Mini Island Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two listens so far, one from someone well versed in ambient/electronic music and one from someone who hadn't delved into it at all and the reactions in both cases are really positive? I'm thrilled; that's exactly the sort of response I was looking for. Thanks for listening, guys.

Glad you dug the Aphex Twin track, Vlad. LISTEN TO THAT SHIT, COBBLER.

If you enjoyed that track vlad (and there's one on my list too) I think you'd take to the album. It's remarkable.

I think I might sometime soon! Suppose my friend was right in bugging me to listen.

Two listens so far, one from someone well versed in ambient/electronic music and one from someone who hadn't delved into it at all and the reactions in both cases are really positive? I'm thrilled; that's exactly the sort of response I was looking for. Thanks for listening, guys.

Ha, no problem!

Downloading MelonLemon and LastExitToSpringfield's lists as we speakos. Reggo your list has disappeared.

I just figured out why mofo doesn't participate in this comps either... technically we're illegally downloading.

I re-sent the link to everyone. If it doesn't work, shove it up your aux hole I'll redo the damn thing and shoot the hosting site in the face.

Just got through iron yuppie's list.

The blues isn't a genre I really listen to that much, but I do appreciate it when I hear it. I loved the selection that combined classic and current. Opening with "Dirt" was an excellent choice that seemed to slither the playlist to life. The transition between Hendrix and Springsteen was a little rough, mainly cause "Tom Joad" is such a dark change in mood and tempo.

The inclusion of "Personal Jesus" was excellent. If you saw Depeche Mode on the last tour, they stripped back the intro to just the guitar, really bringing out those bluesy qualities to it. Of course, ending with "When the Levee Breaks" was great. Once that drumbeat comes in, you can't help but rock out.

Awesome start to this Mini DI. Next up is Reggo!

My thoughts on Reggo's list:

I felt this struck a perfect balance between both theme and individual song presence. The last DI list, Gloria Grey, worked excellently together. But I probably wouldn't listen to most of those tracks by themselves.

This time, the emotional theme and flow was still consistent and the songs could stand on their own. Scissor Sisters to Janis Joplin was a really strong showing. Carrie Underwood and Led Zeppelin somehow worked wonders next to each other. "Unforgiven" was a nice little discovery for me as well. The only complaint I have is the Rihanna track didn't make for a memorable closer. Loved the rest!

My thoughts on Reggo's list:

I felt this struck a perfect balance between both theme and individual song presence. The last DI list, Gloria Grey, worked excellently together. But I probably wouldn't listen to most of those tracks by themselves.

This time, the emotional theme and flow was still consistent and the songs could stand on their own. Scissor Sisters to Janis Joplin was a really strong showing. Carrie Underwood and Led Zeppelin somehow worked wonders next to each other. "Unforgiven" was a nice little discovery for me as well. The only complaint I have is the Rihanna track didn't make for a memorable closer. Loved the rest!

Thanks, Joey. I almost opened with Scissor Sisters and moved Christina to after Rihanna, but "Kiss You Off" fades in kind of weird, so I thought it needed another song before it. Glad you enjoyed it, though.

phanan's list up first:

the title did much to make me pretty psyched about this, plus i know phan is a wiz when it comes to the art of playlist-making. i'm not sure why initially scrolling through the titles i thought this list was going to kick my ass in some kind of unabashed rock n roll dervish of destruction. i'm not sure at all why i thought that. that might be more a testament to the fact that i really only knew half the songs on it before listening. songs like "no matter what" and "stop, stop, stop" (both highlights) sounded so much more subdued to me than they have in the past. maybe it's context, or maybe i had it wrong. i don't know where certain preconcieved notions regarding this list exactly came from, but it doesn't matter anyway. this is prettyperfect summer daytime driving music. it rocks, but in a lighter, airy, happier kind of way that i enjoyed quite a bit (except for bob seger. i hate bob seger).

random other thoughts: i enjoyed that sweet song probably more than i should. heh, katrina and the waves had a song other than "walking on sunshine"? ( :wink: ).
one of my favorite jesus and mary chain songs is here. and i thought i was supposed to hate the knack, but i did dig that song. the replacements/x worked great back to back.

Sorry for the delay. I'm one of those...delay fish. Anyways, listening to iYup's now.

Oh, IYup, just finished putting the list together, and getting a good look at what was on it, while listening to what may have been the only Stooges song I've ever heard, and I think we can both agree, this is not going to be in my wheelhouse at all, is it? :lol:.

Though I do love this Stones song.

And that will complete my first Mini DI listen of this competition :yippie:.

