Mock me forever and a day, but do me this favour. Listen to Gang of Youths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
Gang of Youths are a five-year-old Australian rock band.

They've been gathering steam reasonably quickly; in 2015 they released The Positions, which contained two pretty huge singles, one of which has become one of my favourite songs:

The song is about lead singer David Le'aupepe's attempted suicide and was written whilst he was supporting his (late) ex-wife through terminal cancer; he was 24 when she passed away.

Oh, and last year they covered All My Friends, and this should be all you need to convince you of this band's talents. They did it justice, which is near-fucking impossible to do.

Three weeks ago they released their sophomore effort, Go Farther in Lightness, which is fucking fantastic, and remarkably, has barely any flat spots, despite its 77-minute runtime.

Tonight, I saw them live.
Tonight, I witnessed a revolution.

I'm still struggling to point into words how phenomenal the gig was; I'll post a link later this week that sums up my thoughts more accurately. But my main point is this: get on to Gang of Youths now, because in a few years time they are going to be one of the biggest bands in the world.

Go Farther in Lightness is on Spotify, look it up.

Thank me later.

Did Nick save Larry from these guys?

I'll listen to them, but I'm disappointed that they're just a five year old band and not a band of five year olds. That would be something.

I nearly asked about this band in the Aussie music thread a while back, because a record club I belong to was really hyping them.

Anyone who likes The National will like them. They're a heady mix of The National, Springsteen, U2, a bit of The War on Drugs and contain the swagger of INXS.

They've been promoted to death on JJJ but I can't say anything of theirs has particularly impressed me enough to listen to the album.

I checked them out live at laneway last year and they were an unexpected highlight. Magnolia is massive live. Very INXS-like feel to the performance.

Still haven't been swayed to investigate them further but a new album presents a new opportunity to.

I was supposed to interview the band but it never really eventuated properly because the singer had been drinking like a fish and was super rowdy.

I know like one Gang of Youths song, and... yeah, I gotta admit, they did catch my attention. This was a couple of years ago now, to be clear.

Sorry, Cobbs, I gave them a shot but they didn't do it for me. I couldn't get through the new album and "Magnolia" doesn't excite me either. Too National-y, and he sings in a vocal style I find pretty bland.

But new threads by people getting excited by bands are always a good idea. :up:

I know like one Gang of Youths song, and... yeah, I gotta admit, they did catch my attention. This was a couple of years ago now, to be clear.

Wow, that's big for you to say..!

I was supposed to interview the band but it never really eventuated properly because the singer had been drinking like a fish and was super rowdy.

Please explain?!?!?!?!?!

Sorry, Cobbs, I gave them a shot but they didn't do it for me. I couldn't get through the new album and "Magnolia" doesn't excite me either. Too National-y, and he sings in a vocal style I find pretty bland.

But new threads by people getting excited by bands are always a good idea. :up:

Fair call, I knew going into this thread that you wouldn't like them much, haha. You will probably grow to hate them, as the album hit #1, so they're gonna be biiiiig.

Still on a high from the show.

Why is there an Australian Music Appreciation thread and then like several other dedicated threads for local musicians?

All of Australia's "Artists" HERE

Why is there an Australian Music Appreciation thread and then like several other dedicated threads for local musicians?

All of Australia's "Artists" HERE

Don't tempt me. Timothius and I once took over the entire first page of PEUP with threads about Kiwi sport.

I would urge more people to ignore my idiocy as a person and give these blokes a shot. Imperor will kill me for saying this, but he had a listen and dug them. Go Farther in Lightness, the new one, is duking it out with American Dream for my AOTY so far this year. Ridiculous amount of great tracks: Fear and Trembling, What Can I Do if the Fire Goes Out? Atlas Drowned, Keep Me in the Open, Do Not Let Your Spirit Wane, Go Farther in Lightness, Persevere, Le Symbolique, Let Me Down Easy, Heart is a Muscle, Deepest Sighs/Frankest Shadows, Say Yes to Life, which is 12/16. And none of them are as good as Magnolia, from the first album.

Get in, or get left behind :love::love::love:

Finally looked into these guys. Bummed they played down the street from my house back in June and they weren't on my radar.

Anyway, I may have been seduced by the fact that this article mentions my neighborhood and some of its notable landmarks. Or that the writer drew comparisons to The Boss, U2, and The Replacements. But I really like what this frontman has to say for himself. I'm 5 tracks into the album and they're pretty damned great.

Also, I love long albums.

Gang of Youths Find Healing in Epic New Album

Definitely a fascinating guy. Need to give the album another spin after a month or so without it.

If Apple Music could stop deleting my offline downloads [emoji35]

Back
Top Bottom