Mogwai

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This was announced a while ago, but I don't recall anyone saying anything about it here.

Special Moves - track list and MP3 giveaway

Mogwai's first live album will be released on Rock Action Records this spring. Released alongside the live film Burning. The formats will be CD and DVD and limited deluxe triple vinyl box set which will also include the DVD of Burning, set lists and a poster. The artwork was designed by Aidan Moffat.

To mark the announcement of the full tracklisting for this release Mogwai will be giving away a free MP3 of the song 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong taken from the Special Moves live CD via the minisite MOGWAI SPECIAL MOVES.

The track list for the the CD/DVD version is:

- I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
- Friend Of The Night
- Hunted By A Freak
- Mogwai Fear Satan
- Cody
- You Don't Know Jesus
- I Know You Are But What Am I
- I Love You, I'm Going To Blow Up Your School
- 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong
- Like Herod
- Glasgow Megasnake

The track list for the vinyl version is

- I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
- Friend Of The Night
- Hunted By A Freak
- Mogwai Fear Satan
- Cody
- You Don't Know Jesus
- I Know You Are But What Am I
- i Love You, I'm Going To Blow Up Your School
- 2 Rights Make 1 Wrong
- Like Herod
- Glasgow Megasnake
- Yes! I Am A Long Way From Home
- Scotlands Shame
- New Paths To Helicon Part 1
- Batcat
- Thank You Space Expert
- The Precipice

The extra songs featured on the vinyl release will be available as a free download with the CD.

That's awesome! Hopefully it'll get a North American release, as I'd love to have the DVD.

It appears the DVD has a different tracklist:

Songs featured in Burning:

01 The Precipice
02 I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead
03 Hunted by a Freak
04 Like Herod
05 New Paths to Helicon pt1
06 Mogwai Fear Satan
07 Scotland's Shame
08 Batcat

Yeah, but every song is probably 10 minutes minimum.

Friggin' Mogwai.

Luckily Pitchfork reviewed it today, or I would have missed Special Moves' release tomorrow. It's receiving some solid reviews as well:

Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Mogwai: Special Moves

allmusic ((( Special Moves [CD/DVD] > Overview )))

As an FYI if you're interested, Amazon has the CD / DVD combo on sale for $14.99. It's $30 on Mogwai's site, so the Amazon deal may end up being quite good. It apparently comes with 6 song downloads as well, so it should be quite a bit of music for the price. Looking forward to it. :up:

EDIT: The CD part of Special Moves appears to be streamable here:

http://www.spinner.com/new-releases#/16

I don't think Matator released it, so it could possibly be difficult to find at a shop.

Album was sitting on my doorstep when I got home. It apparently comes with a code for 6 extra songs as downloads (extremely high quality wav files, by the way). These are the bonus tracks:

Yes! I Am A Long Way From Home
Scotland's Shame
New Paths To Helicon Pt 1
Batcat
Thank You Space Expert
The Precipice

Add in the CD of 11 tracks, and DVD of 8, and this is a killer deal for $15 on Amazon! Tracks sound great so far, I'll report back after listening through it all.

This copy of New Paths 1 is absolutely fantastic.

:drool:

Still :sad: about that show being cancelled in '08. I hope the gap between appearances in Boston isn't as big as the last one.

Were it not a live album with no new tracks, Special Moves would absolutely be on my year end list.

Pitchfork: Mogwai Announce New Album
Scottish slow-burn post-rock kings Mogwai report on their website that their new album comes baring the ridiculously badass title Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will. It'll be out February 14 in Europe via the band's own Rock Action label, and one day after that, their new North American label Sub Pop will release it over here.

Paul Savage, producer of the band's landmark Young Team album, once again manned the boards for this one, and we've got the tracklist below. Let's all pause an imagine how a Mogwai song called "You're Lionel Richie" might possibly sound. A limited edition version of the album will come with a bonus CD containing the 26-minute long piece "The Singing Mountain", which was originally recorded for Monument for Forgotten Future, an art installation in Essen, Germany by Douglas Gordon and Olaf Nicolai.

Early next year, the band will tour Europe, Japan, and America. We've got their dates below.

Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will:

01 White Noise
02 Mexican Grand Prix
03 Rano Pano
04 Death Rays
05 San Pedro
06 Letters to the Metro
07 George Square Thatcher Death Party
08 How to Be a Werewolf
09 Too Raging to Cheers
10 You're Lionel Richie

Mogwai:

