Mini Island Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, had a feeling the White Rabbit cover would be a love it or hate it type of song. :wink:

I tried with the original but the flow didn't work nearly as well. I hope it doesn't ruin the rest for you!

It was just fine, Joey. I would have switched around a couple of songs (Fiona Apple and PJ Harvey would have been nice together; I wasn't a huge fan of Doves separating them, and I think Do You Feel Loved would have fit in better next to I Might Be Wrong rather than the extremely bright REM track), and I'm a little disappointed with the shortness of the list, especially knowing you used an edit of Enjoy The Silence. On the other hand, I loved just about every song on it, so I suppose I can't complain. Very fun listen for me.

I pretty much agree with Travis, while there were a few questionable decisions flow wise, the very very odd choice in "White Rabbit" selection, and all that jazz, the songs themselves were great, and I generally enjoyed very much.

shit, i think i forgot joey's list. shame. will fix this when i get home.

El cobblerino is up next, and hopefully I'll fit in Vlad's as well, and then be ready for the new batch! :hyper:

So far, in response to the questions posed in your writeup:

1) I can't say I'm a huge fan of that Flying Lotus song, but I definitely can hear it as something you would absolutely love, and clearly you do :).

2) "Someone Great" is an amazing song, and I realized the other day that I haven't heard "All My Friends" in sometime, but I would probably still say "Someone Great"'s better. As for playing it in clubs, I don't know that it would be a failure, but it would probably need to be remixed with more frenetic beats, I think that was the point you were getting at.

Well, COBL, I'm not sure what to think of the list. I didn't feel like there were many individual songs I liked, but the atmosphere was really stellar, and found myself have a great time listening anyways. Kind of reminds me of Reggo's list from last time around.

Big complaint though in that transition into Outkast, but it was necessary to allow the rest of the list to work.

I listened to some of Cobbler's list while Ash did, and I thought it was great, although the transition into Outkast was pretty crap. Otherwise, it was just fine in that regard, and I liked just about every song.

I don't like Life In A Glass House though. Never have, never will.

So far, in response to the questions posed in your writeup:

1) I can't say I'm a huge fan of that Flying Lotus song, but I definitely can hear it as something you would absolutely love, and clearly you do :).

2) "Someone Great" is an amazing song, and I realized the other day that I haven't heard "All My Friends" in sometime, but I would probably still say "Someone Great"'s better. As for playing it in clubs, I don't know that it would be a failure, but it would probably need to be remixed with more frenetic beats, I think that was the point you were getting at.

Haha thanks :) Exactly why it's on there! And yeah... I think you could drop the beat, but not an extended portion. Would have been cool if you went through all 14 tracks like this :crack: :lol:

Big complaint though in that transition into Outkast, but it was necessary to allow the rest of the list to work.

although the transition into Outkast was pretty crap.

Damn I was very proud of that transition!! I thought it was most clever. :lol:

I was going to go through the whole thing like that, but then I saw you sort of stopped asking questions, so I didn't have much of a prompt :lol:

Finishing up this round of reviews:

Joey's list held true to his theme and was laden with great songs. At first, I thought that the tempo was a bit too constant throughout, but I then realized that driving at night on a freeway does indeed feel that way: lane markers, road signs, and other headlights pass at a regular pace. I enjoyed the track from Elbow, which is a band that I have been meaning to explore, and the inclusion of Enjoy the Silence definitely speaks to my love of DM. I have always felt, though, that Enjoy the Silence is a track that should kick a playlist into high gear, much as it does on Violator, rather than end it. I thought that this was an enjoyable list, perhaps a bit safe in terms of song selection, but ultimately well-executed around an intriguing concept.

Vlad's list is a certainly a unique entry to the DI canon. I was happy to get a taste of the rock/post-rock scene in Russia and Eastern Europe, and the tracks from Anglophone bands did a nice job of injecting familiarity into the playlist at the right times. The whole thing flowed smoothly as well. It was a worthwhile listen.

Vlad's list is a certainly a unique entry to the DI canon. I was happy to get a taste of the rock/post-rock scene in Russia and Eastern Europe, and the tracks from Anglophone bands did a nice job of injecting familiarity into the playlist at the right times. The whole thing flowed smoothly as well. It was a worthwhile listen.

Thanks iYup. :up: For the future DI, I do plan to add more of the EE music scene (and including the artists already used). Out of curiousity, which non-Anglophone track did you like the most? Genuinely interested to hear your thoughts, if possible.

Listened to cobbler's list today, and really liked it. I thought as far as transitions and flow go, this was your best yet. And unlike others, I thought Cornelius>Outkast worked well.

The opening track from Flying Lotus was ok, probably the one thing I didn't care too much for on here. Deadmau5 was fantastic - never heard that before. Not as keen with Destroyer as the rest of this board, but it wasn't too bad here. The twofer of Miles and Waits at the end was sublime, although the volume for Miles was a bit too high - not sure where you got that rip...

But again, I really liked this. High marks from me.

Thanks iYup. :up: For the future DI, I do plan to add more of the EE music scene (and including the artists already used). Out of curiousity, which non-Anglophone track did you like the most? Genuinely interested to hear your thoughts, if possible.

I will go back through and listen to the individual tracks. I was not looking at the names while I listened to it, unfortunately.

Phanan, were you able to find a way to access mine? I suppose that I could send you the individual tracks via e-mail if all else fails.

cobl04 said:
Damn I was very proud of that transition!! I thought it was most clever. :lol:

of course lm hated it. It was one of the things I liked best on your list.

