Mini Island Master List, Part One

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vlad's next. highlights were "nevskii prospect" the kino song, although for the most part there wasn't a whole lot i really want to listen to on its own. it did flow well, though. it just all started to blend together. probably the only thing i actively disliked was the saxaphone solo at the end of the b-2.

Ah, thanks. In particular, I'm appreciative of the flow comment as that was probably my main concern going into the competition.

Phanan, I'm afraid that I am receiving an error message when I try to extract your playlist. Strange that we are having the same issue with each other's playlist.

have to admit i had a hard time making it through reggo's list. i'm sure the late* mrbrau would have had a field day with the sausage-fest playlists i come up with, and admittedly there are very few female vocals i do like listening to on a regular basis. so naturally a lot of this is going to be hard to sell me. i couldn't suffer through the entire christina aguilera song, and the scissors sisters' track made me really happy to hear "chain of fools." theme-wise, flow-wise, playlist works very well. song-wise, i am trying to find a better way of saying "oh man (no pun intended), totally not my thing." but honestly, "heartbreaker" sounded positively magical after the nancy sinatra/carrie underwood pair. there were highlights, aside from making me think songs like "heartbreaker" and "chain of fools," which i am ordinarily indifferent toward, were amazing. i kind of dug the last shadow puppets song. and i've read in numerous places around the internet, plus heard people talking about how they cannot seem to escape "rolling in the deep." if it's half as ubiquitous as people seem to say it is, i'm not entirely sure how i've managed to never hear it before this playlist. i suppose that's not true, i guess technically i heard it on whatever glee episode that was, but i don't remember. it was probably one of the songs i fastforwarded through or something. it was ok. it wasn't painful like my chemical romance. and surprisingly enough i don't have as much hate for evanescence as i used to. but that might be because it was sandwiched between mcr and kelly clarkson. i still hate fleetwood mac, but that's completely my own problem (and loss apparently because they're so loved here? i had no idea. always made me want to stick sharpened chopsticks in my ears) and not your playlists. i think rihanna might be everything i despise. is she the umbrella-ella chick? because between that song and "breakin dishes,"...well, see what i said about fleetwood mac. there are other jokes that i could make, but something tells me they'd turn out to be in extremely poor taste--even for my sense of humor. so yeah, like i said, flow-wise, theme-wise, i get what you were doing, and it works. song-wise, there's almost nothing on here i ever need to hear again. well, except for janis joplin, because that song is, of course, awesome. although it makes me wonder, have i ever heard that song without it being coupled with bobby mcgee? i'm not sure. kind of like sgt pepper and with a little help, i don't think i have.

*i know he's not dead, but in internet terms, he might as well be.

IWB's running diary brought to my attention how many quality songs are on Reggo's list, fwiw.

have to admit i had a hard time making it through reggo's list. i'm sure the late* mrbrau would have had a field day with the sausage-fest playlists i come up with, and admittedly there are very few female vocals i do like listening to on a regular basis. so naturally a lot of this is going to be hard to sell me. i couldn't suffer through the entire christina aguilera song, and the scissors sisters' track made me really happy to hear "chain of fools." theme-wise, flow-wise, playlist works very well. song-wise, i am trying to find a better way of saying "oh man (no pun intended), totally not my thing." but honestly, "heartbreaker" sounded positively magical after the nancy sinatra/carrie underwood pair. there were highlights, aside from making me think songs like "heartbreaker" and "chain of fools," which i am ordinarily indifferent toward, were amazing. i kind of dug the last shadow puppets song. and i've read in numerous places around the internet, plus heard people talking about how they cannot seem to escape "rolling in the deep." if it's half as ubiquitous as people seem to say it is, i'm not entirely sure how i've managed to never hear it before this playlist. i suppose that's not true, i guess technically i heard it on whatever glee episode that was, but i don't remember. it was probably one of the songs i fastforwarded through or something. it was ok. it wasn't painful like my chemical romance. and surprisingly enough i don't have as much hate for evanescence as i used to. but that might be because it was sandwiched between mcr and kelly clarkson. i still hate fleetwood mac, but that's completely my own problem (and loss apparently because they're so loved here? i had no idea. always made me want to stick sharpened chopsticks in my ears) and not your playlists. i think rihanna might be everything i despise. is she the umbrella-ella chick? because between that song and "breakin dishes,"...well, see what i said about fleetwood mac. there are other jokes that i could make, but something tells me they'd turn out to be in extremely poor taste--even for my sense of humor. so yeah, like i said, flow-wise, theme-wise, i get what you were doing, and it works. song-wise, there's almost nothing on here i ever need to hear again. well, except for janis joplin, because that song is, of course, awesome. although it makes me wonder, have i ever heard that song without it being coupled with bobby mcgee? i'm not sure. kind of like sgt pepper and with a little help, i don't think i have.

