Mixtapes: Personal Statements or Enemies of Art?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LMP

Blue Crack Supplier
Interference,

I made a few mixes that I'd very much like to share with any interested parties. On top of that, I thought that this could be a fun outlet for anyone else to provide their own. Per forum rules, links can be sent via PM or email. Lemme know if you wanna a bite and I'll shoot over the links via PM.

Feel free to make covers, post tracklists, describe your creative approach, engage in discussion and listening diaries. This isn't affiliated with any prior music-based competitions from this part of the forum. Have at it, gang.

Format tracklists however you want, as long as it's intelligible.

B5cJxPd.jpg

"Before I give ya a lesson in pleasure, I'm gonna give ya a lesson in PAIN."

1. "The Two Mrs. Carrolls" by Franz Waxman (from The Two Mrs. Carrolls)
2. "Can't Truss It" by Public Enemy
3. "Jamba (ft. Hodgy Beats)" by Tyler the Creator
4. "25 Bucks (ft. Purity Ring)" by Danny Brown
5. "It Was a Good Day" by Ice Cube
6. "Superfast Jellyfish (ft. Gruff Rhys & De La Soul)" by Gorillaz
7. "Stroker Ace" by Lovage
8. "Can You Get to That" by Funkadelic
9. "Stridulum Theme" by Franco Micalizzi (from The Visitor)
10. "Optimo" by Liquid
11. "Girlfriend Is Better" by Talking Heads (from Stop Making Sense)
12. "The Magnificent Seven" by The Clash
13. "Speed of Life" by David Bowie
14. "It's Never Over (Oh Orpheus)" by Arcade Fire
15. "Downtown" by Destroyer
16. "Ultra Violet (Light My Way)" by U2
17. "Street Hassle" by Lou Reed

Total Time: 1:18:56

C6ELk3X.jpg

“God, this is my man, and you’d better take care of him, or I’m gonna wax your ass.”

I'd listen to this mix either driving up north to visit my lady friend up in, you guessed it, Cedar Park, or when driving back home. And Get Crazy, the movie from which this still & quote was derived, is fucking awesome and should be watched immediately. Lou Reed plays a reclusive Dylan-esque rocker invited to play at a New Year's bash, spending most of the duration of the film en route to said event. Hilarity ensues.

1. "U-Mass" by Pixies
2. "Good Times Bad Times" by Led Zeppelin
3. "Baby Blue" by Badfinger
4. "Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings" by Father John Misty
5. "Can't You Hear Me Knockin'" by The Rolling Stones
6. "(Don't Fight It) Feel It" by Sam Cooke
7. "Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)" by Marvin Gaye
8. "Sail on, Sailor" by The Beach Boys
9. "Anywhere I Lay My Head" by Tom Waits
10. "Paper Trails" by Darkside
11. "Take Time" by The Books
12. "10538 Overture" by E.L.O.
13. "Thirty-Three" by Smashing Pumpkins
14. "Sometimes" by My Bloody Valentine
15. "For Flotsam" by Los Campesinos!
16. "Running If You Call My Name" by HAIM
17. "I'd Have You Anytime" by George Harrison (Thanks, LM)
18. "Calgary" by Bon Iver
19. "The Gunner's Dream" by Pink Floyd
20. "Vorspiel" by Richard Wagner

Total Time: 1:18:55

8ObPdyz.jpg

“So I jump ship in Hong Kong and I make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a pro jock.”

Named due to the way in which the list starts off on a decidedly '80s or faux '80s bend before collapsing back onto itself. As the Lama said, "Gunga-galunga, gunga... gunga-galunga."

1. "I Wanna Be Your Lover" by La Bionda
2. "Beliver" by John Maus
3. "Midnight Song" by Wild Nothing
4. "Beverly Kills" by Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti
5. "A Forest" by The Cure
6. "Thieves Like Us" by New Order
7. "Both Sides Now" by Judy Collins
8. "In the Ghetto" by Elvis Presley
9. "Ike's Mood" by Isaac Hayes
10. "Love Is" by Rotary Connection
11. "Every1's a Winner" by Hot Chocolate
12. "Animal Farm" by The Kinks
13. "Oh Yoko!" by John Lennon
14. "Billy 7" by Bob Dylan (From Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid)
15. "So Long, Marianne" by Leonard Cohen
16. "It's Not for Me to Say" by Johnny Mathis
17. "Splendor" by M83
18. "Contact" by Daft Punk

Total Time: 1:18:56

2orIshr.jpg

“Rule #1: Never do anything yourself when someone else can do it for you.”
“And Rule #2?”
“Rule #2: In Japan, men come first, women come second.”
“I just might retire to here.”

