"Missed it by that much" - Albums that should have ended sooner.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thom's vocals reached peak cracked whininess during the Amnesiac and HTTT eras. He got some of his richness and depth back for In Rainbows but these days I think he'd prefer to just have the robot from Fitter Happier take over for him than to actually have something human-sounding on one of his records.

And how the fuck can you listen to GKMC truncated? It's perfectly sequenced and Compton is a classic victory lap. Picture the credits rolling right there. Plus, the circular ending. "Be back...15 minutes!"

Both sing loud song proud and blackout could have ended a song early. Although I'm sure all current dropkick murphys fans would still be soundtrackless while they pretend to be Irish if kiss me I'm shitfaced and the spicy mchaggis jig didn't exist. Fuck those songs.

Most albums that I'd consider go on for too long, the closer isn't the culprit. It's those 2nd and 3rd to last songs where things slow. London Calling could probably be the best known, most "classic" example of an album I love but could do without that lovers rock through revolution rock. But that technically was side 4 of a double album. Or then you have the last couple of Ducky boys albums that just had too many fucking songs on them.

Vocals too whiny? On a Radiohead track? That's like complaining that the sky is blue or the water is wet.

The Tourist is fantastic. Some of Jonny's best work is on that song.
It's whiny even for his standards. I love his voice of course as I'm a big fan. Maybe I should have said that the vocals are too stretched out and slow. It just takes him an age to finish each word and it annoys me. They aaaaaaaaaaask meeeeeeee wheeeeeee-eeeeere the hell... I'm gooooooiiiiiiiiiiing. It takes Thom an age to finish that one small sentence. And ironically enough he's singing about people going too fast.

The music in the second half of the song is indeed fantastic.

Thom's vocals reached peak cracked whininess during the Amnesiac and HTTT eras. He got some of his richness and depth back for In Rainbows but these days I think he'd prefer to just have the robot from Fitter Happier take over for him than to actually have something human-sounding on one of his records.

And how the fuck can you listen to GKMC truncated? It's perfectly sequenced and Compton is a classic victory lap. Picture the credits rolling right there. Plus, the circular ending. "Be back...15 minutes!"

I nearly had a panic attack yesterday when I started thinking about whether we'll ever get a new Radiohead album and another world tour. Luckily I was listening to OK Computer, which is about the perfect album for a panic attack.

Compton is awesome. But I'm pretty spent by the time I get to Dying of Thirst and I honestly don't think the album needs it. Many times too I've probably listened to those bonus tracks straight after the album I've just always mentally separated them from the album in my mind.

Amnesiac and HTTT--oh you mean the part of radiohead's career where Yorke turned into a Yorkie that someone stepped on.

It's whiny even for his standards. I love his voice of course as I'm a big fan. Maybe I should have said that the vocals are too stretched out and slow. It just takes him an age to finish each word and it annoys me. They aaaaaaaaaaask meeeeeeee wheeeeeee-eeeeere the hell... I'm gooooooiiiiiiiiiiing. It takes Thom an age to finish that one small sentence. And ironically enough he's singing about people going too fast.

Can't really argue with this though. It's quite laboured. But yeah, it's still a great song.

Ending The Tourist with what sounds like a hotel lobby bell was such a cool idea. Gives me chills every time.

"Missed it by that much" - Albums that should have ended sooner.

I forget, I think it was Dead Yuppies. But that Agnostic Front album that ended with the song about Paulie the beer drinking dog was a bit rough...

Nevermind. That was Something's Gotta Give, which has some of their best songs on it. I've been listening the fuck out of their newest album, but it's been ages since I've listened to much past "voices" off that one (that's about how long my drive to/from work is).

That album has literally the opposite problem. Maybe we need a "Albums that should have just been the last three songs" thread.

The King of Limbs?

Well, not really, but pretty close I say, pretty close. More like first song and the last three songs plus a couple of non-album tracks.

And before anybody says the opposite - fuck Lotus Flower.

The King of Limbs?

Well, not really, but pretty close I say, pretty close. More like first song and the last three songs plus a couple of non-album tracks.

And before anybody says it - fuck Lotus Flower.

I think he was referring to SOI.

That was at best an EP of good material.

I know he was referring to SOI, it was a reply to his suggestion.

I'm agreeing with you way too much tonight.

My personal version of hell.

LM, I like Bloom, which is what I had implied in the post. Pay attention! :thavidescosmiley:

Speaking of which...

I'm waiting for thavidesco to come in here and say Find the River. Too adult contemporary.

Find the River? Never. Nightswimming though? :)

I like every song on King of Limbs but Codex, Give up the Ghost and Separator are easily the best three songs if you ask me. I never warmed to Lotus Flower as much as others did.

The Basement recording trumps the album x10000000000

I've never liked Lotus Flower.

But I feel sort of bad knocking that whole era, if it qualifies as an era, since the interesting King of Limbs tracks together with the interesting singles add up to something or other. Bloom is fucking amazing live. Judging by youtube. Whatever. I'm

lotus-flower-radiohead-o.gif

Lotus Flower was the one with the Thom Yorke dances weirdly video, right?

Back
Top Bottom