Mini Island Master List, Part Two

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Finished Ashley's list... very good! I didn't overall love the first two thirds, but it was certainly far from bad. Baker Street is a classic, Overkill is the second Men at Work song I've ever heard, the soul opening was quite strong. But the playlist took a turn for the stratosphere with the transition from Start into CunninLynguists, and from then on it was stellar. You did a remarkable job fitting Stars Shine in there. Suicide Demo is just guhhhhhh:heart:, The Working Hour and Secret Garden were terrific, and Beth/Rest, well, it doesn't even sound like it came out in 2011.

:up:

:D, Thanks man. I'm glad you found a part of it to love, lol. Also glad you enjoyed "Secret Garden". I'm never sure how people feel about that song.

Getting back to posting my thoughts on Ax's list...

Considering that I enjoy this type of music, there was quite a bit on here that I was not familiar with. That Malory track was a highlight for me - I'd never heard of them before. And while I know of Chapterhouse and Swervedriver, and keep telling myself I'll dive further into their material, for some reason I just haven't done so yet. Hearing these tracks serves as a reminder that I need to resolve that.

Of course, there's stuff here I do know. Love the start with Ride, nice selections with Pains Of Being Pure At Heart and Slowdive, and of course Alcest. You can never have too much Alcest.

Nicely done.

With IWB I'm now finished all the lists!

I loved the finish! From Otis Redding onwards was terrific. The rest, well. Just didn't enjoy it much. Houses of the Holy's a great song of course. Hated the Glee song from the very first second. But Rudie Can't Fail > Out in the Street > Summer Babe > Ice of Boston > Abel was great :up:

Also Ashley I loved that Dave Matthews Band song.

That makes me happy to hear :D. It's one of my absolute favorites, and it was a decent hit at the time it came out, but it didn't last :(.

212er's list: thematically and flow-wise, does exactly everything it sets out to do. so much, in fact, that the few songs i might not hate in another context, make me really want nothing to do with them. sorry, song-wise this felt like a huge chore to get through--probably as much as if i were to make an entire mini DI that was all ny hardcore (note to self, probably not wise to do). either that, or i'm just bitter cos "take me home tonight" is going to be stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

Just finished the final three lists. First up was 212. I felt that the list was a fun-loving tour of different genres and eras. I personally found the Motown/Soul portion to be the most enjoyable, but several other songs from artists that I like were scattered throughout as well. The Bruce-Bon Iver finale was an interesting (i.e., unexpected) combination, but I think that it worked within the framework of a list that thrived on diversity.

Next was IWB. This list contained some stellar tracks: Bruce, Zeppelin, The National, Otis Redding, and The Clash - why was I not more aware of Rudie Can't Fail before this list? - I was glad to hear all of them. Even though I claim not to be a fan of Rush, I found myself smiling when The Spirit of Radio started. I suppose this is as good a place as any to confess that I am not a fan of the 90s indie scene, so the Dismemberment Plan-Pavement combination lost me a bit (by the way, why the hell does Malkmus keep laughing on Slanted & Enchanted?), but overall I had a grand old time listening to a list that kept the changes of direction coming.

The third belonged to OneBlood. I appreciated that this list made good on your promise that Hip-Hop does not always deal with the stereotypical themes of money, violence, and priapism. The flow and beats on these tracks were often excellent, but I think that my favorite track was the final one. The guy's awkward, almost self-conscious delivery made for an intriguing contrast with the bravado of the rest of the list and the genre as a whole.

the-more-you-know1.jpg

:ohmy:

I warn you, boy, you will be screwed; girl, you will be fucked;

a third penalty awaits the bearded thief.
If a woman steals from me, or a man, or a boy,

let the first give me her cunt, the second his head, the third his buttocks.
My dick will go through the middle of boys and the middle of girls,

but with bearded men it will aim only for the top.

I'll pm my rankings when I get home, not mia this time, just busy.

and here I was thinking i was going to get yelled at again this time.

:wink:

Who do we have to kill disqualify kill to get the results posted, then?

I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have submitted an entry; I should've gone with my original instinct. I hate to go out from DI on such a lame note as this. I've only managed about half the lists; it would be completely unfair for me to bluff a ranking and I genuinely feel bad for wasting everybody's time with my list.

I've just lost my passion for DI. I don't see myself competing again in the near future. I still love making lists, but I honestly feel like my music listening has moved to a different place than one featuring various listening tournaments (I have similarly retired from RYM's Single Of The Day). I don't want this to sound like a slight on anybody or this forum's listmaking, which consistently gets better with each tournament and has attracted some truly interesting and individual lists. It's just not where I am any more and I just keep procrastinating on it to the point that I might as well be honest and bow out. Again, I'm sorry I didn't do this at the start of this tournament instead of awkwardly doing it now.

It's a shame too, because I really wanted to give my Metal Island a swing and see how people responded to it. Next full DI, I might upload it for any interested parties as supplemental listening, but it won't be entered officially because I doubt I'll even have the time, let alone the passion, to go through all the entries.

Back
Top Bottom