Mogwai

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
they actually played "Batcat" in their gig here in Mexico, it was amazing

if you are seeing the live don't forget earplugs!

I'm seeing them Monday in Atlanta. Leaving for Atlanta early tomorrow morning. I'm psyched. :rockon:

Radiohead is not the only band with nerdy lists of what songs have been played on tours. This site keeps setlists of every Mogwai show.
http://brightlight.youngteam.co.uk/

Here's a break out of what they've played, and how many times, on tour this year (as of last night):

batcat (22 shows)
the precipice (22)
friend of the night (21)
i'm jim morrison, i'm dead (21)
hunted by a freak (20)
i love you, i'm going to blow up your school (19)
like herod (19)
thank you space expert (19)
scotland's shame (17)
2 rights make 1 wrong (16)
we're no here (11)
helicon 1 (9)
ithica 27o9 (9)
mogwai fear satan (8)
yes! i am a long way from home (8)
tracy (7)
summer (6)
cody (4)
ex-cowboy (4)
a cheery wave from stranded youngsters (3)
katrien (3)
secret pint (3)
radar maker (2)
r u still in 2 it? (2)
summer [priority version] (2)
with portfolio (2)
christmas steps (1)
helicon 2 (1)
kids will be skeletons (1)
may nothing but happiness come through your door (1)
stanley kubrick (1)

Got back from Atlanta yesterday afternoon. Here's the setlist:

mogwai @ variety playhouse, atlanta, ga, usa 15/09/08

setlist

the precipice
friend of the night
ithica 27o9
thank you space expert
hunted by a freak
summer
i love you, i'm going to blow up your school
helicon 1
i'm jim morrison, i'm dead (abandoned due to technical difficulties)
scotland's shame
tracy
christmas steps
like herod
batcat

encore:
we're no here

The venue was extremely cool. They had stadium style seating, a standard GA section up front, and then little GA step levels on the side so you could see over people's heads if you wanted to stand a littler further back. Fuck Buttons opened and played their entire album, which was entertaining enough that I bought it. Looking at recent Mogwai setlists, I was worried the show would be slightly less enjoyable because they had been playing a huge amount of the upcoming album, which I haven't heard. Luckily, the new songs sounded fantastic, and one of them (either Thank You Space Expert or I Love You, I'm Going to Blow Up Your School) was one of my favorite songs of the night. It was awesome to get 4 songs from the Young Team/Ten Rapid era, and I was very happy to get a couple from Mr. Beast (which still is one of my favorite albums of the last few years). Summer, Hunted By a Freak, Helicon 1, Friend of the Night, Christmas Steps, and We're No Here were huge highlights for me (particularly since Summer and Christmas Steps were the first Mogwai songs I fell in love with). Like Herod was epically long as expected, and flew directly into Batcat, so I actually didn't even think they played Batcat after the show (shows how few times I've heard it I guess). Hopefully more of you get to see them as well, as they do not disappoint in any way.

As a humorous side note, they had a German comedian come on before the set (or someone faking a German accent at least), telling jokes about Mogwai. One of the jokes seemed extremely fitting. "What's the difference between Mogwai and a bucket of shit? The bucket of shit doesn't have dozens of watered down imitators."

:up:

This is the setlist they played at the festival where I saw them:
# the precipice
# friend of the night
# (new)
# helicon 1
# (new)
# hunted by a freak
# (new)
# (new)
# batcat
# 2 right make 1 wrong
# we're no here

I might check out their stuff too, as it was a great gig (caught the last half or so of it).
:)

The band has called 'Government Comissions (BBC Sessions 1996-2003)' their "unofficial best of". I think it's a really good starting place, as they cover all of their albums up to that point. I'd go with this, as it shows what they sound like live, which they're famous for.

In regards to actual albums: Young Team, their first album, is what most critics consider their "classic" album. Come on Die Young, Happy Songs For Happy People, and Mr. Beast seem to be fan favs.

