Mini Island Master List, Part Two - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2011, 12:04 AM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:17 AM
Had a great time listening to IWB's playlist. That beginning from Glee to Rush was certainly...different. But Rush into Zep redeemed you. And continuing after that, good stuff. Who would've thought there'd be two playlists that contained a Stray Cats song?

Some nice choice cuts from way back when with Buddy Holly and Otis Redding, and one can never go wrong with a Bruce inclusion. I was curious how it would end with Abel, but it seemed to be ok.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:35 AM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry to everybody for the expired link. I'll get a new one uploaded today or tomorrow.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
Had a great time listening to IWB's playlist. That beginning from Glee to Rush was certainly...different. But Rush into Zep redeemed you. And continuing after that, good stuff. Who would've thought there'd be two playlists that contained a Stray Cats song?

Some nice choice cuts from way back when with Buddy Holly and Otis Redding, and one can never go wrong with a Bruce inclusion. I was curious how it would end with Abel, but it seemed to be ok.
thanks for the kind words. yeah, "different" indeed. i wish i had written down somewhere why i thought they transitioned well, because i don't hear it anymore. i wish i could blame being drunk or high, but truthfully i was not. maybe sleep-deprived? can't remember. i do remember that abel was supposed to leave that sense of "damn, i need to listen to more rockin' tunes STAT!" and now that the list is over, you can go find the kickass songs of your choice and rock out.

while i certainly have no problems making lists without the dropkicks, it would be damn near impossible for me to in good conscience leave off bruce (or the clash, for that matter).
Old 09-02-2011, 01:02 PM   #49
Blue Crack Addict

Had Ashley's playlist going this morning. On paper, it looked like one that I'd like, and that proved to be the case. Most of these songs are classics, and you just knew she was going to get Take Me Home Tonight on a playlist sooner or later. Some great old selections, although Rescue Me has to have a better sounding version available, I would think. I might have to investigate.

My only complaint is the trio of Year Of The Cat, Start, and Stars Shine Brightest, as they all get cut off and therefore it comes across a bit choppy. And I have Year Of The Cat, and it fades out nicely on my version.

Major props for The Working Hour's inclusion - awesome song.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:09 PM   #50
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:17 AM
that's interesting about "Rescue Me" and "Year of the Cat". I'll go ahead and blame Travis for that one, as he got the MP3s together for me while I was at work (though he'll just blame me because I gave each song a quick runthrough before I submitted it XD)

I love that someone knows about my love of "Take Me Home Tonight" (or does everyone ). I've been trying to worm it onto a list for years, and finally, FINALLY, I had an excuse.

Start > Stars Shine was kind of a quick fix for the cutoffs, but, I had hoped the songs would overshadow the transition.

And yes, "The Working Hour" is a great song, isn't it? It had to fight it out with "Your Latest Trick" by Dire Straits, because they're both pretty long and have almost the same exact intro. That was a hard cut to make.

Anyways, I'm so glad you liked it .
Old 09-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

Your Latest Trick would've worked as well. Great tune.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #52
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Axver, enjoyed very much, the flow was great and the music was right up my alley. Though I must say, that Joy Formidable track certainly took me aback. I thought to myself, "Surely, Axver can't possibly be listening to something so...so...so happy..."

Great list of songs man, had a nice good listen.
Glad you enjoyed it! I was wondering if you made much of the alternate version of Something More that I used.

