Mini Island Master List, Part One - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2011, 03:25 AM   #106
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:45 AM
I'm thinking I might have to retire. I've got a list all ready to go, but I'm just not sure I can get around to listening to everybody's lists ... wouldn't be fair to submit and then half-arse it.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:45 PM
If it helps, I probably won't be launching the next thread for at least another week, and when that happens, it's not going to be as much as the first one. We've lost a couple of people already.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #108
Vocal parasite

I would really like to use my current list, given all the tweaks I've made to it, so I'll see if I can get through some of the current stuff in the forthcoming week. I'll be honest though and say only LM and Vlad's lists really look interesting to me on paper, which partly explains my lack of motivation.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:47 PM   #109
45:33

fair call. I'd have a hard time getting motivated to listen too if you, collapse/atomicbono, iwb and phanan all made metal lists.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:59 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:45 AM
Listening to LM's list tonight. I'm approaching it with some reluctance because I already know this isn't going to be my thing. But instead of taking the piss out of his artist selections, like he did with mine, I'm going to do my best and give it a fair try.

Electronica. Why did it have to be electronica?
Old 08-11-2011, 12:09 AM   #111
The Male

Local Time: 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo
Electronica. Why did it have to be electronica?
Because I enjoy ambient, just as you enjoy the occasional Glee cover.

Like iYup said, genre mixes are alienating by default, so if a few people can't get into it, I'll have to deal.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 AM   #112
Blue Crack Addict

I got as far as the Japan track before Spotify took a shit. I like the Bonobo track so far. Will finish it tomorrow, then Joey's.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:50 PM   #113
Refugee

LemonMelon's list is done:

Aphex Twin was excellent as is everything I’ve heard by them. I had never heard of Pantha Du Prince before, but it kept my attention despite its length. I especially love the vocals and those keys that sound like a lighter version of the ones on “Kid A”. Not sure if “El Toro” really worked to follow that, but I enjoyed the song. “This Unfolds” didn’t flow well either. Something about Japan’s vocals sounded really familiar to me, but I can’t place my finger on it. Of course, Eno’s atmospheres are magnificent, beautiful with a hint of darkness. The playlist really took off from Massive Attack to the end. The flow was much improved, with each track offering something different from the last but still making sense together. It moved a lot quicker from that point forward. “Loch Raven” and “Kid A” were a perfect pair. Only problem was that a second of the whoosh sound that leads into “National Anthem” threw the transition to Bjork off.

It was a cool list with some nice discoveries for me.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #114
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Downloading reggo's and vlad's lists (not having any trouble so far, what's people's problem with rapidshare?)
It's slow and just awful.

Phanan, about 10 tracks in and the flow of your list is great so far. Not the world's biggest power pop fan, but actually, I'm just having a fun time listening. Also hearing a lot of songs I'm unfamiliar with by artists I am is always fun. That Sweet song sounded almost a bit too much like "What is Life", however.

As for my DI list, it shall be finished this evening, I swear it.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #115
Blue Crack Distributor

I didn't care a lot for some of the stuff in the second half, and was specifically disappointed in the Katrina & The Waves song, but regardless, overall feel worked, and it was a fun list. Maybe I was just a little put out by the fact that not only did I know next to nothing on the list, I hadn't heard of many of the bands either.

Sorry if that just came off a little negative there, I'm kind of just in a mood this evening. I really did like the list.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #116
The Male

I listened to it with her, and while I am for the most part thrilled by the list, I am a little put off by that poppy dreamgaze (wut) section that stole the momentum a little bit. Didn't work for me, not in a list driven by an upbeat, visceral rock band sound like this one. Also, I didn't care for the ELO song(!); they have so many excellent songs that would have fit superbly on this list, and Rock This Town is a perfectly respectable closer as it is.

But yeah, just a couple of minor complaints there. Rock on. Power pop respect.

Now.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:42 AM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

Spotify decided to behave tonight.

Well, Traviud, let it never be said that you can't put a DI list together. You're very adept at it and this time is no exception. Ambient electronica is not a genre I can get into. I tried, but man. I still like the Bonobo track and Radiohead is Radiohead is Radiohead. But for most of them, especially the ones that were longer than 5 minutes, I just felt myself waiting for something to happen. I was disinterested. And I could not stand that Japan track.

That being said, for what you were going for, it certainly never lost the plot. Very well put together and everything meshed. Your sequencing is unparalleled. Technically, it's a very good list, but musically, my brain wanted to eat itself halfway through Mezzanine.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:12 AM   #118
45:33

Is it:

All these have floors
or
All these half floors

I sing have, but it doesn't make sense given the following line is "will lead to mine"

Though there's probably less point trying to decipher trip hop lyrics than just about any other genre.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #119
The Male

"All these have flaws...will lead to mine" actually.

Now.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:28 PM   #120
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I didn't care a lot for some of the stuff in the second half, and was specifically disappointed in the Katrina & The Waves song, but regardless, overall feel worked, and it was a fun list. Maybe I was just a little put out by the fact that not only did I know next to nothing on the list, I hadn't heard of many of the bands either.

Sorry if that just came off a little negative there, I'm kind of just in a mood this evening. I really did like the list.
Nah, it's cool. Glad you liked it for the most part. Katrina & The Waves had that one good album, but most everyone only knows Walking On Sunshine, while the rest is filled with great guitar-driven pop songs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
I listened to it with her, and while I am for the most part thrilled by the list, I am a little put off by that poppy dreamgaze (wut) section that stole the momentum a little bit. Didn't work for me, not in a list driven by an upbeat, visceral rock band sound like this one. Also, I didn't care for the ELO song(!); they have so many excellent songs that would have fit superbly on this list, and Rock This Town is a perfectly respectable closer as it is.

But yeah, just a couple of minor complaints there. Rock on. Power pop respect.
Tried to go for a few different strands of pop there. I thought it came out well enough, though I understand not everyone will like it. It gave me an opportunity to use some artists most people might be unfamiliar with, like Carnival Season or Holly & The Italians.