Mini Island Master List, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phanan

Blue Crack Addict
Here's the second round of Mini DI. We lost a couple of players along the way again, as expected, but still have some great stuff here. Links to follow via PM. Enjoy...

onebloodonelife

Slugs for Snitches

tumblr_lnsi50GTxD1qiznkbo1_500.jpg

Well, this is the hip-hop list that I've been talking about doing for some time now. It's also the darkest list I've made thus far, which is funny, considering how content I am with my life. Some of this is painfully personal ("By Torpedo or Crohn's," I'm looking at you), and some of it isn't. My goal was to put together songs from some of the most lyrical and technically stellar rappers from the '90s and 2000s. Now, fall into the rabbit hole and breathe in deeply.

1. Frank Ocean - "Strawberry Swing" - nostalgia/ultra (3:55)
2. Mos Def - "Mathematics" - Black on Both Sides (4:06)
3. Doomtree - "No Homeowners (Renter's Rebate)" - False Hopes (3:19)
4. Eyedea & Abilities - "Now" - E&A (4:25)
5. Atmosphere - "Scapegoat" - Overcast! (3:53)
6. Wugazi - "Another Chessboxin' Argument" - 13 Chambers (3:36)
7. Dessa - "551" - False Hopes EP (3:41)
8. Sadistik - "Memento Mori" - The Balancing Act (4:39)
9. P.O.S. - "Gimme Gimme Gunshots" - Ipecac Neat (4:05)
10. Eminem - "Murder, Murder" - The Slim Shady EP (4:41)
11. Freddie Gibbs - "Fuck Rap pt. 2" - A 2Dope EP (3:57)
12. Big L - "Let 'Em Have It L" - Lifestylez Ov Da Poor and Dangerous (3:58)
13. 2Pac - "Untouchable Freestyle" - 2Pac Evolution (5:55)
14. CunninLynguists - "Hard as They Come (Act I)" - Oneirology (4:18)
15. Kendrick Lamar - "HiiiPower" - Section.80 (4:40)
16. Why? - "By Torpedo or Crohn's" - Alopecia (4:04)

Total runtime: 67:03

IWasBored

yvg.png

Yoda vs. Godzilla (or, it sounded a lot better in my head)

most things i think of sound a lot better in my head. this playlist is probably one of them. there's no theme, just tunes i like. there's no correlation between the title, ms paint creation posing as artwork, and songs, other than they were all assembled together bizarrely by me. there's no dropkick murphys, either.

1. Glee Cast - "Defying Gravity" - Glee, Volume 1
2. Rush - "The Spirit of Radio" - Permanent Waves
3. Led Zeppelin - "Houses of the Holy" - Physical Graffiti
4. Buddy Holly - "That'll Be the Day" - Greatest Hits
5. Stray Cats - "Gene & Eddie" - Greatest Hits
6. Die Toten Hosen - "Bonnie & Clyde" - Opium fürs Volk
7. The Dead Pets - "Headbanging" - Revenge of the Village Idiots
8. The Explosion - "Here I Am" - Black Tape
9. Chip Hanna - "Feelin' Haggard and Cashed Out" - Haggard and Cashed Out
10. Lucero - "Ain't So Lonely" - Tennessee
11. Jonny Stevens - "You Can't Take Me" - Jonny Stevens
12. Motel Blonde - "Keeping Misery Company" - Sex and Subversion
13. Mark Lind & the Unloved - "Familiar Face" - The Truth Can Be Brutal
14. Husker Du - "Makes No Sense at All" - Flip Your Wig
15. Faith No More - "Digging the Grave" - King For A Day...Fool For A Lifetime
16. Michale Graves - "Radio Deadly" - Punk Rock Is Dead
17. Otis Redding - "You Left the Water Running" - Greatest Hits
18. The Pietasters - "Yesterday's Over" - Awesome Mix Tape, Vol. 6
19. The Clash - "Rudie Can't Fail" - London Calling
20. Bruce Springsteen - "Out in the Street" - The River
21. Pavement - "Summer Babe" - Slanted and Enchanted
22. The Dismemberment Plan - "The Ice of Boston" - The Ice of Boston
23. The National - "Abel" - Alligator

Axver

I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE COLOURS

A list made entirely whilst gazing at shoes.

A list in which I commit the cardinal sin of using a live track, because I think it works.

A list with no Neil Finn, no Steven Wilson, and just two bands from New Zealand - what has happened to me?

A list that will alienate anybody who doesn't like a hearty dose of effects with their guitars.

This is the list that celebrates itself.