Confused by your (and iron yuppie's) comments about Cradle though. I think the only thing resembling "so happy" is the band name; the lyrics aren't happy at all. Sure it's uptempo, but I wouldn't call it upbeat ... the next track, You Find It Everywhere, I think is far more uplifting, probably the most of the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I always forget Axver likes music that isn't death metal/14-hour prog suites.
Haha, I don't listen to that much death metal these days (really, my main metal interest at the moment is blackgaze - shoegaze-influenced black metal), and I haven't listened to prog in years. I'd say at the moment I'm mostly listening to shoegaze, post-rock, jangle pop, and some post-punk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Just finished Axver's list. Like his previous entry, the flow on this was somehow more than seamless. The tracks all coalesced to the extent that I could hardly tell where one ended and the next began. Unlike the last DI list, however, I felt that this one was a bit too homogeneous in style and tempo to make a lasting impression. The Joy Formidable track, as others have noted, was a welcome interpolation, and the Malory track was so stellar that I had to take note of it. On the whole, then, the feeling and mood were strongly crafted but perhaps also at the expense of memorable songs.
I suppose this was the risk of doing a single-genre list, in that it has the risk of excessive similarity. And in my own opinion I kind of blow my list's load straight up with Leave Them All Behind, which I'm fairly convinced is the best shoegaze song ever. I toyed with it as the final song, but it's just too perfect as an opener.

I'm very glad you thought so highly of the flow, because I was questioning just about every transition by the time I submitted it!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #53
Refugee

I've been running behind on these lists but I hope to have all four done by this time next week.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 AM   #54
45:33

Finished your list cassie. LOVED IT. /surprise.

Strawberry Swing was a good opener (I can't love that track though, I just love Coldplay's version too much and I don't feel Frankie adds much) which led brilliantly into Mathematics, which fucking ruled. I seriously have to chase down Mos Def asap. (The beat reminded me a bit of the one in Bad Boys For Life by Diddy.) Doomtree track was terrific. Was blown away by this tongue-twisting rap:

Synchronized syncing a single – sided dye attire fire
I’m sick of this sickness I want to signal the symbol the signs
The sinners are seeking asylum, sedative seconds deny them
The sun at the center is dimming, spinning in silence
Synapses sing where science
Sitting inside a citizen’s sinuses ring with sirens of singing is violence
It goes thanks TS, but the world ends like this
Not a bang, not a whimper, but a silibant hiss

Unbelievable.

Now contained an incredibly fast rap, even faster than some of the Busta tracks I've heard, and was pretty good. Wugazi literally blew me away. I can't believe how good that sounded. If the rest is that good..? I've gotta check it out pronto. Dessa track was fantastic, she has awesome vocals. Untouchable Freestyle I'd never heard but it was probably the best track, again it shows everything why I love Tupac so much and consider him probably the best rapper I've ever heard. Enjoyed the Yeezy aping in HiiiPower. Why? intrigue me, I see they're listed as indie rock/alt hip hop on wikipedia, which is cool. Great song, I'd have to go back to the lyrics to see what you were getting at though.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:45 AM   #55
Blue Crack Addict

So I'm thinking we wrap this up by the end of next week or so. I know I've been going slow and only have two playlists left, so I'm thinking most everyone else has heard the majority of these lists as well.

Let's shoot for everyone to submit their rankings by Friday, September 16, and then we'll do the results thread somewhere around the following Monday.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:58 AM   #56

Cool with me!

Finished your list Axver, and I must say it was quite tremendous. A few of the tracks wore a bit thin (Gravity Grave in particular annoyed the shit out of me), and it was definitely homogenous, but that didn't bother me too much given it was only a mini DI. I was quite surprised at how many of the tracks I really loved. Leave Them All Behind was sensational, though it was much too long. I liked Floating quite a bit. The Alcest song was really good (are they a metal band? I thought they were). My favourite song of the list (which would have fallen to Leave Them All Behind if it finished after about five minutes) was Cradle, by The Joy Formidable. Have I heard them before? The lead singer had a familiar voice. My only other complaint was that a lot of the tracks didn't feature strong vocalists, and as a rule I've never liked when the vocals are hidden under a swathe of guitars. It's like the singers are admitting they suck, so they should just hide their voices under a wall of noise. But otherwise, very nice
Old 09-08-2011, 07:55 AM   #57
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:17 AM
So b asically what you're saying is you don't like shoegaze?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #58

I like the guitars!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Listening to Ax's list today. I hope.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #60
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
(Gravity Grave in particular annoyed the shit out of me)
/ban