Mogwai

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mogwai posted this on Facebook:

1st day in Castle Of Doom recording our new album.

:hyper:

Mogwai - Remurdered (not the video) - YouTube

I like the new album cover quite a bit too:

63a64e25.jpg

Tour dates are listed below, on-sale details and ticket links to follow:

April

21 April - Sunshine Theatre, Albuquerque, NM

22 April - Tricky Falls, El Paso, TX

23 April - Granada Theater, Dallas, TX

24 April - Emo's, Austin, TX

25 April - Fitzgerald's, Houston, TX

26 April - Varsity Theatre, Baton Rouge, LA

27 April - Civic Theatre New Orleans, LA

29 April - Grand Central, Miami, FL

30 April - The Ritz Ybor, Tampa, FL

May

1 May - The Beacham Theatre, Orlando FL

3 May - Exit In, Nashville TN

6 May - Amos' Southend, Charlotte NC

7 May - 9:30 Club, Washington, DC

8 May - Union Transfer, Philadelphia, PA

9 May - Terminal 5, New York, NY

10 May - House of Blues, Boston, MA

11 May - Metropolis, Montreal, QC

13 May - Danforth Music Hall, Toronto, ON

14 May - House of Blues, Cleveland, OH

15 May - St. Andrews Hall, Detroit, MI

16 May - The Vic Theatre. Chicago, IL

17 May - Wooly's, Des Moines, IA

18 May - First Avenue, Minneapolis, MN

20 May - Ogden Theatre, Denver, CO

21 May - The Depot, Salt Lake City, UT

24 May - Roseland Theatre, Portland, OR

25 May - Vogue Theatre Vancouver, BC

kleg2b2.gif

I am listening to the les revenants soundtrack while waiting for aaa to come torque wrench this asshole lug nut off my flat tire so I can change it and go home and go to bed. Myself and two other people (who are both stronger than me) couldn't get this thing to loosen, but mogwai makes me a little less homicidal.

Where do I start with Mogwai? I love every random song I've heard but I do not own a record, and this needs to be remedied. Today.

Government Commissions is their best of without being a best of. It's a collection of different live performances at the BBC for John Peel's show. I know a number of people who got that first and thought it was a great starting point. It spans their first 4 or 5 albums and early EPs. Their popular for how good they are live, so you get to experience that, and most of these live versions sound even better than their original album versions.

From Allmusic's review:

"Though die-hard Mogwai fans are probably the most likely to pick this up, Government Commissions works so well that it could also double as a Mogwai greatest-hits collection -- something that can't be said about many other live compilations."

http://www.allmusic.com/album/government-commissions-bbc-sessions-1996-2004-mw0000264962

Mogwai: Government Commissions: BBC Sessions, 1996-2003 | Album Reviews | Pitchfork

Here's one of my favorites from it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCZSMJMLd1o

:up: Will listen later. I also downloaded Government Commissions yesterday but haven't had a chance to listen yet.

Listening now.

I'm seeing them live in about two weeks time. Pretty excited about that too.

My first impression is positive. Mogwai never fail to make a solid album.

It's more focused on creating a mood so it's not their typical quiet-loud stuff. But that's fine by me.

I could see that argument on some of the tracks, but it's not so much that I dislike it (in fact, I like those the best). It's not like 65daysofststic's album from last year or anything.

You should listen to it because it's good, and take your y/n checkboxes and stuff them.

There are some electronic influences but you shouldn't expect beats or anything. Still, it's good so just listen to it.

Definitely agree with the consensus that this is a solid album - maybe not as good as Hardcore Will Never Die But You Will, but still really enjoyable. Not sure what Cobbler will make of it, but curious to see. If you like it, definitely check out 65daysofstatic, since they own the whole "let's make post-rock really electronic" thing, and last year's God Is An Astronaut album, which sounds really electronic even though they made it almost entirely on guitars (plus it owns).

I've only heard Young Team but really enjoyed it. I guess I wouldn't be Cobblering it by listening to this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom