Mogwai

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More infoz:

Mogwai’s Earth Division EP Out September 13th on Sub Pop Records/ September 12th on Rock Action

Having thus far enjoyed a monumental year, with a sold out world tour and the release of the superb and critically acclaimed 7th studio album, Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will, Mogwai are ready to embark upon another chapter. The band are set to release their Earth Division EP, which carries 4- brand new tracks, highlighting a creative departure from the band’s trademark cinematic mantra of pulverizing, scorched guitar riffage, into a more recontextualised domain of hazy electronic distortion, accompanied by spiky wafts of violins, violas, cellos and double bass and jagged keys.

Earth Division discretely demonstrates another side of Mogwai’s stratospheric level of brilliance with its ever-rotating, hypnotic soundtracks that drift dreamy into force, while adsorbing into the paranormal. The EP is a collaboration of barded guitar distortion and haunting piano, which might offer the listener something different, but it still carries the band’s hallmarks.

Earth Division EP tracklisting:

1. Get To France.
2. Hound Of Winter.
3. Drunk And Crazy.
4. Does This Always Happen?

Tour-wise, Mogwai are headlining at this month’s iTunes Festival, at the Roundhouse, London on 23rd July and they will also be appearing at the End Of The Road Festival on 3rd September, which sold out in record time. They will also be returning to the states for a few shows in the beginning of September. For a full list of tour dates check out Mogwai’s tour page at subpop.com!

I've only listened to the last one and Young Team. I don't know why but I haven't felt the urge to dive deeper into their discography. It's something that I have with a lot of post-rock acts. I enjoy the albums but somehow I lose interest.

I've only listened to the last one and Young Team. I don't know why but I haven't felt the urge to dive deeper into their discography. It's something that I have with a lot of post-rock acts. I enjoy the albums but somehow I lose interest.

Well, you should definitely check them out at some point. You're missing out!

I like the EP cover.

mogwai_4.jpg

Not sure, that's how they had it listed in the email they sent out, I just copied and pasted.

We're only a week and half away from the Earth Division EP, but it looks like iTunes just put up an ep of Mogwai's performance at the iTunes Festival. 6 songs, nearly 40 mins of music, $6. Look forward to downloading this tonight! :up:

Tracklist:

Death Rays (Live)
How to Be a Werewolf (Live)
2 Rights Make 1 Wrong (Live)
Rano Pano (Live)
Mexican Grand Prix (Live)
Auto Rock (Live)

I've never cared for rock remixes, so I don't know if I'll get it or not, but I love the cover for the upcoming remix album:

12415.jpg

From their Facebook page:

Morning,
You might have heard us mention over the past few months that we've been in the studio. We've been working on music for the brand new show on Canal+ 'Les Revenants'. The first episode airs tonight at 20:55.

We're pleased to announce that we'll be releasing music from the show early next year. We'll have a strictly limited 10" (2000 only worldwide) out on January 28th and a full OST album released 25th February on CD, LP and Digital Download via Rock Action Records. You can see artwork for the 10" below.

You can find out more about the show here: Les revenants

Looks like it's only an EP, but I'm looking forward to it. They've done a great job with soundtracks in the past.

From their Facebook page (I checked the US iTunes, and it's up):

We mentioned the other day via the @mogwaiband Twitter feed that we had a wee surprise for you today, so here it is: To coincide with the final episodes of 'Les Revenants' tonight on Canal+ we're releasing the digital version of the EP today. In fact, it's available now.

The iTunes link is below and it's also available via other digital retailers such as Amazon etc.

As previously announced the EP will be released physically through our Rock Action Records label as limited 10" on January 28th (2000 worldwide) with a full soundtrack album to follow on February 25th.

Tracklists:
Les Revenants EP:
1. Wizard Motor
2. Soup
3. The Huts (Version)
4. This Messiah Needs Watching (Version)

Les Revenants Soundtrack:
1. Hungry Face
2. Jaguar
3. The Huts
4. Kill Jester
5. This Messiah Needs Watching
6. Whisky Time
7. Special N
8. Relative Hysteria
9. Fridge Magic
10. Portugal
11. Eagle Tax
12. Modern
13. What Are They Doing In Heaven Today?
14. Wizard Motor

The first song on that Les Revenants EP, Wizard Motor, is pretty great. I'm excited for the full soundtrack in February.

All I see on Facebook is u2popmofo likes this Mogwai song on Spotify. u2popmofo likes that Mogwai song on Spotify. Why don't you just marry them omfg

Anyone listened to the Les Revenants soundtrack yet? Seems nice based on Spotify, though probably not as good as Zidane.

I can't figure out if it's getting a physical release in the US, or is going to be digital only. Don't want to import it if I'll be able to get it physically in a month or something. Sub Pop has it listed on their site, but there's no price or release date.

Though it's obvious no one cares, here's an update on the North American release:

For those of you in North America who have been asking you can now buy copies of Les Revenants via Sub Pop Records. Due to unforeseen circumstances entirely outwith our control the album won't be in stores until Tuesday next week however they can buy directly via Sub Pop as of now.

I was going to listen to it at work today, but then realized that would be stupid, so opted to wait until tonight when I have access to my full headphones and not just a single ear bud.

It's admittedly a straight forward soundtrack, more so than Zidane or The Fountain. Still has some good tracks though.

Surprised by how positive Pitchfork was about it today, they've given some notoriously terrible scores to some great Mogwai albums.

Pretty much perfect for listening to while reading. Exactly what I was looking for in terms of tunes to put on for when I'm sitting in front of the station at work and reading while everyone else is asleep. :up:

As with any post-rock, it all tends to blend together for me. This is probably why I like it so much as background music. But aside from Glasgow Mega-Snake and EITS' Day Six, I don't think I can distinguish any of the tracks from each other from any band labeled as such.

Back
Top Bottom