Mini Island Master List, Part One - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Thanks vlad! Glad people other than me, lemel and scumbo are digging DJ Shadow! You'd like the album!
I may acquire it sooner or later.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:37 AM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:34 AM
Phanan:

I enjoyed this a lot. Nothing wrong with a straight-up rock list. The Katrina and the Waves song was a treat, and I love Creedence and Springsteen. The only thing that didn't work for me was Todd Rundgren, but only cause I found his voice a little grating tonight. Loved T. Rex to Cheap Trick, that was a great stretch, as was The Mats through Jesus and Mary Chain. Rock This Town has been one of my favorite songs for a long time, but I've never known who played it till now. DI is here to entertain and inform. Fabulous stuff.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:52 AM   #93
The Male

Local Time: 03:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo
The only thing that didn't work for me was Todd Rundgren, but only cause I found his voice a little grating tonight.
Couldn't I Just Tell You might be my favorite song I've already heard from the first 7 playlists. I don't quite know; it's damn close. We'll see how formal listening changes this.

Phanan: review those sweet ambient sounds, dammit.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:07 PM   #94
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
Just got through phanan's playlist.

I really enjoyed the classic rock vibe I got from it, yet the songs weren't obvious classic hits for the most part. The opening trilogy was amazing, especially Springsteen going into Creedence. The glam rock from T.Rex through Cheap Trick was inspired and all gave me new favorites to listen to. I haven't heard much Jesus and Mary Chain but I clearly need to start. Ending the ELO was another great move.

The only downside was that some sections had unmemorable songs to me. They'd barely register as they passed by for me, such as Bob Seger, Joe Jackson, and Stray Cats. Still, you can't go wrong with a classic, straight-up rock playlist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggo View Post
Phanan:

I enjoyed this a lot. Nothing wrong with a straight-up rock list. The Katrina and the Waves song was a treat, and I love Creedence and Springsteen. The only thing that didn't work for me was Todd Rundgren, but only cause I found his voice a little grating tonight. Loved T. Rex to Cheap Trick, that was a great stretch, as was The Mats through Jesus and Mary Chain. Rock This Town has been one of my favorite songs for a long time, but I've never known who played it till now. DI is here to entertain and inform. Fabulous stuff.
Appreciate the feedback, glad you both liked most of it.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:24 PM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Phanan: review those sweet ambient sounds, dammit.
Heh, sorry for the delay. I usually listen to each playlist while I'm at work - it helps get me through the day and makes it go by faster. And this was the approach with your playlist at first, but after the first few selections, I stopped. I was getting interrupted more than usual at work, and this is the type of playlist that demands the listener to hear it straight through without any breaks if possible (whereas a playlist like mine is easy to stop and start). So I waited until later in the evening when I could just lay down, slip the earphones on, and soak it all up. Glad I did, it was damn near perfect that way. Loved how it started with Aphex Twin, how it slowly builds up from the beginning, and then moves effortlessly into the next track, which I hadn't heard before, so imagine my surprise when I hear Panda Bear come out of nowhere. Also liked the Tortoise track, which was new to me. The only song I didn't care for was the last one, but this shouldn't come as a shock, because I just can't stand Björk.

The transitions were top notch as usual - I think the only one that didn't work was Tortoise into Massive Attack due to the cutoff, but even that wasn't that bad. It's also cool how such a diverse group of acts, ranging from Japan to Radiohead to Brian Eno, can find a common ambient ground. I liked the music, but liked the choices you made and how it was put together even more.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

And iyup, I attempted to download your playlist again, and I got the same error - the decompression failed. If you are still having trouble with mine, it seems that we'll have to do a second upload for each other.

Reggo's, however, downloaded just fine, so that will be up next.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #97
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
And iyup, I attempted to download your playlist again, and I got the same error - the decompression failed. If you are still having trouble with mine, it seems that we'll have to do a second upload for each other.
How strange. I will re-up mine and send you a new link by Monday. I was not able to get yours to work, either, but I did manage to find all the tracks, mostly through Youtube. I thought that the concept was fresh and the list moved briskly. The tracks were well-sequenced and generally concise, so, even when a band turned up that I do not really like, such as Cheap Trick, the next song arrived quickly and recaptured my attention.

I loved the inclusion of CCR and Bob Seger, two classic acts for whom I have long had an affinity. They both remind me of special people from my past. There were also a few great surprises, such as House of Love and T. Rex. I had never heard a song that worked for me from the latter until now. As a whole, this was far different from your last entry, but it was executed just as deftly. That breadth of knowledge is really impressive to me.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:51 PM   #98
Blue Crack Addict

I'll go ahead and send you a new link tonight. It's a better listen that way.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:45 PM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

I listened to Reggo's list today, and I really liked it. Quite a few songs on here I dig, and while I don't think some songs went well together, I actually think it's better that way considering the subject matter. It's all over the place, as it should be. It's a nice, big Fuck You (surprised that didn't pop up here actually), and you are letting your heart do the talking, so you're not going to give a shit how it comes out, as long as it comes out. I do think it could have ended better, but it started off great. I also have a strong dislike for My Chemical Romance and most Glee stuff. But I pretty much enjoyed everything else.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks, phanan.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:33 AM   #101
45:33

Local Time: 10:34 PM
Finally finished a list! Iyup. I did enjoy it however I have to say blues and blues rock is far from my favourite genre. I think a lot of the songs tend to sound quite similar, whether it's the chord progression (Seamus is another song that describes what I'm talking about) or what, I'm not sure, I know nothing about playing music. And the lyrics can be simple and repetitive. But there were plenty of songs I enjoyed. Led Zep obviously, Nosumi Blues, Stones, Doors, Boss, and the flow was quite impeccable. A great job, just not particularly to my tastes.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:05 PM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
Finally finished a list! Iyup. I did enjoy it however I have to say blues and blues rock is far from my favourite genre. I think a lot of the songs tend to sound quite similar, whether it's the chord progression (Seamus is another song that describes what I'm talking about) or what, I'm not sure, I know nothing about playing music. And the lyrics can be simple and repetitive. But there were plenty of songs I enjoyed. Led Zep obviously, Nosumi Blues, Stones, Doors, Boss, and the flow was quite impeccable. A great job, just not particularly to my tastes.
Thanks for the feedback, Cobbler. The danger with creating a genre-driven list is that you risk alienating some listeners, but I am glad that you found some things to like in there. I think that my impetus in creating this one was to show that I do enjoy music outside of the morose, existentially angst-ridden stuff that I usually promote.
Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 PM   #103

I kept thinking to myself, "he must have used Street Spirit as a hidden track somewhere..."
Old 08-10-2011, 12:10 AM   #104

Thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed your list, lemonmelon. Loved nearly every track... though I wish that Pantha du Prince track continued in the dark, glitchy vein of its first half. (Preferred the dark to the uptempo). Highlights that I didn't already know were El Toro, In Sarah..., and Hyperballad. Transitions and flow* were great, with In Sarah... into Mezzanine being positively eargasmic. Will be hard to top (though I'm sure no one will be surprised if Cass' list is my #1).
Old 08-10-2011, 03:18 AM   #105

Downloading reggo's and vlad's lists (not having any trouble so far, what's people's problem with rapidshare?)