Mock me forever and a day, but do me this favour. Listen to Gang of Youths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Need to bring immediate attention for the new fans:

You need to listen to their debut, 2015's The Positions, which is a very strong debut and has what is in my mind their best (Magnolia).

Then you need to listen to their 2016 EP Let Me Be Clear, which is also great.

And then you all need to listen to their covers of All My Friends and "Heroes", both of which are fucking tremendously good.

I like this as well. Need to listen on better speakers than what’s in my work car.

Big, big ups to my boys. Ticketmaster are fucking cunts. Their first two Melb shows sold out in seconds, and they're up to five shows in both Melb and Syd. Anyway, me and Em were online at 9, and there were no tickets available, but there were resale tickets going for $230 EACH. And some poor souls probably bought those tickets thinking they'd miss out... not the band's fault, and they added more shows to meet the demand. They're fucking lovely. But Ticketmaster are fucking cunts.

...because what the world needs is more covers of "Heroes".

Shut the fuck up.

Got to wonder why on earth they're playing the Forum Theatre in the first place. Anybody could see this would happen. They should be playing Margaret Court or, if it will still be open, Festy.

Likewise, who was the idiot who didn't book them for the Hordern in Sydney.

Yeah as I said previously they got a crazy reception when supporting Paul Kelly half a year ago, in a place where support acts are otherwise lucky to get much more than a polite round of applause.

Got to wonder why on earth they're playing the Forum Theatre in the first place. Anybody could see this would happen. They should be playing Margaret Court or, if it will still be open, Festy.

Likewise, who was the idiot who didn't book them for the Hordern in Sydney.

Unlike a certain big band who shall remain nameless, it's fan service. They're really good, empathetic dudes, and it's been billed as a goodbye and thank you for the current album. They could very easily have sold out a couple of Music Bowl shows (daresay they'd've managed to sell out a couple of Rod Laver shows) but they're rare in that they're still thinking of their fans (as evidenced by their posts earlier today during the ticketing fiasco).

They played Festy on their last run through, which I'm pretty sure they said was their biggest gig up until that point.

Hey cobbler, you sick fuck, I thought I'd let you know that there's a really good chance I'll be seeing these guys twice in the span of 24 hours in August. They better not suck.

I'd be seeing them at a Lollapalooza after show at a small venue in Chicago and then at the festival itself the day after.

I do catch a bit of a Springsteen vibe here. And the vocals also remind me a lot of the Gaslight Anthem.

The album (Go Farther In Lightness) is way better than I thought it would be. It grew on me throughout the first listen, and my enjoyment peaked with "Say Yes To Life." That's a powerful closer. Looking forward to another listen or two next week before seeing them live.

It was my album of 2018. It's fucking stellar. A bit overlong, but a tremendous record.

You also need to seek out two songs: 1) their cover of "All My Friends" and 2) "Magnolia". I've posted both in this thread.

They covered I'm on Fire at a gig recently but there's no clips of it yet :sad:

Tremendous new song from Gang of Youths. I adore them. Losing their guitarist hasn't seemed to dull their shine at all, and the Pasifika influences are giving their style new heft.

Other recent new tracks as we wait for an album:
Classic GOY and instant classic:

Heavily influenced by Pasifika music:

And an excellent Elbow cover:

Back
Top Bottom