Mini Island Master List, Part One - Page 10 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2011, 02:01 AM   #136
45:33

Local Time: 01:53 AM
I believe I downloaded joey's, reggo's and vlad's lists, so I'll have thoughts up soon.

I am absolutely overjoyed by the love for the DJ Shadow tracks (yours and mine). It's a phenomenal album.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:05 AM   #137
The Male

Local Time: 06:53 AM
I'm thrilled that Aphex Twin got so much love opening my list.

Definitely confirms my feelings that it's usually wise to open a list with a song that opens the album on which it originated: 1) the artist usually places it there because they feel it functions well for that purpose, 2) if people are familiar with the album, the placement will feel natural to them.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #138
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:53 AM
It certainly functioned well starting off your list, definitely.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:27 AM   #139
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:53 AM
i still haven't gotten around to LM's list, but it will get love from me as well. because it is awesome.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #140
Blue Crack Supplier

i think iyup's playlist will be the list to top, for me. as much bitching as i do about being sick of hearing bands try to sound like zeppelin (which is generally synonymous with blues-based rock n roll in my mind), i've got a soft spot for it. and the best part is that while yes, that's the general, prevailing sound, the playlist as a whole does some other things. the alison kraus song (most ironically), along with springsteen, really don't hold the same genre sound as the beginning (or even the end) of the playlist kind of predicts. i enjoyed it a lot. probably the only thing i didn't like was the cover of "stop breaking down." jack white always has a way of reminding me how much i hate him. individual highlights: muddy watters, iggy pop, the doors, john paul jones. and actually, i liked the kills song too.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:52 AM   #141
Blue Crack Supplier

finished cobbler's list. like i said, the deadmau5 track was enjoyable. and that's one of the few LCD tunes i don't hate. the bowie song comes from low, so i can't hate on that. and no one in their right mind hates on tom waits or miles davis. song-wise i liked a solid half of this, which is probably more than you expected from me. there wasn't anything i liked about the cornelius through destroyer segment, however the bowie/cornelius/outkast transition was impeccable. the overall flow worked pretty well, but that part in particular.

the hot chip song sounds like the postal service.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #142
Blue Crack Supplier

i think i listened to LM's list first in the first batch from the last game. last up this time. the the only thing i really like about ambient electronic stuff is that it all blends together, and with few exceptions ("xtal" being one of about 3 aphex twin tracks i've ever been able to recognize as anything i've heard before), it doesn't do much for me other than make a pretty pleasant background soundtrack for killing stuff on the computer. since it all seems to sound the same to me, i can't really comment on flow. it must flow great since i can never tell when something has ended and something else has begun. sarcasm aside, i enjoyed the beginning quite a bit--up until the japan track. i liked it better when there were no vocals. the vocals kind of called attention to what i had been enjoying as background sounds while playing video games, and pretty much soured me against the rest of the playlist. little repetitive things started to stand out, and +6 minutes started to seem like a really long time to wait before getting to something else (even though the voices went away again for a while). but then again, small doses are the only way i've ever been able to take electronic/ambient stuff, anyway.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:07 PM   #143
Refugee

Cobl04's list was absolutely brilliant. I love everything on Cosmogramma so the Flying Lotus track was a great start. "Someone Great" is excellent no matter where you hear it. James Blake is someone I need to hear more of. Loved that song. David Bowie into Cornelius into Outkast had perfect flow. All the little touches of jazz and blues made the ending trio work, despite the wildly different genres. An incredible playlist that will get high marks from me!
Old 08-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #144
Blue Crack Addict

As I'm aiming to launch the second thread sometime next week, I'll need any remaining lists to be submitted by Monday. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:53 PM   #145
45:33

Local Time: 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWasBored View Post
finished cobbler's list. like i said, the deadmau5 track was enjoyable. and that's one of the few LCD tunes i don't hate. the bowie song comes from low, so i can't hate on that. and no one in their right mind hates on tom waits or miles davis. song-wise i liked a solid half of this, which is probably more than you expected from me. there wasn't anything i liked about the cornelius through destroyer segment, however the bowie/cornelius/outkast transition was impeccable. the overall flow worked pretty well, but that part in particular.

the hot chip song sounds like the postal service.
I am really thrilled you found some stuff outside of Bowie, Waits and Miles to like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey788 View Post
Cobl04's list was absolutely brilliant. I love everything on Cosmogramma so the Flying Lotus track was a great start. "Someone Great" is excellent no matter where you hear it. James Blake is someone I need to hear more of. Loved that song. David Bowie into Cornelius into Outkast had perfect flow. All the little touches of jazz and blues made the ending trio work, despite the wildly different genres. An incredible playlist that will get high marks from me!
Thanks heaps man!! Glad you enjoyed it so much.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:29 PM   #146
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
As I'm aiming to launch the second thread sometime next week, I'll need any remaining lists to be submitted by Monday. Thanks.
It's sitting here in a folder on the desktop, just need to not be lazy and send it. Thank God I can PM again.

or Thank Reggo...just go ahead and do both.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #147
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
It's sitting here in a folder on the desktop, just need to not be lazy and send it. Thank God I can PM again.

or Thank Reggo...just go ahead and do both.
Reggo = God! *maniacal Sideshow Bob laughter*

...I'm sorry. I'll go stand in the corner.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:58 PM   #148
Blue Crack Distributor

You stand there, and think about what you've done.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:48 AM   #149
Blue Crack Distributor

Making my way to Joey's list and oh was that transition between Arcade Fire and The National sexy.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #150
The Male

I'm sort of listening too, and I want to punch either Joey or whoever recorded that hideous version of White Rabbit. I don't want to assign even one neuron to seeing who did.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote