Mogwai

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They have numerous different people with vastly different opinions and tastes reviewing and posting news articles, it's to be expected that they aren't going to be remotely consistent because of that. A few days ago they posted a news article about Lupe Fiasco where the person who wrote the article essentially just used it as a chance to tell everyone how terrible he thought Lupe Fiasco is. The editor actually left a comment inside the article saying that he thought Lupe and his albums were great. It's all pretty silly, but what are you gonna do. Different people like different things, music and art in general is all ultra-subjective. :shrug:

That all said, the review for The Hawk is Howling is still one of most poorly written reviews I've read. Let me once again post this horrifying big of imagery from it:

"The album just feels redundant and tenuous, like the last empty cloud trailing behind a fierce storm."

:scratch:

Then I wonder what exactly the editor would have to be on to be okay with that getting posted.

Mogwai is the shieeeet.

I saw them play a few years ago... madness. It was excellent. If you aren't into them too much, here are a few tracks I recommend:

Cody, Waltz For Aidian, Chocky, Christmassteps, I Know You Are But What Am I?, Glasgow Mega-Snake, Acid Food, I Chose Horses, We're No Here, Take Me Somewhere Nice, 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong, Tracy, and so many more. Damn. I thought I'd list a couple.. haha.

Here's a link where you can download the albums and stuff. Mogwai is amazing... :drool:
quack

If you can't get in, the password is 'quack'. The archive is excellent for downloading music by the way. :wink:

I just heard a Mogwai song for the first time, something off the new album. I then sought out a few others and most of what I heard, I liked.

Consider me intrigued ...

Did someone say Mogwai?

gizmo_l.jpg

Sorry, saw this thread and had to. :lol:

I've heard:

I Know You Are but What Am I
Kids Will Be Skeletons
The Sun Smells Too Loud
Wake Up and Go Beserk

You have great things to look forward to Cori, as while I like the songs you mentioned, they do have better. :up:

Government Commissions is a good starting place, it's a collection of live recorded versions from the BBC that essentially is supposed to be a "best of" without being a "best of". You kind of get to hear tidbits from all their albums on there, and can hear their live sound as well. Pretty much all of the albums are quite good though, so you'd be good with studio albums as well.

Mogwai rawks. :up:

I've been obsessed with 'Scotland's Shame' lately, it's probably even my favorite song from Hawk right now (yes, even more than Batcat). Love how it just keeps building and building and building, love the keyboards and organ as well. :up:

This song takes me somewhere every time I listen to it. Somewhere awesome.

It's one of my favorites too, from a composition standpoint I think "The Precipice" has to be my favorite.

Government Commissions is a good starting place, it's a collection of live recorded versions from the BBC that essentially is supposed to be a "best of" without being a "best of". You kind of get to hear tidbits from all their albums on there, and can hear their live sound as well. Pretty much all of the albums are quite good though, so you'd be good with studio albums as well.

Mogwai rawks. :up:

:hi5:

That album will reel you in.....it happened to me many moons ago.

Mogwai Set to Disintegrate Eardrums on U.S. Tour | Pitchfork

Mogwai:

02-20 Athens, Greece - Gagarin 205
02-21 Thessaloniki, Greece - Mylos
03-03 Brisbane, Australia - The Tivoli
03-04 Sydney, Australia - Enmore Theatre
03-05 Melbourne, Australia - The Forum Theatre
03-07 Meredith, Australia - Golden Plains Festival
03-08 Perth, Australia - Beck's Music Box
03-20 Dublin, Ireland - Dublin Academy
03-21 Dublin, Ireland - Dublin Academy
03-22 Dublin, Ireland - Dublin Academy
04-20 Houston, TX - Numbers %
04-21 New Orleans, LA - Republic %
04-22 Birmingham, AL - Workplay Theatre %
04-23 Asheville, NC - Orange Peel %
04-24 Carrboro, NC - Cats Cradle %
04-25 Philadelphia, PA - Trocadero %
04-27 Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg %
04-28 Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg %
04-29 Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg %
05-01 Boston, MA - Wilbur Theatre %
05-02 Northampton, MA - Pearl Street %
05-03 Montreal, Quebec - Metropolis %
05-04 Toronto, Ontario - Phoenix %
05-05 Buffalo, NY - Tralf Music Hall %
05-06 Pontiac, MI - Crofoot Ballroom %
05-08 Chicago, IL - Congress Theatre %
05-09 Milwaukee, WI - Turner Hall
05-10 Minneapolis, MN- First Avenue
05-11 Omaha, NE - The Slowdown
05-12 Denver, CO - Bluebird Theatre
05-13 Salt Lake City, UT - In The Venue *
05-15 San Diego, CA - Belly Up Tavern
05-16 Los Angeles, CA - Orpheum Theatre

% with the Twilight Sad

*HELL YES

Yeah, they announced the cancellation the afternoon I was going, and I only heard about it from you guys in this thread, otherwise I would have shown up.

Audiophile and I had the pleasure of having our ears shredded repeatedly by the powerhouse that is Mogwai last night. As always, they were fantastic and super loud. It was nice to actually be familiar with the material from The Hawk Is Howling when seeing them this time, as it had not even been released yet when I saw them last year. This should be a relatively accurate version of the setlist (I entered it on my Blackberry and think I have more or less figured out the 2 or 3 songs I didn't recognize at the time):

I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
Hunted By a Freak
Scotland's Shame
Auto-Rock
I Love You, I'm Going To Blow Up Your School
I Know You Are But What Am I?
Tracy or Ithica, not sure of this one
Friend of the Night
Thank You Space Expert
2 Rights Make 1 Wrong
Like Herod
Batcat
Didn't recognize this at the time, and now I straight up don't remember. Killing All the Flies maybe?
We're No Here

Everyone needs to see this band live at some point in their life. Make sure to take earplugs though.

I'm sure no one cares, but it looks like I was surprisingly accurate and only missed one song (and it was luckily one I wasn't sure of). Here's the actual setlist of the SLC show I attended:

mogwai @ in the venue, salt lake city, ut, usa 13/05/09

setlist

# i'm jim morrison, i'm dead
# hunted by a freak
# scotland's shame
# autorock
# i love you, i'm going to blow up your school
# i know you are but what am i?
# small children in the background
# friend of the night
# thank you space expert
# 2 rights make 1 wrong