Listened to cobbler's list today, and really liked it. I thought as far as transitions and flow go, this was your best yet. And unlike others, I thought Cornelius>Outkast worked well.

The opening track from Flying Lotus was ok, probably the one thing I didn't care too much for on here. Deadmau5 was fantastic - never heard that before. Not as keen with Destroyer as the rest of this board, but it wasn't too bad here. The twofer of Miles and Waits at the end was sublime, although the volume for Miles was a bit too high - not sure where you got that rip...

But again, I really liked this. High marks from me.

Thanks a lot mate :up: yeah, I too noticed the disparity between Miles & Waits... I illegally downloaded Kind of Blue. I want to buy it but I don't know which goddam copy to get since there's about 100 reissues.

Just finished Vlad's playlist. Probably one of the oddest/original lists I've ever seen. I hardly knew any of the band's but there were some great discoveries there! I enjoyed the flow from Doves into Manic Street Preachers. It almost felt like they could be from the same album. I really enjoyed the third song as well. If there was a downside, it's that some of the transitions were off. But still, a really likable playlist.

I illegally downloaded Kind of Blue. I want to buy it but I don't know which goddam copy to get since there's about 100 reissues.

There is a recent "legacy edition" two-disc reissue that both sounds great and contains some killer live performances and a handful of very strong cuts from 1958. I would recommend that one, but the Columbia reissue from the mid-90s will also get the job done. You should be able to find it used for a few dollars; most second-hand stores here have many copies of it.

Just finished Vlad's playlist. Probably one of the oddest/original lists I've ever seen. I hardly knew any of the band's but there were some great discoveries there! I enjoyed the flow from Doves into Manic Street Preachers. It almost felt like they could be from the same album. I really enjoyed the third song as well. If there was a downside, it's that some of the transitions were off. But still, a really likable playlist.

Thanks, I'll have to admit that I found the transition between track 7 and 8 a bit iffy.

Well, Vlad, I definitely enjoyed that. I think I have a bit better of an idea of where your tastes lie now, and am a little confused why your list ended so soon, but the flow was great, and aside from a song or two (Cancer and I think Деньги на ветер) I loved the songs. "Szklany człowiek" and "747" were the best and that MSP song was pretty great too.

OK, I'm in on this after all, and I have begun with LM.

Traviud, your sense of cohesion and flow is impeccable. I'm not sure you can actually put a foot wrong in that regard. I was perhaps a little concerned midway through that the list was settling into a consistent rut stylewise, but you developed it well and covered a fair bit of ground in the end. Perhaps the only track that I felt dropped the ball was that by Burial, otherwise I have no gripes of note. No doubt this list will rate well for me when it's all said and done.

Second for me is Joey's list. It proved to be a bit better than it looked on paper, with the songs by the bands I'm utterly disinterested in proving to not be too bad (e.g. Arcade Fire, TV On The Radio). I was also a bit surprised by the REM pick, but it worked really well in its spot on the list ... I'm sure there are a couple of better REM songs in their catalogue that would have worked just as well, but I'm not complaining. Really the only transition that I thought was totally clunky was U2 to Oh Land. And contrary to what some folk said earlier, I think Enjoy The Silence was a good closer.

Well, Vlad, I definitely enjoyed that. I think I have a bit better of an idea of where your tastes lie now, and am a little confused why your list ended so soon, but the flow was great, and aside from a song or two (Cancer and I think Деньги на ветер) I loved the songs. "Szklany człowiek" and "747" were the best and that MSP song was pretty great too.

Awesome, thanks. I didn't really want to let the playlist drag on for that long, I thought an hour was enough but I'm very glad you enjoyed that. I have been pleasantly surprised by the feedback, in all honesty. Obviously, I would very much recommend you to listen to the works of the artists of the two songs you liked the best. :)

i guess i pretty much agree with axver on joey's playlist. pleasant tunes (my version of night-time driving music is a little darker, but i could see this working very nicely theme-wise), a lot of bands i'm not overly interested in listening to, but overall enjoyable. but outside of "criminal," there isn't anything i really hate on there. i had no problems with the cover of "white rabbit."

i'm not sure how i never knew "synchronicity II" was the police. i don't know how many times i've heard that, but never felt compelled to find out whose song it was. now i know.

oh, and i really, really liked the m83 song.

Last from this group for me was Vlad.

This was an interesting list, to be sure. Is Кукушка about a cat? I swear I heard them say the Russian word for "cat" a couple of times at the beginning. :shrug: I really enjoyed this, even if I didn't understand the lyrics. Musically, it all worked very well. The Mansun song felt like three separate songs built into one track. And, OK, The Verve isn't all Bittersweet Symphony, but that song still sucks. Bittersweet Symphony, not the one you used. Well done for your first time out, малютка.

Last from this group for me was Vlad.

This was an interesting list, to be sure. Is Кукушка about a cat? I swear I heard them say the Russian word for "cat" a couple of times at the beginning. :shrug: I really enjoyed this, even if I didn't understand the lyrics. Musically, it all worked very well. The Mansun song felt like three separate songs built into one track. And, OK, The Verve isn't all Bittersweet Symphony, but that song still sucks. Bittersweet Symphony, not the one you used. Well done for your first time out, малютка.

:D Кукушка means "Cuckoo".

Back
Top Bottom