*i know he's not dead, but in internet terms, he might as well be.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't going to be everyone's (if anyone's) thing. But thanks for the feedback.

Yeah, I knew it wasn't going to be everyone's (if anyone's) thing. But thanks for the feedback.

isn't it the rule though that if i like it, no one else does, and if i don't like it, everyone else here loves it?

isn't it the rule though that if i like it, no one else does, and if i don't like it, everyone else here loves it?

That may be kind of a generalization, but I see your point. I didn't do it to win, I did it to get my head in the right place.

That may be kind of a generalization, but I see your point. I didn't do it to win, I did it to get my head in the right place.

:up: ya, and i almost felt like a jerk for hating on it because of that. :uhoh:

:up: ya, and i almost felt like a jerk for hating on it because of that. :uhoh:

Don't. I also only submitted this list cause I had nothing else that was more than two or three songs strung together :lol:

well, i said almost. there's nothing that's ever going to make me not despise beyonce.

i should probably finish listening to cobbler's list. i actually enjoyed the first 3 songs so far, even if parts of do the astral plane irritated me a bit, and the whole thing just made me think "rift. astral. bad" which i suppose is a joke that no one other than me is going to laugh at in this thread, but i found it pretty funny. deadmaus was surprisingly pleasant, although i think we went over that in some random music thread about how i don't really despise non-oontsy techno stuff sometimes (and am pretty psyched LM started his list off with "xtal," because that song...er, piece of music...fuck it, i am calling it a song..is badass). and that lcd song is one of 2 or 3 lcd soundsystem songs that don't annoy me, apparently.

but right now i'm a little enamored with xiu xiu again, and can't be bothered at this time.

that's probably the one i said i liked then. fuckin a, i gotta start writing this shit down.

I have an epic headache tonight. But I need to get started with listening, so I'm gonna put iYup's list on low, put on sunlgasses, and chill.

I have an epic headache tonight. But I need to get started with listening, so I'm gonna put iYup's list on low, put on sunlgasses, and chill.

I'm afraid that mine is not terribly soothing this time around. Apologies for that.

Actually, the drugs have kicked in, so migraine is no longer a worry. So far my review is:

"Oh, my God, iYup. This is amazing." Hopefully I can give a more articulate review when it's finished.

More articulate review:

Absolutely, simply sublime. I have a newfound respect for the blues, now. The groove this list hit is fantastic. Highlights are hard to pick out of something like this, but the three tracks that stood out to me the most were Jimi, Plant and Krauss, and Charles Mingus. There were a couple of transitions that didn't quite work for me, Stones into the White Stripes and the Kills into Depeche Mode, but once the songs got going, the transitions didn't matter. Each song had its own moment and still worked well with the others. The only thing I hate about it is that it's over. And using a Picasso from his Blue Period as your cover art: epic. Awesome.

In short:
OrsonWellesClap.gif

Oh, my God, iYup. That was amazing.

Thanks very much, Reggo. That review is highly flattering. I am glad that you enjoyed it - especially the Mingus track, which I know can be an acquired taste. I just love the manic energy that he brings to his work, and Hog Callin' Blues, I feel, is quintessential in that regard.