01-26 Stirling, Scotland - Tolbooth
01-27 Paisley, Scotland - Paisley Town Hall
01-28 Perth, Scotland - Perth Theatre
01-29 Aberdeen, Scotland - The Lemon Tree
01-30 Glasgow, Scotland - Grand Ole Opry
02-02 Tokyo, Japan - TBA
02-13 Belfast, Northern Ireland - Mandela Hall
02-14 Galway, Ireland - The Live Lounge
02-15 Dublin, Ireland - Olympia Theatre
02-17 Bournemouth, England - O2 Academy
02-18 Cardiff, Wales - Cardiff University
02-19 Bristol, England - O2 Academy
02-20 Leeds, England - O2 Academy
02-21 Edinburgh, Scotland - Picture House
02-23 Oxford, England - The Regal
02-24 Birmingham, England - Birmingham Institute
02-25 London, England - Brixton O2 Academy
02-26 Manchester, England - Manchester Academy
02-27 Gateshead, England - The Sage
03-06 Frankfurt, Germany - Mousonturm
03-07 Munich, Germany - Backstage
03-08 Vienna, Austria - WuK
03-09 Bologna, Italy - Estragon
03-10 Milan, Italy - Alcatraz
03-11 Zurich, Switzerland - Rote Fabrik
03-13 Luxembourg, Luxembourg - Den Atelier
03-14 Cologne, Germany - Stollwerck
03-15 Amsterdam, Netherlands - Paradiso
03-17 Paris, France - Trianon
03-18 Lille, France - Aeronef
03-19 Strasbourg, France - La Laiterie
03-20 Lyon, France - Transbordeur
03-21 Nice, France - Theatre Lino Ventura
03-22 Toulouse, France - Le Bikini
03-24 Bordeaux, France - Rockschool Barbey
03-25 Caen, France - BBC
03-26 Brussels, Belgium - AB
03-28 Hamburg, Germany - Gruenspan
03-29 Berlin, Germany - Postbahnhof
03-30 Copenhagen, Denmark - Vega
03-31 Aarhus, Denmark - Voxhall
04-01 Gothenburg, Sweden - Tradgarn
04-02 Oslo, Norway - Rockefeller
04-03 Stockholm, Sweden - Debaser Medis
04-05 Helsinki, Finland - Tavastia
04-19 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
04-20 Philadelphia, PA - Starlight Ballroom
04-21-22 New York, NY - Webster Hall
04-23 Boston, MA - Paradise Rock Club
04-25 Montreal, Quebec - Olympia Theater
04-26 Toronto, Ontario - Phoenix Concert Theatre
04-27 Pittsburgh, PA - Mr. Smalls Theatre
04-28 Detroit, MI - St. Andrews Hall
04-29 Chicago, IL - Metro
04-30 Omaha, NE - Slowdown
05-02 Denver, CO - Bluebird Theater
05-03 Salt Late City, UT - In the Venue
05-05 Portland, OR - Wonder Ballroom
05-06 Vancouver, British Columbia - Commodore Ballroom
05-07 Seattle, WA - Showbox at the Market
05-09 San Francisco, CA - Regency Ballroom
05-10 Los Angeles, CA - Mayan Theater
05-11 Solana Beach, CA - Belly Up Tavern
05-13 Albuquerque, NM - Sunshine Theatre
05-15 Dallas, TX - Granada Theatre
05-16 Austin, TX - Stubbs Waller Creek
05-17 Houston, TX - Warehouse Live
05-19 Birmingham, AL - Workplay Theater
05-20 Atlanta, GA - Center Stage

:up: :up: :up:

Mogwai always have the best titles.

I forgot you were in Boston, Powerhour. I was just there a few weeks ago. First time visiting, it was a lot of fun.

Sounds good, and I really like the album cover.

I really like the new album cover as well. :up:

On first listen, I liked the song, but didn't love it. Listened to it a few more times, and really dig it now. It's sorta like The Sun Smells Too Loud from the last album, but I think I enjoy this one more.

Been listening to Young Team and I really like it. Any idea where I should go next? I've listened to Rock Action one time and didn't seem impressed by it. Hopefully they're not one of those bands that peaked way too early...

I like Rock Action, but it's probably my least favorite Mogwai album, so I wouldn't normally recommend listening to it until you've heard more of their albums. In many ways, Young Team is their best, as it's pretty much the blueprint of what modern post-rock bands turned into. That said, I personally like all of their albums a good deal.

As to what you should hear next, I'd probably either just go in chronological order (Come On Die Young), or backwards and hear the compilation of their singles prior to Young Team (Ten Rapid), or maybe just flat out listen to their unofficial best of (Government Commissions) and decide what songs you like from that and choose the next album that way. I realize many people try to avoid "best of's", but Government Commissions is actually a live compilation of BBC Sessions, and I know at least 4 or 5 people personally who became huge Mogwai fans after getting it. They're famous for their list sound and shows, so it's a great way to both see what all the fuss is about, but also get to know a cross section of their best songs. I know it made me a much bigger Mogwai fan when it came out, so I highly recommend it.

Government Commissions, :up:

Also :up: to 'Rano Pano', some new sounds there and I like it, but I also got a 'Sun Smells Too Loud' vibe from the composition, not a bad thing, but an odd mirror to the set up to Hawk Is Howling's release what with it also being available in advance for free download. Anyway I'm excited for this album like nobody's business. :hyper:

Agreed, though none of the song titles come close to the awesomeness of "I Love You, I'm Gonna Blow Up Your School" this time around.

Agreed, though none of the song titles come close to the awesomeness of "I Love You, I'm Gonna Blow Up Your School" this time around.

Not to mention Stupid Prick Gets Chased By the Police and Loses His Slut Girlfriend :D

Back
Top Bottom