1. Ride - "Leave Them All Behind" - Going Blank Again (8:20)
2. Whipping Boy - "Safari" - Submarine (3:23)
3. The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - "Doing All The Things That Wouldn't Make Your Parents Proud" - The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart EP (2:36)
4. Surf City - "Crazy Rulers Of The World" - Kudos (3:19)
5. Bailter Space - "Process Paid" - Vortura (3:44)
6. Kitchens Of Distinction - "What Happens Now?" - The Death Of Cool (4:33)
7. Slowdive - "When The Sun Hits" - Souvlaki (4:48)
8. Malory - "Floating" - Pearl Diver (7:18)
9. Air Formation - "Three Years Pass" - Nothing To Wish For (Nothing To Lose) (5:53)
10. Alcest - "Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde" - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde (6:09)
11. Chapterhouse - "Something More" - Sunburst (3:20)
12. The Ecstacy Of Saint Theresa - "Who's" - Pigment (3:29)
13. The Joy Formidable - "Cradle" - The Big Roar (2:47)
14. Swervedriver - "You Find It Everywhere" - Mezcal Head (4:10)
15. Solar Powered People - "Melting Ice And Snow" - Living Through The Low (3:31)
16. Lilys - "Tone Bender" - In The Presence Of Nothing (3:16)
17. The Verve - "Gravity Grave" - Voyager 1 (8:20)

Total: 78:46

bono_212

Saxamaphone...Saxamaphone

sax.gif

When I was 11 or 12 years old, I made one of the most important decisions of my life. It was time to select which instrument I was going to play in concert band the following school year. I was ready. I wanted to play drums. My mother...she wasn't so ready...she crushed my dreams. The time came to decide, and I chose the alto saxophone, begrudgingly. Before my time in Middle School began, I was required to take a summer introductory course. That was where I met my future high school band director, and I had no idea at the time that this would be a significant event in my life. In the meanwhile, I began sixth grade band, and immediately rebelled against the sax when I was to play 2nd parts, meaning I never ever played the melody, ever. But, those flutes down there, they did. So, to the flute I went, and to the flute I stayed for the next three years. I hated it, and I was awful at it, but the option to change was no longer available and I was trapped.

Then, in 8th grade, that same high school band director came to recruit people for marching band, and I saw my in. He allowed me to switch back to saxophone for marching band only, and in concert band I soon found my way to the bassoon, and the flute became a dark, distant memory.

I could continue to go on about how much the saxophone changed my life (and marching band as well), but suffice it to say that if I had been forced to stay on that flute, I would, in all likelihood, have eventually given up on band, and my life would be an incredibly different thing. I say that knowing a lot more than you about that change, I realize, but trust me on this one.

Anyways, during college, I finally became a fan of Bruce Springsteen, and while my time playing the sax was nearing a close, my love for the instrument only grew and grew. It was just as I was becoming a great fan of Dave Matthews, and more specifically, LeRoi Moore, that he passed away. I was devastated, as I had passed on an opportunity to see the band just that year, and realized the opportunity to see one of the greatest around would never exist for me from then on. Now, as the recent passing of Clarence Clemons becomes a fact of life that I am beginning to be able to deal with, I find that the saxophone is suddenly making a come back in popular music, and I couldn't be more pleased. I just hope that its inevitable fall back to cliche isn't too painful.

In the meanwhile, I figured a list of some of my favorite saxophone pop music would be something fun for, at least me, to listen to. I hope you also enjoy. I know some of the transitions are a bit wonky, but I was working with limited time (I'm referring to the 80 minutes, not the month I've spent putting this list together), and a great many different genres.

I especially hope you enjoy the transition from "Soul Man" to "Shotgun".

Well, I think I've said enough, please do have a splendid time listening, and know that when I hear this list, my heart does indeed, near literally, soar.

Track Listing:

1.) Marc Shaiman - "Nuns to the Rescue" - Sister Act (4:48)
2.) The Blues Brothers - "Soul Man" - Briefcase Full of Blues (3:03)
3.) Jr. Walker & The All Stars - "Shotgun" - Now That's What I Call Motown (3:19)
4.) Fontella Bass - "Rescue Me" - The New Look
5.) Dave Matthews Band - "Grey Street" - Busted Stuff (5:08)
6.) Men At Work - "Overkill" - Cargo (3:45)
7.) Roxy Music - "Same Old Scene" - Flesh + Blood (3:59)
8.) The Cure - "A Night Like This" - The Head on the Door (4:16)
9.) Eddie Money - "Take Me Home Tonight" - Greatest Hits (3:32)
10.) Gerry Rafferty - "Baker Street" - City to City (6:01)
11.) Al Stewart - "Year of the Cat" - Year of the Cat (6:34)
12.) Peter Gabriel - "Start" - Peter Gabriel III (1:21)
13.) Cunninlynguists - "Stars Shine Brightest (In the Darkest of Night)" - Oneirology (4:03)
14.) Destroyer - "Suicide Demo For Kara Walker" - Kaputt (8:26)
15.) Tears for Fears - "The Working Hour" - Songs From the Big Chair (6:32)
16.) Bruce Springsteen - "Secret Garden" - Greatest Hits (4:28)
17.) Bon Iver - "Beth/Rest" - Bon Iver, Bon Iver (5:17)

Total Time: 1:17:17

Oh My God, I completely forgot until just now what my cover art was supposed to be. Travis just reminded me...I may need an edit if you're around :shifty:

sax.gif
this one please.
(Holy shit, I didn't realize my write up was that long)

IWB, Ice of Boston > Abel elicited honest to God applause from Travis and me.

