Muse announce new album "Drones" for June

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
James Taylor is going to take the top spot on the Billboard album chart this week, if that gives you some idea how diluted that honor has become.

Album charts are basically irrelevant now. #1 means nothing unless it's some special circumstance (high sales, surprise release, reach it after debut) or if you hold it down for multiple weeks. Now, most of the albums the debut at #1 drop like a rock after week 1. Used to follow album charts but gave up after each week had a new top 5 that all put up mediocre numbers before disappearing into oblivion the next week.

Last edited:
Psycho is bad but I really like the rest of the album (save for one other song I deleted a while ago). Reapers is outstanding. Watching their concert right now that directv showed last night

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think the 2nd Law was so bad that it inadvertently made Drones overrated by comparison. The go-to defense of this album is "well, it's better than 2nd Law." Uh...ok?

I think the 2nd Law was so bad that it inadvertently made Drones overrated by comparison. The go-to defense of this album is "well, it's better than 2nd Law." Uh...ok?

Good god no, 2nd Law stank but it at least had a couple of tolerable songs.

Drones is almost Brokencyde/Insane Clown Posse levels of terrible.

Muse have been heading downhill ever since Origin of Symmetry. There was a barely-perceptible decline to Absolution, but from there it's been a plummet from one album to the next.

Honestly, I think Drones is still worse than The 2nd Law. That album may have been overblown and stupid, but there were still songs I enjoyed like the opening three tracks.

There is nothing I like on Drones. It's awful from beginning to end, with the "Reapers" riff as the sole exception.

Man, it's a wash for me. Drones has hands-down the worst lyrics in Muse's discography (which is saying something; they've never really been a strong point), and they ruin every single song, but the music is mostly safe and bland Muse-sounding stuff. It's rarely that horrible instrumentally, except for Revolt. How was that even a thing.

2nd Law is bad lyrically, but not bad enough to ruin the songs. The music, however, contains some of their most egregious failed experiments. Really embarrassing and unlistenable in spots. I think if you mixed together the worst parts of both albums (Psycho's lyrics over Panic Station's music, for instance), you'd have something to rival BrokenCYDE.

I guess I won't post that Panic Station is one of the few tolerable moments of 2nd Law then! :lol:

It's so cringeworthy, the worst Prince parody you'll ever hear. Survival is fucking bad too. It's like they were told 5 days before the Olympics that a song was needed so they boiled down United States of Eurasia to something single-length.

But, you know, I kind of like Madness.

Last edited:
Madness and Supremacy are the two songs I like on The 2nd Law. The latter is ridiculous of course but it's still a cool riff. On Drones I think Psycho, Dead Inside and especially Reapers and The Handler are all pretty great, again, ignoring the lyrics. Mercy is okay except for the fact that it's a complete rip-off of Starlight. The only truly awful songs are Defector and Revolt.

I saw an interview with Matt Bellamy a few weeks ago and the interviewer was sucking up to him and talking about the great concept of the album and they were having a serious discussion about it. Bellamy also said they'd be coming back next year with their own show that would be more about the drones concept. They'll probably be flying drones about the place, as a "concept". I just can't believe how he can take himself seriously with those lyrics. He really doesn't come off as the most intelligent man.

Last edited:
Oh yeah I forgot about that one. Great song indeed.

Sent from my H60-L04 using U2 Interference mobile app

Listened to it for the first time last night, it's just offensively dull. That's all. It's like a computerised Muse cliché generator.

I'm old enough to remember when Muse got compared to Radiohead. Frankly I'm old enough to remember when Coldplay got compared to Radiohead. Man, those were the days.

I'm old enough to remember when Muse got compared to Radiohead. Frankly I'm old enough to remember when Coldplay got compared to Radiohead. Man, those were the days.

Good days or he time when people were running out of ideas about comparison?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Muse definitely disappointed me. I remember thinking that they would become one of my favorite bands back in like 03'ish. But wow. Nose dive. Too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just listened to Thought Contagion. It sounds more like Coldplay mating with Imagine Dragons.

I guess I can't be surprised after Dig Down. I was unimpressed with the Thriller attempt. But at least we now know what happened to Bono's Ultraviolet jacket after 360. I'll sleep better at night, despite my current inexplicable insomnia.

Just listened to Thought Contagion. It sounds more like Coldplay mating with Imagine Dragons.

I guess I can't be surprised after Dig Down. I was unimpressed with the Thriller attempt. But at least we now know what happened to Bono's Ultraviolet jacket after 360. I'll sleep better at night, despite my current inexplicable insomnia.

Holy shit, that was bad. It’s sad to see the acceleration of their drop off. I’m trying to think if any other band’s discography dropped in quality so quickly.

It's past the point of self parody now, it's just a 'build your own Muse song' pack which gets done to death. Sad!

Holy shit, that was bad. It’s sad to see the acceleration of their drop off. I’m trying to think if any other band’s discography dropped in quality so quickly.
I actually liked Drones better than The 2nd Law.

Idk if Dig Down is meant to be on the new album, or if Thought Contagion even is. I read that they don't intend to release a new album until perhaps next year, but will be dropping singles between now and then.

But yeah, this just feels like a splice of shitty pop. They're very talented musicians, but they're just trying too hard to be quirky here.

Back
Top Bottom