I gave your list a listen today as well. I thought that the pacing was excellent. It moved briskly and conveyed a great deal of emotion in a direct, visceral way. I also loved that it incorporated so many genres and eras into a single listening experience. I could feel you working your way through complex feelings as the list progressed, and I am glad that you found it therapeutic - after all, that is what music should be.

It is. I need to get my own copy of the Orson Welles Intense Clap gif.

Thanks very much, Reggo. That review is highly flattering. I am glad that you enjoyed it - especially the Mingus track, which I know can be an acquired taste. I just love the manic energy that he brings to his work, and Hog Callin' Blues, I feel, is quintessential in that regard.

I gave your list a listen today as well. I thought that the pacing was excellent. It moved briskly and conveyed a great deal of emotion in a direct, visceral way. I also loved that it incorporated so many genres and eras into a single listening experience. I could feel you working your way through complex feelings as the list progressed, and I am glad that you found it therapeutic - after all, that is what music should be.
I loved it, it's probably my favourite track on the list.

Why, thank you very much. I was waiting for the first dude review of it and I'm glad you enjoyed it and saw what I was going for. I love a little bit of everything, so I decided to include a little bit of everything in here. Making this list and listening to it repeatedly to make sure that it was just right was the best medicine for getting through that break-up. Also, thanks for not teasing me about the Glee song :lol:

Work's kind of taken over this week, so I haven't gotten much listening in yet. I did find the time to listen to the sweet ambient sounds of LM's playlist at least. I'll try to jot something down about it later today.

Just finished your list, Cobbler. It was a delight. I thought that flow was a bit of an issue on your last entry, but this one was smooth as silk. The transitioning was extremely deft, especially so between Deadmau5 and James Blake, Cornelius and Outkast, and Miles and Tom Waits. You also did a fabulous job of mixing beat-driven tracks with ambient ones, and the inclusion of Mr. Davis will of course meet with great appreciation from me. Very well-done, Sir.

Just got through phanan's playlist.

I really enjoyed the classic rock vibe I got from it, yet the songs weren't obvious classic hits for the most part. The opening trilogy was amazing, especially Springsteen going into Creedence. The glam rock from T.Rex through Cheap Trick was inspired and all gave me new favorites to listen to. I haven't heard much Jesus and Mary Chain but I clearly need to start. Ending the ELO was another great move.

The only downside was that some sections had unmemorable songs to me. They'd barely register as they passed by for me, such as Bob Seger, Joe Jackson, and Stray Cats. Still, you can't go wrong with a classic, straight-up rock playlist!

On the back of LM's list, I picked up some Aphex Twin tonight. Cobbler, I also looked for DJ Shadow, but, alas, it evaded me. The search continues.

Just finished your list, Cobbler. It was a delight. I thought that flow was a bit of an issue on your last entry, but this one was smooth as silk. The transitioning was extremely deft, especially so between Deadmau5 and James Blake, Cornelius and Outkast, and Miles and Tom Waits. You also did a fabulous job of mixing beat-driven tracks with ambient ones, and the inclusion of Mr. Davis will of course meet with great appreciation from me. Very well-done, Sir.

Thanks heaps man! The Deadmau5/James Blake transition was the only one I was a bit iffy about, but the more I listened to it the more I liked it. Really appreciate the comments, they've made me quite :D

On the back of LM's list, I picked up some Aphex Twin tonight. Cobbler, I also looked for DJ Shadow, but, alas, it evaded me. The search continues.

Endtroducing... is a really fantastic album, so keep searching :)

Just listened to Cobblerino's playlist. I enjoyed the opening two tracks, they were both quite good. I found the Deadmau5 track to be much too long and perhaps a bit draining. I wasn't particularly impressed by the Outkast and Kid Cudi tracks, neither interested me a whole lot and I can't really imagine myself listening regularly to that type of music. On the other hand, I found the DJ Shadow and Miles Davis tracks to be very enjoyable. Also, I spent much of the time repeating "Friggin' Cobbler" in a Napoleon Dynamite voice throughout much of the playlist, but I'm not sure how that's relevant to anything.

All in all, a decent playlist.

Back
Top Bottom