Muse announce new album "Drones" for June

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Damn it, I suck at posting on mobile. I meant to quote the two posts where one person said "This is the worst song ever" and then another person said "This song is all kinds of amazing"...referring to the same song.

Cuz that shit made me laugh.

Carry on.

The Handler starts okay, but half way through, it really takes off. This sounds quite a bit better than their last album already with these 5 songs alone. :up:

Half a dozen tracks in, I knew where this album was going.

2580d1370210857-recycle-bin-empty-jpg

From a lyrical perspective, this has to be among the worst concept albums I've ever heard. It's not the music, it's not the performances, it's Matt. You remember the lyrics to Psycho and Dead Inside? That's all you get from this album. There is nothing more to it. No characters, no depth, no personality. Just a narrator of some kind talking to nameless people and/or "drones" and/or the government for nearly an hour. YOU'LL NEVER TAKE MY BRAIN. YOU ALREADY HAVE MY BRAIN. WE'RE ALL BRAIN STEALERS OR BRAIN STOLENERS DAMN YOU GOVERNMENT. OH GREAT NOW THE WHOLE COUNTRY'S GONE. WHY DIDN'T YOU GUYS LISTEN TO MUSE WHILE YOU HAD THE CHANCE?

It's really fucking horrendous stuff.

Musically, this is a lot less irritating and embarrassing than 2nd Law. It's OK. The riff from Psycho is pretty indicative of what you're going to get throughout: Muse-sounding stuff that will remind you of Bellamy's awesome guitar tone of days gone by, but you won't remember any of it later. While not quite as many, there are some cheesy pop moments; Revolt sounds like exactly like a Kraft single would if such things were for listening instead of eating.

There's also a dearth of musical creativity. Aftermath rips off U2 (the intro is just One slowed down), The Globalist is Pink Floyd worship. Mercy sounds like a bargain bin Starlight. Hell, the only thing on this I would consider returning to for any reason is Reapers and even that isn't a game changer, just not worth skipping. And alright, the last 5 minutes of the album is pleasant in an Exogenesis sort of way.

In case you couldn't tell, I really don't like this album.

Last edited:
Oh it's leaked has it? Can't wait to see how much this sucks.

I'm doing Von Schloopy proud with how much I'm looking forward to hating this album.

At least Reapers is not bad. I feel like spawning with Kate Hudson broke his brain. I mean I never thought Muse lyrics were particularly inspiring or beautiful, its the amazing music and manic skills I love, but these lyrics this time are god awful. That drill sergeant stuff is bloody shit. And i see they actually have it as the start to their shows. WHY???
That said, I'd still see them live every time because i fucking love them live. It made me like 2nd law. They are THAT good live. :drool:

Fuck me this drill sergeant shit really is the worst. How can anybody possibly stand on a stage and have that playing behind them and not feel embarrassed.

Then again clearly Matt Bellamy thinks "your arse belongs to me now" is a perfectly reasonable thing to sing. I know I was bagging out Bono's post-Pop lyricism elsewhere on this forum the other day, but even his worst dreck has been a smidgen above that.

I nearly didn't go to the last Muse tour, but the setlists were good enough that I went - come on, Agitated! But this time around, geez, they're going to have to have some really special stuff to persuade me to buy a ticket.

A couple of decent riffs (namely those from Psycho), but the rest is a disaster! I'm glad I didn't bought tickets to see them here in Portugal this summer.

Just wait until you get to Revolt, Ax. It's so bad, even Muse's hardcore fans hate it. It's the Crazy Tonight of an infinitely worse album than NLOTH.

I nearly didn't go to the last Muse tour, but the setlists were good enough that I went - come on, Agitated! But this time around, geez, they're going to have to have some really special stuff to persuade me to buy a ticket.

We must have been at the same show. I LOVED it! I think they played about 5 of my favorite songs. Minus the ol undisclosed desires :|

They usually are good at pulling out a few wild choices, certainly better than u2! haha! I was hoping we might have another december viewing since they're heading to south america in oct, but Dom has mentioned 2016. Perhaps we might get a muse/u2 stadium tour? :lol::lol: ...... (i want arenas though)

Half a dozen tracks in, I knew where this album was going.

2580d1370210857-recycle-bin-empty-jpg

From a lyrical perspective, this has to be among the worst concept albums I've ever heard. It's not the music, it's not the performances, it's Matt. You remember the lyrics to Psycho and Dead Inside? That's all you get from this album. There is nothing more to it. No characters, no depth, no personality. Just a narrator of some kind talking to nameless people and/or "drones" and/or the government for nearly an hour. YOU'LL NEVER TAKE MY BRAIN. YOU ALREADY HAVE MY BRAIN. WE'RE ALL BRAIN STEALERS OR BRAIN STOLENERS DAMN YOU GOVERNMENT. OH GREAT NOW THE WHOLE COUNTRY'S GONE. WHY DIDN'T YOU GUYS LISTEN TO MUSE WHILE YOU HAD THE CHANCE?

