Mixtapes: Personal Statements or Enemies of Art?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a really great 80s playlist that spans new wave, electronic, jangle pop (with special emphasis on Dunedin Sound), etc. but I don't want to post it in here because I expect we'll do DI again.

whilst I never listen to it and likely never will again I still think most of the songs from Songs About Jane are great. they turned into a massive pile of shit but that's a great album.

In anticipation for the new Belle & Sebastian, I've been going back to this somewhat old playlist of mine. It's album-tracks only, and sort of a best-of arranged to flow:

1. Belle & Sebastian - "The State I Am In" - Tigermilk
2. Belle & Sebastian - "The Boy With The Arab Strap" - The Boy With The Arab Strap
3. Belle & Sebastian - "Like Dylan In The Movies" - If You're Feeling Sinister
4. Belle & Sebastian - "It Could Have Been A Brilliant Career" - The Boy With The Arab Strap
5. Belle & Sebastian - "Act Of The Apostle" - The Life Pursuit
6. Belle & Sebastian - "The Stars of Track And Field" - If You're Feeling Sinister
7. Belle & Sebastian - "Piazza, New York Catcher" - Dear Catastrophe Waitress
8. Belle & Sebastian - "Dear Catastrophe Waitress" - Dear Catastrophe Waitress
9. Belle & Sebastian - "She's Losing It" - Tigermilk
10. Belle & Sebastian - "The Model" - Fold Your Hands Child, You Walk Like A Peasant"
11. Belle & Sebastian - "The Fox In The Snow" - If You're Feeling Sinister
12. Belle & Sebastian - "Seymour Stein" - The Boy With The Arab Strap
13. Belle & Sebastian - "I Didn't See It Coming" - Write About Love
14. Belle & Sebastian - "We Are The Sleepyheads" - The Life Pursuit
15. Belle & Sebastian - "Get Me Away From Here, I'm Dying" - If You're Feeling Sinister
16. Belle & Sebastian - "Sleep The Clock Around" - The Boy With The Arab Strap
17. Belle & Sebastian - "Judy And The Dream of Horses" - If You're Feeling Sinister
18. Belle & Sebastian - "Dirty Dream Number Two" - The Boy With The Arab Strap

Thank you. I'll be using this to get more into the band. I've heard albums, nothing stuck. Saw them live, fell momentarily in love. Not feeling going through the whole discography, though.

Incidentally (and so you can tell how far in I am), I have never been able to get over how much "Stars of Track and Field" sounds like "Kiss the Girl" from The Little Mermaid...:uhoh:

It's actually a decent idea to go through the discography chronologically because the first two albums are the best ones. :shh: Push Barman to Open Old Wounds is also a fantastic if exhaustive collection and essential if you like the early stuff.

I could never imagine a Belle and Sebastian best of without Seeing Other People or If You're Feeling Sinister. That's messed up.

Last edited:
Thank you. I'll be using this to get more into the band. I've heard albums, nothing stuck. Saw them live, fell momentarily in love. Not feeling going through the whole discography, though.

My pleasure, let me know what you think. Their live show is great, looking forward to their tour next year.

It's actually a decent idea to go through the discography chronologically because the first two albums are the best ones :shh:

Push Barman to Open Old Wounds is also a fantastic if exhaustive collection and essential if you like the early stuff.

I prefer Arab Strap to the first two, but it's close. Push Barman is great indeed.

Very nice playlist, Gump. I really liked everything I heard, except for the two or three peppier tracks near the end. They didn't feel as sincere. I really liked the song, also near the end, that had a woman singing on it. I've got to do better about looking at track titles while listening to new-to-me stuff.

LM, agreed on If You're Feeling Sinister. Not sure why I didn't add it at the time. Seeing Other People is great and all, but there's so much good stuff in that album...

I really liked the song, also near the end, that had a woman singing on it. I've got to do better about looking at track titles while listening to new-to-me stuff.

That must have been I Didn't See It Coming? I quite like it, even though I find the album itself a bit underwhelming.

I've got a pipin' hot October playlist made up if anyone would like a listen.

1. Archie Bell & The Drells - "Here I Go Again"
2. "Good Times Roll, Pt. 2" - RJD2
3. "Pet Semetary" - DJ Quik
4. "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" - Geto Boys
5. "Hey Mama You've Been on My Mind" - The Caravelles
6. "Don't Save Me" - HAIM
7. "96 Tears" - ? & the Mysterians
8. "Tweakin' (ft. Chance the Rapper)" - Vic Mensa
9. "Anthonio (Berlin Breakdown Version)" - Annie
10. "Da Art of Storytellin', Pt. 1" - OutKast
11. "The Gold Standard" - Prince
12. "(What A) Wonderful World" - Sam Cooke
13. "Cello Song" - Nick Drake
14. "The First Big Weekend" - Arab Strap
15. "In the Ghetto" - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
16. "Let Go" - Ryan Adams
17. "Wicked Game" - Chris Isaak
18. "So Cruel" - U2
19. "Coming Home" - Leon Bridges
20. "Stay with Me" - Lorraine Ellison

presenting the latest in a series, 'Cobbler Makes A Mixtape For A Girl He Would Like To Kiss'

this one is for a girl with pretty shit taste in music. too much top 40 + old 90s megahits. she does like Arcade Fire though.

1. Big Boi - "Shutterbugg"
2. Architecture in Helsinki - "Heart it Races"
3. LCD Soundsystem - "Drunk Girls"
4. The Beatles - "Everybody's Got Something to Hide Except For Me and My Monkey" (beav would be smiling down on me, wherever he is)
5. Modest Mouse - "Float On"
6. Hot Chip - "Over and Over"
7. The Avalanches - "Frontier Psychiatrist"
8. Kendrick Lamar - "i"
9. Flying Lotus - "Do the Astral Plane"
10. Passion Pit - "Sleepyhead"
11. Animal Collective - "My Girls"
12. Daft Pank - "Doin it Right"
13. Flaming Lips - "Race for the Prize"
14. M83 - "Midnight City"
15. Los Campesinos! - "We Are Beautiful We Are Doomed"
16. Interpol - "NYC"
17. Bon Iver - "Blood Bank"
bonus track - Craig David - "7 Days"

was gonna post my latest mixtape, part of a new series entitled 'Cobbler Makes a Mixtape for a Girl He is Already Kissing', but it's so fucking similar to the one above I'm quite embarrassed :lol:

Back
Top Bottom