Connery going Asian cracks me up. That's about it.

1. "USA I: Is a Monster" by Dan Deacon
2. "15 Step" by Radiohead
3. "Hustle Bones" by Death Grips
4. "Promises" by Autre Ne Veut
5. "Constant Conversations" by Passion Pit
6. "DLZ" by TV on the Radio
7. "Bring da Ruckus" by Wu-Tang Clan
8. "Me, Myself, and I" by De La Soul
9. "A Million Stories" by A Tribe Called Quest
10. "He's Sure the Boy I Love" by The Crystals
11. "Duke of Earl" by Gene Chandler
12. "Cry Me a River" by Julie London
13. "You Only Live Twice" by Nancy Sinatra (From the Bond film of the same name)
14. "The Seeker" by Dolly Parton
15. "Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters" by Elton John
16. "Help Me" by Joni Mitchell
17. "Latin Romance" by Joe Strummer (from Walker)
18. "Running Scared" by Roy Orbison
19. "The Killing Moon" by Echo & The Bunnymen
20. "To the Workers of the Rockford River Valley Region" by Sufjan Stevens
21. "Powerful Love" by Chuck and Mac
22. "You Ain't Alone" by Alabama Shakes
23. "Your Hand in Mine (Goodbye)" by Explosions in the Sky (from Friday Night Lights)

Total Time: 1:19:37

They look pretty cool...may I hit you up for a pm?

Its an excellent idea to.

My mix exists because I heard Madonna use some alt rock sounding guitars during some tours. So then I wanted to hear alt bands cover Madonna. I called it m-punk. or madonnagaze. This version of ray of light (madonna's live version not iggys but that's good too) sounds like a shoegaze band that sold out. The power of Madonna.

1.into the groove(y)-ciccone youth
2.american life- Madonna
3.Oh father-my vitriol
4.Angel-drop nineteens
5.like a prayer- wirebox
6.live to tell-megamanic
7.candy perfume girl-Madonna
8.burning up- iggy pop
9.ray of light - iggy pop
10.borderline-madonna
11.hung up - Madonna
12.ray of light-Madonna
13.dress you up-madonna

Mordred or Modred (/ˈmoʊdrɛd/; Welsh: Medraut, Medrod, etc.) is a character in the Arthurian legend, known as a notorious traitor who fought King Arthur at the Battle of Camlann, where he was killed and Arthur fatally wounded. Tradition varies on his relationship to Arthur, but he is best known today as Arthur's illegitimate son by his half-sister Morgause. In earlier literature, he was considered the legitimate son of Morgause, also known as Anna, with her husband King Lot of Orkney. His brothers or half-brothers are Gawain, Agravain, Gaheris, and Gareth. The name (from either Old Welsh Medraut, Cornish Modred, or Old Breton Modrot) is ultimately derived from Latin Moderātus.[1]
Contents [hide]
1 Mordred in Arthurian legend
2 Mordred in later works
3 See also
4 Notes
5 References
6 External links
Mordred in Arthurian legend[edit]

