Mini Island Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Listened to Joey's list earlier today (or was it yesterday?), and I must say, it has been my favourite out of the three playlists I've listened to thus far. Of course, I love Elbow, so that was a very good start. I'm not really a fan of Arcade Fire nor The National (lolcomeatme) so I found myself disinterested in those tracks. The run from track 5 to I Might Be Wrong was really good, no, wait, it was excellent. I definitely loved that. With the remaining tracks, I found DYFL, Enjoy the Silence and the M83 to be the highlights.

Overall, a great list that I enjoyed to a high degree.

I too listened to Joey's recently, and I thought it was very strong throughout. Great choice starting off with Station Approach, and there really wasn't a weak link that I could find. Perhaps the only thing that would've worked better was having the "Enjoy the silence..." at the end of that song like it is on the album. I realize the single version omits it, but the video version keeps it. That would've been cool.

But great job!

Glad to hear you both liked it! I really love that Elbow album. In fact, Leaders of the Free World is tied with Build a Rocket Boys! for my favorite album by them.

As for "Enjoy the Silence," I wanted to use the album version, but it's attached to a hidden track that would have been immensely difficult to separate. So I went with the single, favoring the fade out over a sloppy cut to end it.

Thanks for the compliments on the list! I hope to get to cobl04's list in the next couple days.

I'm listening to Joey's tonight as well. Hopefully Spotify cooperates, though most of his I could pull from my own iTunes.

And finished. Very, very cool. Full of artists I love, had a few new ones that intrigued me. M83 and TV On The Radio, for instance. I think you may have found the one Police song I can stand, Joey. And that version of White Rabbit was superb. And I'm with Phanan, Depeche Mode to end it was spot-on.

On to the next. Friggin' Cobbler.

All of iYup's tracks are available on Grooveshark. You don't have to download anything and it's free. And no commercials. basically what I'm saying is Grooveshark > spotify.

Friggin' Cobbler's list:

You know, I went into it expecting to hate it, but I didn't.

Started off great, that deadmau5 track was oddly satisfying for some reason. James Blake, Hot Chip, Bowie all great. I giggled all through Drop cause I was reading Cracked and half that site is poop jokes and my brain drew a parallel. Sorry. I'm a fifth grader. Didn't really care for Outkast (are you surprised?) but Kid Cudi had a good solid beat, and DJ Shadow was... I can't even describe. Jazz and hip-hop fused into something incredible. Wow. Just wow. Destroyer was epic. The final trifecta of Radiohead, Miles Davis, and Tom Waits was a powerhouse.

Well done, Cobbler.

Next is Vlad's, which I think I'm going to have to actually download.

Ahh thanks reggo :up: really glad to hear you enjoyed it :) again, that DJ Shadow album, Endtroducing, is really worth checking out, and yes, jazz and hip-hop fused together is one of life's greatest things.

Cheers for the kind comments, you may now go back to hatin'

I think I will give it a listen.

I don't hate you, Cobblerino.

Just Phanan's. I could listen to all of these in one day due to the shorter length, but I have another week or so before the next thread, so I'll spread it out and keep it to one a day.

Guess iYup will be next.

I believe I downloaded joey's, reggo's and vlad's lists, so I'll have thoughts up soon.

I am absolutely overjoyed by the love for the DJ Shadow tracks (yours and mine). It's a phenomenal album.

I'm thrilled that Aphex Twin got so much love opening my list.

