Mini David Bowie Survivor: ★ Round Six

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vote for your least favourite tune

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cobl04

45:33
Here we are folks, down to the final three - vote for your least favourite.

Will it be the 10-minute dystopian title track?
The masterpiece single Lazarus?
Or Bowie's last song, a tearjerker that recalls his gorgeous 1977 instrumental A New Career in a New Town?

Poll's open for three days.

UHpHoGH.jpg

Title track for me. It's certainly a phenomenal song and a hell of a mission statement for the album and his mindset (and the era that could have been). But I think the concept is probably a little bit stronger than the song itself. Love the creepy verses and the daylight-breaking-through "something happened on the daaaayyy he died" verses, but I can take or leave the "I'm a black star / I'm not a film star / I'm a star star / I'm not a gangster" parts.

The other two songs are better in my view.

Three great songs remaining, but between the title track and I Can't Give Everything Away, the former is more daring and ultimately sorrowful because of the possibilities it suggested (much like Cobbler noted).

One is breezy and seemingly at peace; the other is a total dirge with a sense of complication and frustration. Blackstar is the more somber and funereal of the two. Don't know how you define "sorrow," but that fits the bill for me.

This is really tough. But I'm going to have to vote out I Can't Give everything Away. I absolutely adore these three songs, but Blackstar includes everything I love about Bowie. Not only does it have a tragic element, but it's also weird, off-putting, cocky and playful. All those characteristics shouldn't work together in one song, but it does and that's what gives it an edge for me.

One is breezy and seemingly at peace; the other is a total dirge with a sense of complication and frustration. Blackstar is the more somber and funereal of the two. Don't know how you define "sorrow," but that fits the bill for me.

I disagree on it being at peace, even seemingly. I think there's a lot of fear there. I think closing on that number was a brave move, but there's clear regret in that song, it's an apologia to all his fans for never letting on that he was about to leave us. Sorry for being abusive, just having a laugh.

Back
Top Bottom