Miles Davis fans - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 04:48 AM
Miles Davis fans

Any fans here? I would like to buy some of his music and would like to know which album I should start off with.

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
She's the One

Local Time: 01:48 AM
I love Kind of Blue.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:53 PM   #3
The Male

Yeah, Kind of Blue is the Legend of jazz. Everyone owns a copy.

But I personally prefer In A Silent Way. So chilled out and funky.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:48 AM
Bitches Brew is always dandy.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:28 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Just about everything he did until 1975 is absolute gold. As previously mentioned, "Kind of Blue" is nearly perfect - an indisputable classic. In my mind, however, his best period came with the second quintet, between 1965 and 1968. The albums are innovative and push the envelope a bit while retaining their accessibility. Try "E.S.P," "Nefertiti," and "Miles in the Sky."

"On the Corner" and "Get Up With It" are also great if you are looking for a challenging listen.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, I think you have to ease into the fusion stuff. Bitches Brew is my favorite but it's certainly not introductory Miles.

Kind of Blue is the only answer here. If you like that, move backwards and get Birth of the Cool, or move forward cautiously, because it gets fucking OUT THERE. When a guy has two electric guitarists on stage and has his trumpet hooked up to a wah-wah pedal, you are in different territory.

My personal favs also include the aforementioned Nefertiti, In A Silent Way, and then the live in Japan albums Agharta and Pangea.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Awesome. Thanks for the suggestions. I will go with Kind of Blue.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

'Round About Midnight is another album that you might consider in the early stages. In fact, I would recommend that you seek it out next if you end up liking Kind of Blue.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #9
you are what you is

Local Time: 10:48 AM
agreed about Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew
personally also a fan of On the Corner
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 PM   #10
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

My faves are Round About Midnight, In a Silent Way and Kind of Blue....3 way tie. I alternate them and like to listen to them when I go to sleep. Fond memories of Bitches Brew shared with the very special someone who turned me on to Miles definitely involving headphones, and the experience enhanced by illegal substances that shall remain nameless.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

I didn't know where else to post this, but I decided to finally give Miles a shot and listened to Kind of Blue today. Let me just say, that when I was in High School, I played in the jazz band all four years for two reasons and two reasons only 1) I wanted to be the biggest loser in the history of my school, apparently, and be the only person to ever get enough points to letter in band 8 times. I succeeded. 2) I love swing music and there were a handful of songs we'd play that were swing. The main reason I hated jazz band? I don't like Jazz. I just never have. Strange coming from a saxophone player, I know, but as much as I love the instrument, all instruments really, I just could never really get into the music we were playing in jazz band for the most part.

This though, this was beautiful. It was completely cohesive and just flowed oh so sweetly from movement to movement. I'll probably continue to move through his catalog, but if there are other artists who sound like this as well, I want in, if someone (Iron Yuppie >_>) would be willing to suggest more.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
This though, this was beautiful. It was completely cohesive and just flowed oh so sweetly from movement to movement. I'll probably continue to move through his catalog, but if there are other artists who sound like this as well, I want in, if someone (Iron Yuppie >_>) would be willing to suggest more.
Ha, I can certainly suggest more. The best place to start is with the people who played alongside Miles on Kind of Blue.

There is a compilation called Sides of Blue that contains tracks from the sidemen. It seems like a great place to start.

In terms of LPs, Wynton Kelly's Kelly Blue, John Coltrane's Blue Train, Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else, and basically anything from Bill Evans are also similar to Kind of Blue.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I would go about in chronological order with Miles (although Kind of Blue may be indeed the best place to start).

The ones I'd definitely recommend

Birth of the Cool
'Round About Midnight
Sketches of Spain
Nefertiti
In a Silent Way
Bitches Brew
(his masterpiece, in my opinion)
A Tribute to Jack Johnson

And after that I guess you can venture into some of his fusion work.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Ha, I can certainly suggest more. The best place to start is with the people who played alongside Miles on Kind of Blue.

There is a compilation called Sides of Blue that contains tracks from the sidemen. It seems like a great place to start.

In terms of LPs, Wynton Kelly's Kelly Blue, John Coltrane's Blue Train, Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else, and basically anything from Bill Evans are also similar to Kind of Blue.
Awesome, awesome thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gump View Post
A Tribute to Jack Johnson
God, I guess it's just a sign of what generation I am apart of because I'm sure you know who's face is running through my head right now at the title of this album, right, shamed though i am to say so?

But thank you for the order recommendation. I'm definitely going to delve further into all of this. It's kind of like a switch just got flipped over and I finally "get it" or something.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Haha, that Jack Johnson probably hadn't been born by that time! See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Johnson_(boxer)

You may also want to check some of Bill Evans' albums (he played piano in Kind of Blue and is one of my favorite pianists this side of Thelonious Monk. Waltz for Debby is a good place to start, I think.

Tags
miles davis