It's really fucking horrendous stuff.

Musically, this is a lot less irritating and embarrassing than 2nd Law. It's OK. The riff from Psycho is pretty indicative of what you're going to get throughout: Muse-sounding stuff that will remind you of Bellamy's awesome guitar tone of days gone by, but you won't remember any of it later. While not quite as many, there are some cheesy pop moments; Revolt sounds like exactly like a Kraft single would if such things were for listening instead of eating.

There's also a dearth of musical creativity. Aftermath rips off U2 (the intro is just One slowed down), The Globalist is Pink Floyd worship. Mercy sounds like a bargain bin Starlight. Hell, the only thing on this I would consider returning to for any reason is Reapers and even that isn't a game changer, just not worth skipping. And alright, the last 5 minutes of the album is pleasant in an Exogenesis sort of way.

In case you couldn't tell, I really don't like this album.

Oh man, I can't wait to hear this now. :hyper:

I'm already done with this band, but I'm aMUSEd (Ha!) to see how bad this is.

Just wait until you get to Revolt, Ax. It's so bad, even Muse's hardcore fans hate it. It's the Crazy Tonight of an infinitely worse album than NLOTH.

Oh god, can't wait.

I'm on Defector right now. Apparently I can't control Matt Bellamy. I wish somebody would control his dumb fucking lyrics. He may never have been the best lyricist, but ugh they're so bloody prominent and unavoidable here.

We must have been at the same show. I LOVED it! I think they played about 5 of my favorite songs. Minus the ol undisclosed desires :|

They usually are good at pulling out a few wild choices, certainly better than u2! haha! I was hoping we might have another december viewing since they're heading to south america in oct, but Dom has mentioned 2016. Perhaps we might get a muse/u2 stadium tour? :lol::lol: ...... (i want arenas though)

I went to both nights the last time they came. It was worth it for the likes of Citizen Erased, Fury, and Agitated, even if that also meant I copped garbage like Undisclosed Desires, Eurasia, and that hysterically awful closer with Survival. I like that they throw a few bones to the casuals and old school fans ... I was desperately hoping Melbourne might get Dead Star, my favourite Muse song, since they played it a few times earlier that year, but no luck.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't done Etihad yet, but god I can't see this album catching on enough to justify a stadium tour.

Also, is Matt singing "I'm not the fixer" in Defector? Well I'm glad to know he's not Christopher Pyne. "I'm a fixer. I fixed it." :barf:

Ahahahaha how fucking bad is the chorus of Revolt oh my GOD.

I keep waiting for the snippet of Sexy Boots.

Good grief The Globalist really is a Pink Floyd wankfest isn't it.

And I've got an awful Dream Theater vibe from some of this stuff, every time Matt tries to play too fast.

Seriously though, isn't the intro of Aftermath just One's intro slowed down? It was driving me crazy. Clearly Muse picked something up from touring with U2 (Big Freeze is another example).

Last edited:
Hahaha, it's like One and a shitty Pink Floyd cover band had an abortion.

The worst part of all of it is that if they dropped the 'concept' and the awful lyrics, they have the bones of an enjoyable, though admittedly brainless, rocker of an album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

What's with the fucking whistling in The Globalist? It's not the Kill Bill soundtrack

I think Reapers, The Handler and The Globalist are pretty fucking good. Aftermath is nice as well. Dead Inside is a fun single. Revolt was absolutely horrendous.

Yeah it's clearly a modern Muse album, with a few more good songs than normal. I just block out the lyrics entirely.

Dead Inside gave me hope when I heard it on the radio - thought it was interesting, modern, but still rocking. Then I read the words. Then I heard the other songs.

The part where they actually say dead inside is a low point of a very, very low album.

They've gone past Queen-level absurdity to pure cringe.

If it's just for laughs, I'd recommend The 2nd Law. That one is truly terrible.

I have never heard a Muse album in full but the hatred has got me keen for this. I don't like them anyway so could be fun.

Oh my god we need to have a listening party for this. Just when you think Muse can't get any worse, they do on this album. Liking this album is possibly a sign of brain damage.

drooone drone DROOOONES drone DRONE drone drone DROOOOONES

Oh my god we need to have a listening party for this. Just when you think Muse can't get any worse, they do on this album. Liking this album is possibly a sign of brain damage.

drooone drone DROOOONES drone DRONE drone drone DROOOOONES
EURAAAAY-SIAAAAAAAA EURAAAAAAAY-SIAAAAAA says hello.

EURAAAAY-SIAAAAAAAA EURAAAAAAAY-SIAAAAAA says hello.

Jesus that's an awful fucking song.

But at least it's one song, not just a whole goddamn album of drone-drone DRONE drone DROOOONES.

I wonder what Drones is about? Too subtle.

Muse really have a knack for making the most ridiculous songs. If you'd make a top 10 of the most ridiculous songs of the past ten years, Muse would have like five songs in it. United States of Eurasia, Unsustainable....

Back
Top Bottom