"Missed it by that much" - Albums that should have ended sooner. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2015, 01:34 AM   #16
45:33

Local Time: 02:38 AM
On 5ive's Invincible, there were about 55 10-second tracks of silence before the hidden track, Inspector Gadget.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:22 AM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran McConville View Post
It used to be hidden tracks were all the rage; album ends, but then turns out they're not quite done after all. I could live without most of those hidden tracks (especially the ones that come off sounding like the start of another album. PJ Harvey's Stories From The City Etc. is a good example).
Only the UK and Japan had that bonus track.

My version of Stories ends with We Float, as it should.

Having said that, This Wicked Tongue is a great track, a shame she couldn't have squeezed it somewhere else on the album.

She actually opened with that song when I saw her before U2 back in 2002.

Old 06-17-2015, 03:26 AM   #18

This doesn't really count since it's still like an 8/10 track but I've always felt The Tourist is a slight bummer given some of the incredible songs that come before it.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:38 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
Only the UK and Japan had that bonus track.

My version of Stories ends with We Float, as it should.

Having said that, This Wicked Tongue is a great track, a shame she couldn't have squeezed it somewhere else on the album.

She actually opened with that song when I saw her before U2 back in 2002.
Well and Australia too, presumably (though, who knows, maybe what I got back in the day was a general 'all points East' edition). Yeah, it's a solid track that's just way out of place.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:40 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Though, there is a reverse of this scenario. I bought an (Australian) edition of Beck's 'Mutations' back in the day, and for years was under the understanding that the album closed with a very spooky, chilly song called "Runners Dial Zero". An American friend clued me in. Well it should have closed with that; that shouldn't be a mere bonus track!
Old 06-17-2015, 04:09 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:38 PM
For the very few FNM enthuasists here - Angel Dust is one of my favourite albums of all time, and I get what they were trying to do with Midnight Cowboy as the ending (something akin to music for ending film credits, since the whole album is so crazily cinematic), but Jizzlobber just seems like a perfect closer. But to make things really bad, fucking Easy became a hit and they slapped it at the end of every single reissue since 1993 as a bonus track. A song that tonally and sonically could not be more different. Oh well. They should know better with those tongue-in-cheek covers.

I agree with Siamese Dream. Great example.

This is also more of a bonus track thing, but Superunknown has She Likes Surprises as the closing track on every non-US edition, which is frustrating since Like Suicide is such a perfect closer and the other one is just an average b-side.

I always thought No Code would have been a perfect record if Present Tense was the closer. Around the Bend could have been saved as a Christmas single or something, and I couldn't care less for the other two.

Lifes Rich Pageant would have also been pretty much immaculate if not for that shitty cover at the end.

I wouldn't mind if Blues For the Red Sun did not include Mondo Generator. Yeah is a must though. Yeah is a classic song.

Again, more of a bonus track thing, but all CD editions of Evol have a crappy cover as the closer instead of the majestic Expressway to Yr Skull. Sister also has a throw-away bonus song from other sessions instead of White Kross. On the other hand, for both LP and CD, NYC Ghosts&Flowers finishes with... something, while the penultimate title track could have been a classic closer.

Cherry Tree EP should have finished with About Today. I believe this is a universal consensus.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:02 AM   #22
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Though, there is a reverse of this scenario. I bought an (Australian) edition of Beck's 'Mutations' back in the day, and for years was under the understanding that the album closed with a very spooky, chilly song called "Runners Dial Zero". An American friend clued me in. Well it should have closed with that; that shouldn't be a mere bonus track!
Let's not go past The Ground Beneath Her Feet closing the Aussie edition of ATYCLB.

It was the first album I ever bought that had an advertised bonus track, and the sticker just said there was one - not which song was the bonus. I figured it must be one of the intermediate tracks because TGBHF is such an excellent closer. Colour me surprised when I got online a couple of years later and found out TGBHF was the bonus track rather than shoddy songs like IALW, Wild Honey, or Peace on Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
I wouldn't mind if Blues For the Red Sun did not include Mondo Generator. Yeah is a must though. Yeah is a classic song.
Yeah.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Let's not go past The Ground Beneath Her Feet closing the Aussie edition of ATYCLB.

It was the first album I ever bought that had an advertised bonus track, and the sticker just said there was one - not which song was the bonus. I figured it must be one of the intermediate tracks because TGBHF is such an excellent closer. Colour me surprised when I got online a couple of years later and found out TGBHF was the bonus track rather than shoddy songs like IALW, Wild Honey, or Peace on Earth.
I already knew of The Ground Beneath Her Feet, quite well, courtesy of the previous year's Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack. In fact I think it got some radio play in its own right. So I was more like 'ok, you've just sat through a crap album; now here's The Ground Beneath Her Feet'. It's a great track, and it doesn't fit, sonically, thematically, in any way with what comes before.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:56 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by djerdap View Post
Lifes Rich Pageant would have also been pretty much immaculate if not for that shitty cover at the end.

Cherry Tree EP should have finished with About Today. I believe this is a universal consensus.
Yes and yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
This doesn't really count since it's still like an 8/10 track but I've always felt The Tourist is a slight bummer given some of the incredible songs that come before it.
And yes. The vocals are a bit too whiny.

Good Kid Maad City would have been even better without Real. It fits thematically yes but the ending of Dying of Thirst is a great way to end as well.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:09 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Vocals too whiny? On a Radiohead track? That's like complaining that the sky is blue or the water is wet.

The Tourist is fantastic. Some of Jonny's best work is on that song.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #26
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I already knew of The Ground Beneath Her Feet, quite well, courtesy of the previous year's Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack. In fact I think it got some radio play in its own right. So I was more like 'ok, you've just sat through a crap album; now here's The Ground Beneath Her Feet'. It's a great track, and it doesn't fit, sonically, thematically, in any way with what comes before.
I wasn't aware of the Million Dollar Hotel soundtrack until about 2002 or 2003, so TGBHF was entirely new to me. I think it actually makes some sonic sense after Grace... if you put aside the fact Grace is a really mediocre song.

It's not as if ATYCLB makes a heap of sense throughout anyway. Stuck into Elevation? Walk On, the obvious closer, fourth? Good work guys.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

It's true, it's a little all over the shop, but I suppose the album does have a certain cleanish, watery aesthetic in common.

On the subject of Thom Yorke I must object... 'whiny' might describe his imitators but not the quality his own voice has/had.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:36 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Hey, I love Thom, but the guy is the epitome of whiny vocals.

Whiny does not necessarily equal bad of course.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #29

Yeah I'm actually believe it or not siding with djerdap on this one. If you don't like his whiny vocals I'm not sure how you could be a fan Although I've always been more annoyed by his refusal to finish words on Lucky. "We are standing on the eeeeeeeeee" "I feel my luck could chaaaaaaaannnn"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielsgov View Post
Good Kid Maad City would have been even better without Real. It fits thematically yes but the ending of Dying of Thirst is a great way to end as well.
Oh FUCK man, how did I not think of this. Agree 100 per cent. In fact nearly every time I've listened to the album I think I've stopped after Dying of Thirst. It should have just been a bonus track alongside Compton, The Recipe, Black Boy Fly and Now or Never.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:58 AM   #30

As much as it makes Laz have a cry I have always considered TGBHF to be the closer on ATYCLB. Works really well.

And I really like Grace anyway

Tags
random music thread