Mini Island Master List, Part One - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2011, 01:48 AM   #151
Refugee

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Yeah, had a feeling the White Rabbit cover would be a love it or hate it type of song.

I tried with the original but the flow didn't work nearly as well. I hope it doesn't ruin the rest for you!

Old 08-21-2011, 01:54 AM   #152
The Male

Local Time: 01:41 AM
It was just fine, Joey. I would have switched around a couple of songs (Fiona Apple and PJ Harvey would have been nice together; I wasn't a huge fan of Doves separating them, and I think Do You Feel Loved would have fit in better next to I Might Be Wrong rather than the extremely bright REM track), and I'm a little disappointed with the shortness of the list, especially knowing you used an edit of Enjoy The Silence. On the other hand, I loved just about every song on it, so I suppose I can't complain. Very fun listen for me.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #153
Blue Crack Distributor

I pretty much agree with Travis, while there were a few questionable decisions flow wise, the very very odd choice in "White Rabbit" selection, and all that jazz, the songs themselves were great, and I generally enjoyed very much.
Old 08-21-2011, 02:48 AM   #154
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:41 AM
shit, i think i forgot joey's list. shame. will fix this when i get home.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #155
Blue Crack Distributor

El cobblerino is up next, and hopefully I'll fit in Vlad's as well, and then be ready for the new batch!
Old 08-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #156
Blue Crack Distributor

So far, in response to the questions posed in your writeup:

1) I can't say I'm a huge fan of that Flying Lotus song, but I definitely can hear it as something you would absolutely love, and clearly you do .

2) "Someone Great" is an amazing song, and I realized the other day that I haven't heard "All My Friends" in sometime, but I would probably still say "Someone Great"'s better. As for playing it in clubs, I don't know that it would be a failure, but it would probably need to be remixed with more frenetic beats, I think that was the point you were getting at.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:36 PM   #157
Blue Crack Distributor

Well, COBL, I'm not sure what to think of the list. I didn't feel like there were many individual songs I liked, but the atmosphere was really stellar, and found myself have a great time listening anyways. Kind of reminds me of Reggo's list from last time around.

Big complaint though in that transition into Outkast, but it was necessary to allow the rest of the list to work.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #158
The Male

I listened to some of Cobbler's list while Ash did, and I thought it was great, although the transition into Outkast was pretty crap. Otherwise, it was just fine in that regard, and I liked just about every song.

I don't like Life In A Glass House though. Never have, never will.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:06 PM   #159
45:33

Local Time: 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
So far, in response to the questions posed in your writeup:

1) I can't say I'm a huge fan of that Flying Lotus song, but I definitely can hear it as something you would absolutely love, and clearly you do .

2) "Someone Great" is an amazing song, and I realized the other day that I haven't heard "All My Friends" in sometime, but I would probably still say "Someone Great"'s better. As for playing it in clubs, I don't know that it would be a failure, but it would probably need to be remixed with more frenetic beats, I think that was the point you were getting at.
Haha thanks Exactly why it's on there! And yeah... I think you could drop the beat, but not an extended portion. Would have been cool if you went through all 14 tracks like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Big complaint though in that transition into Outkast, but it was necessary to allow the rest of the list to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
although the transition into Outkast was pretty crap.
Damn I was very proud of that transition!! I thought it was most clever.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #160
Blue Crack Distributor

I was going to go through the whole thing like that, but then I saw you sort of stopped asking questions, so I didn't have much of a prompt
Old 08-22-2011, 12:17 AM   #161
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Finishing up this round of reviews:

Joey's list held true to his theme and was laden with great songs. At first, I thought that the tempo was a bit too constant throughout, but I then realized that driving at night on a freeway does indeed feel that way: lane markers, road signs, and other headlights pass at a regular pace. I enjoyed the track from Elbow, which is a band that I have been meaning to explore, and the inclusion of Enjoy the Silence definitely speaks to my love of DM. I have always felt, though, that Enjoy the Silence is a track that should kick a playlist into high gear, much as it does on Violator, rather than end it. I thought that this was an enjoyable list, perhaps a bit safe in terms of song selection, but ultimately well-executed around an intriguing concept.

Vlad's list is a certainly a unique entry to the DI canon. I was happy to get a taste of the rock/post-rock scene in Russia and Eastern Europe, and the tracks from Anglophone bands did a nice job of injecting familiarity into the playlist at the right times. The whole thing flowed smoothly as well. It was a worthwhile listen.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #162
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Vlad's list is a certainly a unique entry to the DI canon. I was happy to get a taste of the rock/post-rock scene in Russia and Eastern Europe, and the tracks from Anglophone bands did a nice job of injecting familiarity into the playlist at the right times. The whole thing flowed smoothly as well. It was a worthwhile listen.
Thanks iYup. For the future DI, I do plan to add more of the EE music scene (and including the artists already used). Out of curiousity, which non-Anglophone track did you like the most? Genuinely interested to hear your thoughts, if possible.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #163
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:41 AM
Listened to cobbler's list today, and really liked it. I thought as far as transitions and flow go, this was your best yet. And unlike others, I thought Cornelius>Outkast worked well.

The opening track from Flying Lotus was ok, probably the one thing I didn't care too much for on here. Deadmau5 was fantastic - never heard that before. Not as keen with Destroyer as the rest of this board, but it wasn't too bad here. The twofer of Miles and Waits at the end was sublime, although the volume for Miles was a bit too high - not sure where you got that rip...

But again, I really liked this. High marks from me.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #164
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad n U 2 View Post
Thanks iYup. For the future DI, I do plan to add more of the EE music scene (and including the artists already used). Out of curiousity, which non-Anglophone track did you like the most? Genuinely interested to hear your thoughts, if possible.
I will go back through and listen to the individual tracks. I was not looking at the names while I listened to it, unfortunately.

Phanan, were you able to find a way to access mine? I suppose that I could send you the individual tracks via e-mail if all else fails.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #165
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04

Damn I was very proud of that transition!! I thought it was most clever.

of course lm hated it. It was one of the things I liked best on your list.