You really can't miss with any of those in my opinion, but Government Commissions is probably the best "starting point" for newbies.

You really can't miss with any of those in my opinion, but Government Commissions is probably the best "starting point" for newbies.

Totally agree. That was my first introduction to them too and since has become one of my best loved albums period. Mr. Beast and Young Team are great too. Especially now since YT has recently been reissued.

Good review up on Allmusic for The Hawk is Howling. They gave it the same score they gave Mr. Beast and Happy Songs for Happy People, which excites me as I absolutely love both of those (Mr. Beast was essentially my favorite album of the year in 2006).

allmusic ((( The Hawk Is Howling > Review )))

I was checking out some of their stuff on youtube and it isn't half bad... What album should I start with?

Not HALF BAD? Pshhhhh.

And if you want to get into them probably best to start at the beginning with Young Team, but for a more accessible start go with Mr. Beast.

That sucks that it was canceled, Powerhouse. I feel your pain having had to skip seeing them for work previously.

When I read this on All Music: It's no secret that Mogwai loves metal and has never shied away from heaviness in their own music, but even their most churning workouts seemed to hover; "Batcat" hits the ground hard, and with a blunter impact, than any of their previous guitar workouts.

I did this: :drool::hyper::drool:

Am i right in saying Mogwai hail from the same shores as myself?

You would be correct.

The show I was supposed to see on Saturday got canceled too, quite saddening since I've been looking forward to it since the beginning of the summer, but hopefully they'll be rescheduled.

Yeah, I hope they do reschedule for your and Powerhour (not Powerhouse as previously written...) 's sakes. I feel both of your pain.

Speaking of pain, did anyone actually read (not just look at the score) for the Pitchfork review? It is truly a masterpiece of complete horse shit, and I don't say that just because of the score, but because the writing is absolutely miserable. Please let me share the absolute worst symbolism I have ever read:

"The album just feels redundant and tenuous, like the last empty cloud trailing behind a fierce storm."

:eeklaugh:

Pitchfork should be deleted from the internet. The exist only to write scathing reviews of artists that everyone else acclaims.

I'm upset the new album is in crappy digipack and that it's so hard to get the "Batcat" EP in Canada. I'm thinking of trying to get the Japanese version, too, so I can get Batcat's extra songs and "Dracula Family".

So any fears I may have had with the sound of 'The Sun Smells Too Loud' have been absolutely ANNIHILATED by 'Batcat'. Holy schnikies, that is one bad azz mambo jambo of a song. It's like Mr. Beast had sex with the devil and this is their unholy love child. The video....yiiiii-iiikes! It does work with the music though.

MySpaceTV Videos: Batcat by mogwai
I, too, was disappointed by "Sun Smells Too Loud" -- and such a great title! The electronics and guitar work are annoying. I heard "The Precipice" in concert, though, in late June and it was awesome!
Pitchfork should be deleted from the internet. The exist only to write scathing reviews of artists that everyone else acclaims.

Yeah, Pitchfork can be real bastards. Very mean-spirited. I got so mad when they said Robert Smith was "bitching" when he publicly condemned itunes for charging $10 for his remix EP and got it and the record label to reduce the price; what they unfairly call bitching, I call standing up for fans.

They love crappy indie bands that can't sing like "High Places" and "Vivian Girls".

I still haven't received my copy, but I'm too busy anyway, but I look forward to it. Not expecting too much, though. I'm not the biggest Mogwai fan, though I am an obsessive completist.

I also really enjoyed "7:25" and "Half-Time" off their "Zidane" soundtrack released last year.

They love crappy indie bands that can't sing like "High Places" and "Vivian Girls".

I also really enjoyed "7:25" and "Half-Time" off their "Zidane" soundtrack released last year.

Agreed!

I'm convinced that PF has gone the way of the elitist. The very music they use to promote, love, and admire is the same music that they just seem to ridicule which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Hell, even if bands like Mogwai become more accepeted by the public why do you give a damn? It's still awesome music.

Back
Top Bottom