Mordred appears very early in Arthurian literature. The first mention of him, as Medraut, occurs in the Annales Cambriae entry for the year 537:[2]
Gueith Camlann in qua Arthur et Medraut corruerunt.
"The strife of Camlann, in which Arthur and Medraut fell."
The Annales themselves were completed between 960 and 970, though their authors drew on older material.[3] Mordred was associated with Camlann even at that early date, but as Leslie Alcock points out, this brief entry gives no information as to whether he killed or was killed by Arthur, or even if he was fighting against him; the reader assumes this in the light of later tradition.[4]
The earliest full account of Mordred is found in Geoffrey of Monmouth's Historia Regum Britanniae, where he, for the first time in literature, plays the role of traitor to Arthur. Geoffrey introduced the figure of Mordred (whom he calls Modredus) to the world beyond Wales, detailing that Arthur left Mordred in charge of his throne as he crossed the English Channel to wage war on Emperor Lucius of Rome. During Arthur's absence Mordred crowns himself king and marries Guinevere, forcing Arthur to return to Britain. The Battle of Camlann is fought, and Mordred dies while Arthur is taken to Avalon. Arthur's successor, Constantine III of Britain, has to deal with the remainder of Mordred's army, led by his two sons.
A number of Welsh sources also refer to Medraut, usually in relation to Camlann. One triad, based on Geoffrey's Historia, provides an account of his betrayal of Arthur;[5] in another, he is described as the author of one of the "Three Unrestrained Ravagings of the Isle of Britain" – he came to Arthur's court at Kelliwic in Cornwall, devoured all of the food and drink, and even dragged Gwenhwyfar (Guinevere) from her throne and beat her.[6] Medraut is never considered Arthur's son in Welsh texts, only his nephew, though The Dream of Rhonabwy mentions that the king had been his foster father. However, Mordred's later characterization as the king's villainous son has a precedent in the figure of Amr, a son of Arthur's known from only two references. The more important of these, found in an appendix to the Historia Britonum, describes his marvelous grave beside the Herefordshire spring where he had been slain by his own father in some unchronicled tragedy.[7][8] What connection exists between the stories of Amr and Mordred, if there is one, has never been satisfactorily explained.
In Geoffrey and certain other sources such as the Alliterative Morte Arthure, Mordred marries Guinevere, seemingly consensually, after he steals the throne. However, in later writings like the Lancelot-Grail Cycle and Thomas Malory's Le Morte d'Arthur, Guinevere is not treated as a traitor and she flees Mordred's proposal and hides in the Tower of London. Adultery is still tied to her role in these later romances, however, but Mordred has been replaced with Lancelot.
Geoffrey and the Lancelot-Grail Cycle have Mordred being succeeded by his two sons. In Geoffrey, Arthur's successor Constantine tracks them down and kills them in their sanctuaries; in the Lancelot-Grail, the elder son, Melehan, is killed by Bors, while Lancelot slays his brother.
Mordred in later works[edit]

Virtually everywhere Mordred appears, his name is synonymous with treachery. He appears in Dante's Inferno in the lowest circle of Hell, set apart for traitors: "him who, at one blow, had chest and shadow / shattered by Arthur's hand;"[9] (Canto XXXII).
A few works of the Middle Ages and today, however, portray Mordred as less a traitor and more a conflicted opportunist, or even a victim of fate. The 14th century Scottish chronicler John of Fordun even claimed that Mordred was the rightful heir to the throne of Britain, as Arthur was an illegitimate child (in his account, Mordred was the legitimate son of Lot and Anna.) This sentiment was elaborated upon by Walter Bower and by Hector Boece, who in his Historia Gentis Scotorum goes so far as to say Arthur and Gawain were traitors and villains who stole the throne from Mordred. Even Malory, who depicts Mordred as a villain, notes that the people of England rallied to him because, "with Arthur was none other life but war and strife, and with Sir Mordred was great joy and bliss".
Mordred is especially prominent in popular Arthurian texts of the modern era, especially in fiction, film, and television, and the comics medium.[10]

Once in your life you find her
Someone that turns your heart around
And next thing you know you're closing down the town
Wake up and it's still with you
Even though you left her way across town
Wondering to yourself, "Hey, what've I found?"

When you get caught between the Moon and New York City
I know it's crazy, but it's true
If you get caught between the Moon and New York City
The best that you can do
The best that you can do
Is fall in love

Arthur he does as he pleases
All of his life, he's mastered choice
Deep in his heart, he's just, he's just a boy
Living his life one day at a time
And showing himself a really good time
Laughing about the way they want him to be

The best that you can do
The best that you can do
Is fall in love

The best that you can do
The best that you can do
Is fall in love

So I'm making a mixtape for a ladyfriend, and I thought I would ask here, LMP, you are the master of mixtapes, any advice? Anyone else?

Put songs on there that you've discussed along with tracks you really dig. Don't lay it on thick with Songs You Want to Define Your Relationship, you know?

And of course, you start off with "Iris" by The Goo Goo Dolls.

Is she aware that there is a mixtape coming her way?

Content might depend on the circumstances as to why she is receiving a mixtape from you.

Yeah she knows it's coming. We were chatting about it last night.

Put songs on there that you've discussed along with tracks you really dig. Don't lay it on thick with Songs You Want to Define Your Relationship, you know?

And of course, you start off with "Iris" by The Goo Goo Dolls.

:up: thanks man! Good advice. I probably will trying something different from my original plan, which was to just send a CD with Chad Valley's "Fall 4 U" on it 16 times.

Of course. It's the emo standard-bearer.

The man I've been seeing for a few months now made a mix for me after our first date. It's a winning move, cobbler. Winning.move.

Just as LMP suggested, he included some things we'd talked about that I was less familiar with, as well as some familiar and loved things (which we hadn't talked about and he had no idea that I already loved them). It's eclectic, opens with a brief spoken word piece that knocked my socks off, and by the time DeVotchka's How it Ends came on...well...
winning.move.

Back
Top Bottom