I enjoyed it well enough, IYup, as much as I do enjoy some of that music, and not so much others >_>. It flowed well, and I thought the song selections were mostly great. I'm pretty sure the only song I outright disliked was the Stooges one, so I'll probably just continue to avoid them at all costs.

Oh, IYup, just finished putting the list together, and getting a good look at what was on it, while listening to what may have been the only Stooges song I've ever heard, and I think we can both agree, this is not going to be in my wheelhouse at all, is it? :lol:.

:lol: Yeah, I guess not. You are more of a post-punk, shoegazey type, right? Thanks for listening, though - glad that you found something to like in there!

For some reason, when I downloaded iyup's playlist, the decompression failed. Did anyone else have this issue?

I had downloaded LM's before Reggo's as the first link she had didn't work, so I'm a little out of order now. LM will be up first.

I hate post-punk :lol:. Shoegaze though, :drool:. But to peg me down to any one genre of music is pretty hard. You really never can tell what I'm going to like. I guess New Wave is my favorite genre? If I were forced to select one?

I always forget they're considered Post-Punk. I always associate the genre with Joy Division, who I just can't seem to enjoy the music of at all, save for a handful of amazing songs. Hate is too harsh a word anyways, there are plenty of post-punk bands I like. :hmm: perhaps this requires a search through my Rate Your Music ratings!

Oh man, Reggo, you have some of my biggest guilty pleasures songs on here, and HOLYSHITSOMEONEELSEINTHEWORLDKNOWSUNFORGIVENBYTHEGOGOS. :faint:

Reggo, I'm not sure if I can forgive you for subjecting me to that cover of "Go Your Own Way". When did the songs on Glee stop actually sounding like glee club music, and more just like cheesy covers? I've never in my life seen a glee club with screaming electric guitar.

Long and short of it is: I felt like the flow wasn't so great this time around, but when the comparison is to your last DI list, that's some intense shoes to have to fill, y'know? The song selection was a bit hit or miss, but you got your purpose across very clearly and obviously this was a personal list to you. I did a personal list once myself, and while the rest of the listeners didn't care much for it, I found it very soothing to have the music out there for others to hear and the feelings a bit more out of my system, you know?

Wait, there was a Glee version on a DI list? I scanned over the track listing and assumed Reggo thought Lindsey Buckingham was a chick and threw the album version on the list; understandable, really.

Point here is: :tsk:

Oh man, Reggo, you have some of my biggest guilty pleasures songs on here, and HOLYSHITSOMEONEELSEINTHEWORLDKNOWSUNFORGIVENBYTHEGOGOS. :faint:
I have that whole Go-Go's album, I LOVE it to death.

Reggo, I'm not sure if I can forgive you for subjecting me to that cover of "Go Your Own Way". When did the songs on Glee stop actually sounding like glee club music, and more just like cheesy covers? I've never in my life seen a glee club with screaming electric guitar.
...I'm sorry. :reject:

Long and short of it is: I felt like the flow wasn't so great this time around, but when the comparison is to your last DI list, that's some intense shoes to have to fill, y'know? The song selection was a bit hit or miss, but you got your purpose across very clearly and obviously this was a personal list to you. I did a personal list once myself, and while the rest of the listeners didn't care much for it, I found it very soothing to have the music out there for others to hear and the feelings a bit more out of my system, you know?
Thanks, Ashley. Yeah, I set the bar pretty high for myself last time, lol. Sorry for not living up to that, I guess? Glad you enjoyed it, though.

Wait, there was a Glee version on a DI list? I scanned over the track listing and assumed Reggo thought Lindsey Buckingham was a chick and threw the album version on the list; understandable, really.

Point here is: :tsk:

Friggin' Traviud.

vlad's next. highlights were "nevskii prospect" the kino song, although for the most part there wasn't a whole lot i really want to listen to on its own. it did flow well, though. it just all started to blend together. probably the only thing i actively disliked was the saxaphone solo at the end of the b-2.

Wait, there was a Glee version on a DI list?

:shifty:

ah well, you guys don't expect anything GOOD from me, anyway.

i also seem to have forgotten the whole desert island part of this, since i wouldn't be too heartbroken if i had certain other songs over the ones on my list for this particular game. 1) shit i like 2) that goes well with other shit i like 2a) or maybe doesn't but for some twisted reason does in my mind 3) and then somewhere lower on the priority list is stuff i'd be really upset if i got stuck somewhere and could only listen to a select handful of tunes again.

I used to try really hard to keep the DI concept in mind, but with the no repetition thing, I already did the best I could in a "music I have to have with me" list.

the only thing i actively disliked was the saxaphone solo

:uhoh:

Back
Top Bottom