Muse announce new album "Drones" for June

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That song on The 2nd Law with the distorted robot voice that sounded like someone was shredding a washing machine is still one of the more ridiculous songs I've ever listened to.

That song on The 2nd Law with the distorted robot voice that sounded like someone was shredding a washing machine is still one of the more ridiculous songs I've ever listened to.

I never got through 2nd law. Couldn't do it

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I listened to it once. Only songs I remember were the aforementioned and Panic Station. It was all mostly mush other than that.

This album has some decent songs (Dead Inside, The Handler and Reapers), but like The 2nd Law (excluding Madness), it's underwhelming. Drill Sergeant and JFK shouldn't even be on the album.

I can't believe there are critics saying this isn't total garbage.

Last edited:
Jesus christ you guys truly hate this. Just picked it up on vinyl and I'm enjoying it. I've never really given any fucks about lyrics so maybe that's why I like it, the music on this album (though a bit repetitive) is solid and not overly offensive.

Reapers is a tight song.

It's better than the 2nd Law. The Handler is better than anything off of the Resistance and 2nd Law. Reapers has great guitar work and is really good live. Unfortunately, Matt Bellamy's lyrics are laughably bad, ruining a fantastic riff in Psycho. I actually like Dead Inside, it's better than Madness. Mercy and Revolt are awful.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Muse have never been known for quality lyricism, but this is so appallingly bad that I really don't know how anybody on earth can ignore it. I can look past it on Origin of Symmetry or Absolution because half the time the garbage lyrics are completely incoherent and unintelligible anyway. This garbage is all too coherent - and all too monotonous, which makes it worse than the last couple of albums where the overly coherent garbage at least addressed more than one topic. This is just DRONES DRONES DRONES droooone drone I AM A DRONE MAKING YOU A DRONE SO YOU CAN DRONE AT DRONES WHILE DRONING DRONE-DRONE DROOOOONE.

Muse have never been known for quality lyricism, but this is so appallingly bad that I really don't know how anybody on earth can ignore it. I can look past it on Origin of Symmetry or Absolution because half the time the garbage lyrics are completely incoherent and unintelligible anyway. This garbage is all too coherent - and all too monotonous, which makes it worse than the last couple of albums where the overly coherent garbage at least addressed more than one topic. This is just DRONES DRONES DRONES droooone drone I AM A DRONE MAKING YOU A DRONE SO YOU CAN DRONE AT DRONES WHILE DRONING DRONE-DRONE DROOOOONE.

Meh, I get what you're saying and understand that a lot of this album, the cover art and otherwise is really "on the nose", but that's sort of what Muse is about these days. I sort of embrace the whacked out lyrics as a part of the overall package and can't get overly upset about them when I am enjoying the music and Matt's voice so much.

This isn't to say lyrics aren't important, quite the opposite, but I think with Muse especially I've come to not be bothered by lazy/straightforward lyrics that much.

Reapers is the best song they've done in ages.

I don't really listen or pay attention to Muse for the lyrics, but Psycho's is so appalingly bad, yes. Otherwise, they are really bringing the bombast with this album, which is what they are best at, so I am liking it overall.

Muse do the metallic pop filler for me. In a way, they are what Queen would be had they still been playing today. Unashamed, over the top, operatic rock theatrics. Queen had some great lyrics, but like Muse here, they're mostly cheesy. So, I'm not in it for the lyrics with these types of bands. Let me in the sound instead. :wink:

I really like this album. The drill sarge bits and the JFK stuff can make me cringe. I'll end up skipping Psycho and Defector a lot because of this. This is all that I have against this album. The overall heavier sound is most welcoming. Reapers and the Handler are ones I most look forward to on the tour.

Muse do the metallic pop filler for me. In a way, they are what Queen would be had they still been playing today. Unashamed, over the top, operatic rock theatrics. Queen had some great lyrics, but like Muse here, they're mostly cheesy. So, I'm not in it for the lyrics with these types of bands. Let me in the sound instead. :wink:

I really like this album. The drill sarge bits and the JFK stuff can make me cringe. I'll end up skipping Psycho and Defector a lot because of this. This is all that I have against this album. The overall heavier sound is most welcoming. Reapers and the Handler are ones I most look forward to on the tour.

Sums up my thoughts perfectly, right down to the song skips.

One of my coworkers downloaded the album without hearing any of the songs, because he liked "Madness."

Ha. He had quite a shock. I had him check out some of their older stuff. "Huh," was kind of his response. :lol:

I just heard on XM a bit ago that Drones was the first #1 debut for Muse here in the USA, only 84k sold though, can't believe that's enough for the top spot but these are the times we live in i suppose.

I just heard on XM a bit ago that Drones was the first #1 debut for Muse here in the USA, only 84k sold though, can't believe that's enough for the top spot but these are the times we live in i suppose.

James Taylor is going to take the top spot on the Billboard album chart this week, if that gives you some idea how diluted that honor has become.

Back
Top Bottom