Definitely confirms my feelings that it's usually wise to open a list with a song that opens the album on which it originated: 1) the artist usually places it there because they feel it functions well for that purpose, 2) if people are familiar with the album, the placement will feel natural to them.

i still haven't gotten around to LM's list, but it will get love from me as well. because it is awesome.

i think iyup's playlist will be the list to top, for me. as much bitching as i do about being sick of hearing bands try to sound like zeppelin (which is generally synonymous with blues-based rock n roll in my mind), i've got a soft spot for it. and the best part is that while yes, that's the general, prevailing sound, the playlist as a whole does some other things. the alison kraus song (most ironically), along with springsteen, really don't hold the same genre sound as the beginning (or even the end) of the playlist kind of predicts. i enjoyed it a lot. probably the only thing i didn't like was the cover of "stop breaking down." jack white always has a way of reminding me how much i hate him. individual highlights: muddy watters, iggy pop, the doors, john paul jones. and actually, i liked the kills song too.

finished cobbler's list. like i said, the deadmau5 track was enjoyable. and that's one of the few LCD tunes i don't hate. the bowie song comes from low, so i can't hate on that. and no one in their right mind hates on tom waits or miles davis. song-wise i liked a solid half of this, which is probably more than you expected from me. there wasn't anything i liked about the cornelius through destroyer segment, however the bowie/cornelius/outkast transition was impeccable. the overall flow worked pretty well, but that part in particular.

the hot chip song sounds like the postal service.

i think i listened to LM's list first in the first batch from the last game. last up this time. the the only thing i really like about ambient electronic stuff is that it all blends together, and with few exceptions ("xtal" being one of about 3 aphex twin tracks i've ever been able to recognize as anything i've heard before), it doesn't do much for me other than make a pretty pleasant background soundtrack for killing stuff on the computer. since it all seems to sound the same to me, i can't really comment on flow. it must flow great since i can never tell when something has ended and something else has begun. sarcasm aside, i enjoyed the beginning quite a bit--up until the japan track. i liked it better when there were no vocals. the vocals kind of called attention to what i had been enjoying as background sounds while playing video games, and pretty much soured me against the rest of the playlist. little repetitive things started to stand out, and +6 minutes started to seem like a really long time to wait before getting to something else (even though the voices went away again for a while). but then again, small doses are the only way i've ever been able to take electronic/ambient stuff, anyway.

Cobl04's list was absolutely brilliant. I love everything on Cosmogramma so the Flying Lotus track was a great start. "Someone Great" is excellent no matter where you hear it. James Blake is someone I need to hear more of. Loved that song. David Bowie into Cornelius into Outkast had perfect flow. All the little touches of jazz and blues made the ending trio work, despite the wildly different genres. An incredible playlist that will get high marks from me!

finished cobbler's list. like i said, the deadmau5 track was enjoyable. and that's one of the few LCD tunes i don't hate. the bowie song comes from low, so i can't hate on that. and no one in their right mind hates on tom waits or miles davis. song-wise i liked a solid half of this, which is probably more than you expected from me. there wasn't anything i liked about the cornelius through destroyer segment, however the bowie/cornelius/outkast transition was impeccable. the overall flow worked pretty well, but that part in particular.

the hot chip song sounds like the postal service.

I am really thrilled you found some stuff outside of Bowie, Waits and Miles to like :)

Cobl04's list was absolutely brilliant. I love everything on Cosmogramma so the Flying Lotus track was a great start. "Someone Great" is excellent no matter where you hear it. James Blake is someone I need to hear more of. Loved that song. David Bowie into Cornelius into Outkast had perfect flow. All the little touches of jazz and blues made the ending trio work, despite the wildly different genres. An incredible playlist that will get high marks from me!

Thanks heaps man!! Glad you enjoyed it so much.

As I'm aiming to launch the second thread sometime next week, I'll need any remaining lists to be submitted by Monday. Thanks.

It's sitting here in a folder on the desktop, just need to not be lazy and send it. Thank God I can PM again.

or Thank Reggo...just go ahead and do both.

It's sitting here in a folder on the desktop, just need to not be lazy and send it. Thank God I can PM again.

or Thank Reggo...just go ahead and do both.

Reggo = God! *maniacal Sideshow Bob laughter*

...I'm sorry. I'll go stand in the corner.

Making my way to Joey's list and oh was that transition between Arcade Fire and The National sexy.

I'm sort of listening too, and I want to punch either Joey or whoever recorded that hideous version of White Rabbit. I don't want to assign even one neuron to seeing who did.

Back
Top Bottom