Modest Mouse Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, really had a blast with the last Modest Mouse album. They found a way to make something called "Florida" awesome. America's Penis doesn't deserve that.

It really grew on me. I liked it quite a bit the year it came out, so I'm surprised how much more respect I have for it now. It's such a fun and relatively accessible poppy album for a band that was so decisively hated or loved 10+ years ago.

It really grew on me. I liked it quite a bit the year it came out, so I'm surprised how much more respect I have for it now. It's such a fun and relatively accessible poppy album for a band that was so decisively hated or loved 10+ years ago.

Definitely. I feel they've evolved from this sort of self-conscious, calculated style to a more loose, free-wheeling one, but still have the chops to make a song like "Little Motel" as epic as possible.

I dig The Moon & Antarctica, but there's something about it that holds it back from being as great of an album as I regard the last one to be.

I think it's great how there will be kids out there who pick up one of the recent albums and like it enough to eventually get Lonesome Crowded West or something like that. It's like the band is helping to expand mainstream music fans' exposure to interesting music, which is cool.

I've read and heard the entire range of responses as to how they are live, from mindblowingly fantastic to beyond terrible (I've never been overly impressed from any of their TV performances I've seen). I've put off seeing them for years because of being scared I'd be really let down, but I'm finally seeing them for the first time next month. I've been a fan long enough that I'm hoping I can enjoy whatever it is they'll play, even if it doesn't sound quite as good as I want it to. Maybe I'll luck out and catch them on one of their great nights.

By the way, Best Buy is selling the new EP for $6 this week. $6 for almost 34 mins of music isn't bad at all. I've paid more than double for punk records shorter than that!

I saw them live last year at The Joint here in Las Vegas which is a nice little venue that holds about 1,400 people. It was all general admission so I was right in front of the stage. They were very good and I would definitely see them again. Isaac didn't say much but that was fine. It was pretty annoying to watch the crowd go wild for Float On but what are ya gonna do.

I picked up the new EP today. I'll give it a listen later.

Scumbo:

I am decidedly not a fan of the band's, but, when they opened for REM (after the National played, I might add) they were actually pretty good. I sure did not mind listening to Marr play, that's for sure.

I only have Good News for People Who Love Bad News. I tried to get into it when I first bought it but the album wasn't doing anything for me so I left it to gather dust on the shelf. Then some months later I was going through one of my purges and listened to the album again to finally make a decision on whether I was going to chuck it out or not - and was surprised by how many songs actually stuck in my memory! So now I like it.

Sometimes I feel like listening to Modest Mouse further but to be honest I'm just not too crazy about the lead vocals, which for me is often a deciding factor in how interested I am in the band.

One great thing about that "Best Male Vocalists" thread was her friend getting pissed off at others for insinuating a sexual encounter of some kind even after she said "if only you knew what we did after the show HA."

One great thing about that "Best Male Vocalists" thread was her friend getting pissed off at others for insinuating a sexual encounter of some kind even after she said "if only you knew what we did after the show HA."

That son of a bitch Morrissey is probably to blame for this too.

If it weren't for him and The damn Smiths, none of us would ever make those kind of assumptions.

:tsk:

All I could think of was that one encounter about "being a kid" that you were a part of imps.

Those encounters still happen pretty frequently. Fortunately, being four years older than you gets me safely out of getting my ass kicked at a Shuttlecock show.

The problem with my attacker is that he blends in so easily. What if I'm in the room with a bunch of sexy people?

You'll be blindsided. Now I know what that Bon Iver song was about.

I'm seeing these guys tonight for the first time, looking forward to it. I found out that Marr unfortunately isn't touring with them right now, but they have the former guitar player from Grandaddy filling in, which is pretty awesome considering I loved them too. Hopefully it's a good show, as I know they can be on either end of the spectrum live.

SLC - Sept. 1, 2009

Dramamine
Gravity Rides Everything
Fly Trapped In A Jar
Never Ending Math Equation
3rd Planet
Here It Comes
Satellite Skin
King Rat
Dashboard
The Whale Song
Blame It On The Tetons