Mini Island Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i did a call at work which left me standing for an absurdly long time while we waited for the cops to sort out IDs on the housefull of illegal mexicans, in which i watched too many cockroaches climb around the walls. went home at the end of my shift and somehow cockroaches came up in a dream, except that i kept saying tarakan cos i couldn't remember the english word for cockroach :huh:

This is the slowest it has taken me to listen to playlists, and this is only a mini. Stupid work getting in the way.

I finally listened to iyup's today, and it was outstanding. I love the blues, and I thought this was a great mix of old and new. Every song on here is fantastic. I hadn't listened to John Paul Jones' solo material before, but that was a mindblowing track. If the rest of that album is as good as that song, I need to listen to it right away.

Someone touched on the Hendrix to Springsteen transition, and I agree it was a bit jarring. I think another song was needed in between to bridge the two. Also, while I love Personal Jesus, the acoustic version would have worked MUCH better for this.

Other than that, no complaints here. There isn't any other track that could close it like When The Levee Breaks, perhaps my all-time favorite Zep song. This was a real treat to listen to...

This is the slowest it has taken me to listen to playlists, and this is only a mini. Stupid work getting in the way.

I finally listened to iyup's today, and it was outstanding. I love the blues, and I thought this was a great mix of old and new. Every song on here is fantastic. I hadn't listened to John Paul Jones' solo material before, but that was a mindblowing track. If the rest of that album is as good as that song, I need to listen to it right away.

Someone touched on the Hendrix to Springsteen transition, and I agree it was a bit jarring. I think another song was needed in between to bridge the two. Also, while I love Personal Jesus, the acoustic version would have worked MUCH better for this.

Other than that, no complaints here. There isn't any other track that could close it like When The Levee Breaks, perhaps my all-time favorite Zep song. This was a real treat to listen to...

Thanks for the feedback, Phanan. You know, I debated between the album and acoustic versions of Personal Jesus until the very last moment. I was really torn between the two. Also, if you liked the JPJ track, definitely check out Zooma. It has several more raw tracks like that on it.

Reggo - Well I didn't hate your list. I thought I might but I didn't. I don't think it had great flow or momentum, which would have made me enjoy it more given the subject matter, but maybe that was just me. No songs really stood out, I won't go back to most of them. Mainly liked the ones I'd already heard, Rollin in the Deep and The Chain. Would be good if there was a female artist like Aretha Franklin around today.

Phanan - didn't enjoy your list as much as I hoped. There were a lot of good songs, and I didn't even notice the transitions, that's how good the flow was... but just a lot of was songs that while they are by no means bad in any way, they just don't capture my attention enough. I don't feel an urge to go back to them. Certainly didn't hate it though, and there were a number of songs I liked. 4th of July was pretty great. That Bob Seger track was very different to what I know of his work. I had a major lol at the T-Rex song - it's got the exact same riff as the one in Get It On!

Joey - Rather enjoyed yours! I find myself enjoying a lot of songs by artists that have done little for me in the past. The Elbow song for example. Loved, loved, loved the PJ Harvey song (I'm the only person on Earth not to like her new one). Flow was pretty great. I Might Be Wrong > Repetition was quite inspired. Good ear. Do You Feel Loved is such a great song. Kim & Jessie was fucking banging, obviously I need to get Saturdays = Youth immediately. All My Friends is All My Friends :heart: Didn't work too well into Depeche Mode though. I think your list is perhaps my favourite so far, maybe behind lemel's. Aside from mine :wink:

I listened to Vlad's playlist during some downtime yesterday with the power outage I had.

The thing I look forward to the most with DI is the discovering of unique music that you would otherwise probably never hear. This playlist was filled with that.

The opening trio was fantastic, from both a song and flow standpoint. Probably the one song that I didn't know that stood out the most overall was the Кино track - awesome in kind of a strange, hypnotic way. And having English speaking bands like Doves and The Verve on there certainly doesn't hurt.

I also really dug the last song, and thought it ended the whole thing on a strong note. I guess a minor quibble would be that you had some time left over to treat us to a couple more unknown Eastern Europe-type songs, but perhaps you didn't want to go overboard with it.

Glad you did this. This was great to listen to. Looking forward to your contributions in DI9 where you can really stretch things out...

vlad! your list was fucking shit! i hated every second of it! just a bunch of stupid fucking eastern europeans wailing shit i can't understand. i don't know why i even bother with this shithouse football team

no seriously. it was pretty good. i'll be honest and say i'm not gonna come back to any of the Russian songs. the flow was pretty great, particularly for a first time out. the Doves song was pretty good, i liked the horns at the end of the second last song, and the last song was real nice.

I could've done that but then people would most likely die from the lack of the English language, so I had to keep a good balance. :laugh:

But you watch out in the next DI. :tongue:

Haha, I was just joking Vladders :).

Cobbler, I have no idea what your post is referring to >_>

i liked the russian songs. i think the spleen one was the first time i've ever listened to a song in russian where the words are sung slow enough and clearly enough that my hardly-proficient brain can comprehend them.

Yeah, and Vasiliev's vocals are pretty damn clear, compared to other Russian vocalists ...

Back
Top Bottom