"Missed it by that much" - Albums that should have ended sooner. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2015, 09:13 AM   #31
The Male

Local Time: 06:59 PM
Thom's vocals reached peak cracked whininess during the Amnesiac and HTTT eras. He got some of his richness and depth back for In Rainbows but these days I think he'd prefer to just have the robot from Fitter Happier take over for him than to actually have something human-sounding on one of his records.

And how the fuck can you listen to GKMC truncated? It's perfectly sequenced and Compton is a classic victory lap. Picture the credits rolling right there. Plus, the circular ending. "Be back...15 minutes!"

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:18 AM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:59 PM
Both sing loud song proud and blackout could have ended a song early. Although I'm sure all current dropkick murphys fans would still be soundtrackless while they pretend to be Irish if kiss me I'm shitfaced and the spicy mchaggis jig didn't exist. Fuck those songs.

Most albums that I'd consider go on for too long, the closer isn't the culprit. It's those 2nd and 3rd to last songs where things slow. London Calling could probably be the best known, most "classic" example of an album I love but could do without that lovers rock through revolution rock. But that technically was side 4 of a double album. Or then you have the last couple of Ducky boys albums that just had too many fucking songs on them.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:22 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
Vocals too whiny? On a Radiohead track? That's like complaining that the sky is blue or the water is wet.

The Tourist is fantastic. Some of Jonny's best work is on that song.
It's whiny even for his standards. I love his voice of course as I'm a big fan. Maybe I should have said that the vocals are too stretched out and slow. It just takes him an age to finish each word and it annoys me. They aaaaaaaaaaask meeeeeeee wheeeeeee-eeeeere the hell... I'm gooooooiiiiiiiiiiing. It takes Thom an age to finish that one small sentence. And ironically enough he's singing about people going too fast.

The music in the second half of the song is indeed fantastic.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #34
45:33

Local Time: 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Thom's vocals reached peak cracked whininess during the Amnesiac and HTTT eras. He got some of his richness and depth back for In Rainbows but these days I think he'd prefer to just have the robot from Fitter Happier take over for him than to actually have something human-sounding on one of his records.

And how the fuck can you listen to GKMC truncated? It's perfectly sequenced and Compton is a classic victory lap. Picture the credits rolling right there. Plus, the circular ending. "Be back...15 minutes!"
I nearly had a panic attack yesterday when I started thinking about whether we'll ever get a new Radiohead album and another world tour. Luckily I was listening to OK Computer, which is about the perfect album for a panic attack.

Compton is awesome. But I'm pretty spent by the time I get to Dying of Thirst and I honestly don't think the album needs it. Many times too I've probably listened to those bonus tracks straight after the album I've just always mentally separated them from the album in my mind.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:24 AM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

Amnesiac and HTTT--oh you mean the part of radiohead's career where Yorke turned into a Yorkie that someone stepped on.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:25 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsgov View Post
It's whiny even for his standards. I love his voice of course as I'm a big fan. Maybe I should have said that the vocals are too stretched out and slow. It just takes him an age to finish each word and it annoys me. They aaaaaaaaaaask meeeeeeee wheeeeeee-eeeeere the hell... I'm gooooooiiiiiiiiiiing. It takes Thom an age to finish that one small sentence. And ironically enough he's singing about people going too fast.
Can't really argue with this though. It's quite laboured. But yeah, it's still a great song.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamcool View Post
Sure, but I think all double albums have some filler
Even Songs of Innocence?

Old 06-17-2015, 09:26 AM   #38

I was actually going to make a post earlier today about how I bet this thread would turn into a discussion about HTTT. Didn't take long
Old 06-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
Even Songs of Innocence?

That album has literally the opposite problem. Maybe we need a "Albums that should have just been the last three songs" thread.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:28 AM   #40
The Male

Ending The Tourist with what sounds like a hotel lobby bell was such a cool idea. Gives me chills every time.

Now.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:28 AM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
That album has literally the opposite problem. Maybe we need a "Albums that should have just been the last three songs" thread.
You missed the joke though.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:29 AM   #42
Blue Crack Supplier

"Missed it by that much" - Albums that should have ended sooner.

I forget, I think it was Dead Yuppies. But that Agnostic Front album that ended with the song about Paulie the beer drinking dog was a bit rough...

Nevermind. That was Something's Gotta Give, which has some of their best songs on it. I've been listening the fuck out of their newest album, but it's been ages since I've listened to much past "voices" off that one (that's about how long my drive to/from work is).
Old 06-17-2015, 09:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewson View Post
You missed the joke though.
I got it. Did one of those laughs where you exhale quickly through your nose.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:31 AM   #44
The Male

I'm waiting for thavidesco to come in here and say Find the River. Too adult contemporary.

Now.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:33 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
The King of Limbs?

Well, not really, but pretty close I say, pretty close. More like first song and the last three songs plus a couple of non-album tracks.

And before anybody says the opposite - fuck Lotus Flower.

Tags
random music thread