"Missed it by that much" - Albums that should have ended sooner. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2015, 10:07 PM   #1
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:05 PM
"Missed it by that much" - Albums that should have ended sooner.

So, this might be a bit of a dead end of a thread, but I was listening to Exile on Main St. on my way home from work and I couldn't help but feel like that album completely fucks up by not ending with "Shine A Light". It's like, this is perfect, just...just stop. But no, they come back in for one more go. And "Soul Survivor" is a great song and it's perfect for this album and it could fit literally anywhere because this is one of the most cohesive albums of all time. I just don't get why it's the closer.

Another more popular/obvious example of this is "Her Majesty" closing Abbey Road when "The End" is so perfect.

What other albums out there have left you hanging with a great closer, only to go on one track too long?

Old 06-16-2015, 10:11 PM   #2
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I just don't get why it's the closer.
Because Shine a Light is a bit of an island, you know? The gospel-inspired I Just Wanna See His Face is there, but ending a sleazy, grimy, ugly record largely concerning drug abuse and dissatisfaction with an uplifting gospel number would have been a cheat. A deus ex machina for people wanting a happy ending. Soul Survivor is a perfect closer.

A big one for me though: the spiritual, thoughtful October winding down with Scarlet...only to attempt to pick up steam for 2 minutes with Is That All. It's a terrible idea and fails miserably.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:13 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
So, this might be a bit of a dead end of a thread, but I was listening to Exile on Main St. on my way home from work and I couldn't help but feel like that album completely fucks up by not ending with "Shine A Light". It's like, this is perfect, just...just stop. But no, they come back in for one more go. And "Soul Survivor" is a great song and it's perfect for this album and it could fit literally anywhere because this is one of the most cohesive albums of all time. I just don't get why it's the closer.

Another more popular/obvious example of this is "Her Majesty" closing Abbey Road when "The End" is so perfect.

What other albums out there have left you hanging with a great closer, only to go on one track too long?
In the context of the Beatles' history though, the fact that Her Majesty is tacked on to the end of Abbey Road is cheekily fitting, in a similar vein to putting a dog whistle and random chatter at the end of Sgt Pepper's rather than ending with that chord.

Yellow Submarine should have been an EP with the title track, the incredible George songs, and Hey Bulldog. No All Together Now (what a waste of two and a half minutes that is), no random tacking on of All You Need is Love, and none of the soundtrack songs - although they are lovely, none of them is particularly memorable.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:16 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
A big one for me though: the spiritual, thoughtful October winding down with Scarlet...only to attempt to pick up steam for 2 minutes with Is That All. It's a terrible idea and fails miserably.
This was the first one I thought of actually, and was going to mention it until I remembered the last 10 seconds of Is That All where it sounds faintly like they hit the last note and immediately put their instruments down and walk out. It works, if you're listening for it.

But the transition from the ethereal, dream-like Scarlet to the (awesome) intro of Is That All should have been done a little better. It's a bit jarring.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:17 PM   #5
The Male

It's All Too Much

Now.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:18 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
It's All Too Much
ZooTV-era U2 would have done an incredible live cover of that song.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:42 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Local Time: 06:05 AM
A lot of albums during the 90s. Siamese Dream is a big offender here.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:49 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

Nope. I think Siamese Dream is pretty much fantastic from start to finish, and the big beating heart of Luna never fails to give me the feels. If anything is extraneous, it's the penultimate track Sweet Sweet.

And really ironic to mention that album when you're talking about the band that followed it with a double triple album with two 14-song discs, containing a great deal of filler.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:03 PM   #9
The Male

Siamese Dream fizzles out a bit, but in a pleasant way. I really enjoy Sweet Sweet and Luna.

Now.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:04 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Location: deep in absolutely bullshit historical theory/trauma theory
Sure, but I think all double albums have some filler (with the possible exceptions of Zen Arcade and Double Nickels on the Dime, but even then...)
Old 06-16-2015, 11:46 PM   #11
45:33

Local Time: 07:05 AM
Cool thread, 212121212121

I love Soul Survivor as a closer. I think LM sums it up pretty well. Shine a Light is great but I might like Soul Survivor even better. It's just a fucking fun rock song.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
This was the first one I thought of actually, and was going to mention it until I remembered the last 10 seconds of Is That All where it sounds faintly like they hit the last note and immediately put their instruments down and walk out. It works, if you're listening for it.

But the transition from the ethereal, dream-like Scarlet to the (awesome) intro of Is That All should have been done a little better. It's a bit jarring.
No one has ever listened to me talking about Is That All? but I'll say it for the millionth time: it's an extremely rare example of a frustrated band recording something ramshackle and it remaining on the album. We've got a living document of how frustrating that period was. I love it.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:49 PM   #12
45:33

The first example that comes to mind for me is VU&N. Love much of the first nine tracks. Then you get ten minutes of dissonant noise. Literally - John Cale hits a stack of plates with a chair. Unpopular opinion I'm sure but it's an awful way to end a great album.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:01 AM   #13
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
No one has ever listened to me talking about Is That All? but I'll say it for the millionth time: it's an extremely rare example of a frustrated band recording something ramshackle and it remaining on the album. We've got a living document of how frustrating that period was. I love it.
It just should've been a b-side. Scarlet would be a good closer and wraps up the album well in a thematic sense.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

I guess that's kinda my thought about "Shine A Light" as well. I mean, yeah the album is such a rush of a ride, and maybe it's a copout of an ending, I can see that point of view, but it definitely brings everything down and it seems to wrap it up to me. Like, we're done here. To go into one more song seems like an inability to let the album go almost. But, I can see where that's a good thing, and it also doesn't let you fall into a false sense of security that it's all OK.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:25 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It used to be hidden tracks were all the rage; album ends, but then turns out they're not quite done after all. I could live without most of those hidden tracks (especially the ones that come off sounding like the start of another album. PJ Harvey's Stories From The City Etc. is a good example).

Tags
random music thread