Ax, I, too, used a live track, because I didn't have much of a choice :lol:

After seeing IWB's list, I'm immediately curious about two things.

1. How Glee will transition into Rush

2. How "Abel" sounds as a closer

Can't wait to find out!

Wow, these four lists could hardly come from more different places.

Oh dear, Ashley, I'm often a bit prejudiced against the saxophone, or for that matter any wind instrument. :uhoh: But then you DO have one of my favourite Cure songs there, so we'll see how I go.

Joey, your point #1 is something I never wanted answered! Who knew Glee would be so hard to avoid.

And anybody familiar with Chapterhouse, that version of Something More in my list is quite different to the one found on Whirlpool - and according to the band it's how they wanted it to sound. Hope you enjoy.

Joey, your point #1 is something I never wanted answered! Who knew Glee would be so hard to avoid.

oddly enough, despite this being my list, i didn't really want to know either. it probably transitions incredibly poorly in the ears of people who aren't me, and i think you're actually supposed to hate the idea with every ounce of your being. i think i was trying to commit some musical crimes or something here.

There not being text in the speech bubble was what probably made me laugh the hardest, so I'm glad you forgot :lol:.

As for my list, I felt it was one of those "I really need to do this for myself" kind of lists. So, no, I don't expect it to be the most popular, but hopefully everyone will find something to enjoy. Especially "A Night Like This" :drool:

I'm sad that its' the Glee version of "Defying Gravity" and not the original.

No matter how you slice it, it's still a Broadway song. But this is a Broadway song I happen to like.

I hate Glee. And I'm not referencing Community there, I truly hate it with every fibre of my being.

Disappointed there's no Floyd tracks on your sax list, 212121212121212, but maybe you aren't a fan. Looks delish.

And hey, I'll take all the recommendations I can get for stuff I may have left off/didn't know. I can always add to this playlist later, since, as I said, this is one of my favorite lists of mine, period.

I'm sad that its' the Glee version of "Defying Gravity" and not the original.

No matter how you slice it, it's still a Broadway song. But this is a Broadway song I happen to like.

trust me, the fact that i like a broadway song is pretty alarming and weird.

i was pretty unhappy with it being the glee version, which by definition is going to be inferior, and tried to make it work otherwise. unfortunatly, this way i could delude myself into thinking it flowed. with the wicked soundtrack version i have, i couldn't even convince myself it fit. and i'm still bitter i couldn't make the satriani i wanted fit, either.

pretty sure i got the glee thing out of my system, so LM, you don't have to ask phanster to ban me from future DIs.

Damn, there's still a few records I haven't listened to on Part One of the Mini DI, haha.

Axver's seems extremely mouthwatering by the looks of it.

"grey street" is incidentally the only song from busted stuff i like, and over the years has turned into one of about 5 dmb songs i still enjoy. so :up:

Lists look great. IWB, your cover art is awesome.

"Crush" is the only Dave Matthews song that I really enjoy. It's such a huge anomaly because, I fucking love that song, and it brings up some really good memories, and I basically don't like anything else they've done.

There may be a handful of other songs that aren't all bad, and that I sort of like, but I haven't heard them in years.

"Crush" was THE song I was going to use, but there was no time :( same with "Sweet Home Chicago".

But the replacement songs for both are ALSO supreme favorites, so it works.

The solo that goes throughout "Grey Street" is pretty amazing, imo.

A saxophone-inspired list without John Coltrane, Wayne Shorter, or Sonny Rollins? What gives, 212? :grumpy:

:wink:

A saxophone-inspired list without John Coltrane, Wayne Shorter, or Sonny Rollins? What gives, 212? :grumpy:

:wink:

I was scared of your response :lol:.

I have most certainly been remiss in my jazz saxophone studies.

I'm sure we've talked about this before, but while I was in jazz band, even played bari sax and trombone in it, I've just never loved jazz. That attitude is changing for me now, but it is slow going ;)

Cassie, just about to finish your list, but does that "Hiiipower" song have something to do with that one Kanye West song?

EDIT: I wrote this post at the beginning of the song, by the end of it, I'd answered my own question :wink:

Cassie, just about to finish your list, but does that "Hiiipower" song have something to do with that one Kanye West song?

EDIT: I wrote this post at the beginning of the song, by the end of it, I'd answered my own question :wink:

:D Glad you figured it out. As far as I know, there is no relation to "Power."

I was scared of your response :lol:.

I have most certainly been remiss in my jazz saxophone studies.

I'm sure we've talked about this before, but while I was in jazz band, even played bari sax and trombone in it, I've just never loved jazz. That attitude is changing for me now, but it is slow going ;)

It is a very tough genre to crack. You may at some point find an album that completely allures you, but that does not happen for everyone, and I can understand why.

For a long time Kind of Blue was the only jazz album I'd heard, and it took so long for me to get to the point where I actually enjoy listening to it. The longest it's taken me to ever get into an album, save for maybe OK Computer.

Back
Top Bottom