Miles Davis fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, Kind of Blue is the Legend of jazz. Everyone owns a copy.

But I personally prefer In A Silent Way. :drool: So chilled out and funky.

Just about everything he did until 1975 is absolute gold. As previously mentioned, "Kind of Blue" is nearly perfect - an indisputable classic. In my mind, however, his best period came with the second quintet, between 1965 and 1968. The albums are innovative and push the envelope a bit while retaining their accessibility. Try "E.S.P," "Nefertiti," and "Miles in the Sky."

"On the Corner" and "Get Up With It" are also great if you are looking for a challenging listen.

Yeah, I think you have to ease into the fusion stuff. Bitches Brew is my favorite but it's certainly not introductory Miles.

Kind of Blue is the only answer here. If you like that, move backwards and get Birth of the Cool, or move forward cautiously, because it gets fucking OUT THERE. When a guy has two electric guitarists on stage and has his trumpet hooked up to a wah-wah pedal, you are in different territory.

My personal favs also include the aforementioned Nefertiti, In A Silent Way, and then the live in Japan albums Agharta and Pangea.

'Round About Midnight is another album that you might consider in the early stages. In fact, I would recommend that you seek it out next if you end up liking Kind of Blue.

agreed about Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew
personally also a fan of On the Corner

My faves are Round About Midnight, In a Silent Way and Kind of Blue....3 way tie. I alternate them and like to listen to them when I go to sleep. Fond memories of Bitches Brew shared with the very special someone who turned me on to Miles definitely involving headphones, and the experience enhanced by illegal substances that shall remain nameless. :heart:

I didn't know where else to post this, but I decided to finally give Miles a shot and listened to Kind of Blue today. Let me just say, that when I was in High School, I played in the jazz band all four years for two reasons and two reasons only 1) I wanted to be the biggest loser in the history of my school, apparently, and be the only person to ever get enough points to letter in band 8 times. I succeeded. 2) I love swing music and there were a handful of songs we'd play that were swing. The main reason I hated jazz band? I don't like Jazz. I just never have. Strange coming from a saxophone player, I know, but as much as I love the instrument, all instruments really, I just could never really get into the music we were playing in jazz band for the most part.

This though, this was beautiful. It was completely cohesive and just flowed oh so sweetly from movement to movement. I'll probably continue to move through his catalog, but if there are other artists who sound like this as well, I want in, if someone (Iron Yuppie >_>) would be willing to suggest more.

This though, this was beautiful. It was completely cohesive and just flowed oh so sweetly from movement to movement. I'll probably continue to move through his catalog, but if there are other artists who sound like this as well, I want in, if someone (Iron Yuppie >_>) would be willing to suggest more.

Ha, I can certainly suggest more. The best place to start is with the people who played alongside Miles on Kind of Blue.

There is a compilation called Sides of Blue that contains tracks from the sidemen. It seems like a great place to start.

In terms of LPs, Wynton Kelly's Kelly Blue, John Coltrane's Blue Train, Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else, and basically anything from Bill Evans are also similar to Kind of Blue.

I would go about in chronological order with Miles (although Kind of Blue may be indeed the best place to start).

The ones I'd definitely recommend

Birth of the Cool
'Round About Midnight
Sketches of Spain
Nefertiti
In a Silent Way
Bitches Brew
(his masterpiece, in my opinion)
A Tribute to Jack Johnson

And after that I guess you can venture into some of his fusion work.

Ha, I can certainly suggest more. The best place to start is with the people who played alongside Miles on Kind of Blue.

There is a compilation called Sides of Blue that contains tracks from the sidemen. It seems like a great place to start.

In terms of LPs, Wynton Kelly's Kelly Blue, John Coltrane's Blue Train, Cannonball Adderley's Somethin' Else, and basically anything from Bill Evans are also similar to Kind of Blue.

Awesome, awesome thank you.

A Tribute to Jack Johnson

God, I guess it's just a sign of what generation I am apart of because I'm sure you know who's face is running through my head right now at the title of this album, right, shamed though i am to say so?

But thank you for the order recommendation. I'm definitely going to delve further into all of this. It's kind of like a switch just got flipped over and I finally "get it" or something.

Haha, that Jack Johnson probably hadn't been born by that time! See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Johnson_(boxer)

You may also want to check some of Bill Evans' albums (he played piano in Kind of Blue and is one of my favorite pianists this side of Thelonious Monk. Waltz for Debby is a good place to start, I think.

Haha, that Jack Johnson probably hadn't been born by that time! See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Johnson_(boxer)

You may also want to check some of Bill Evans' albums (he played piano in Kind of Blue and is one of my favorite pianists this side of Thelonious Monk. Waltz for Debby is a good place to start, I think.

The worst part is that I knew who the correct Jack Johnson was and still!

Since you and Yup both mentioned him I'll probably start there.

The only Bill Evans I have is Conversations With Myself, which I think has him playing along with two other tracks of himself. Pretty cool.

That's also a nice album as well, I think it was the first solo Bill Evans I heard.

And while we are talking about pianists who played with Miles, I would also mention Keith Jarrett. His Koln Concert may be somewhat overplayed (being one of the best selling jazz albums), but it is still fantastic.

And while we are talking about pianists who played with Miles, I would also mention Keith Jarrett. His Koln Concert may be somewhat overplayed (being one of the best selling jazz albums), but it is still fantastic.

There's also Herbie Hancock and Chick Corea. Miles groomed an incredible amount of jazz greats.

Hancock's Headhunters is one of my favorite jazz albums, period. Really, really funky. I think I used one of the songs in my DI playlist sometime ago.

I am someone who hates most jazz bands (at least at a rudimentary high school or cheap lounge or 80s radio level, but real good jazz is hard to beat.

Kind of Blue is the "one jazz album you need if you don't like jazz" kind of album. It's essential.

That said, also check out Miles Davis' 'Round About Midnight. It's melodic, not too wank-y or challenging, and has a few standards that are really pleasing and not horribly saccharine. Has that classic 50s sound and just feels warm and perfect. Probably some of his more accessible stuff, though his more experimental stuff is great too down the line ('Sorcerer' being my fav).

Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue is a good jazz/blues guitar album to jump over to if you want to take that tack; moods form sombre and late-night to a little more peppy. I hate blues guitar and I like this album, so there you go for some further reading.

Hancock's Headhunters is one of my favorite jazz albums, period. Really, really funky. I think I used one of the songs in my DI playlist sometime ago.

I had Watermelon Man (Headhunters version) on my DI list this time until the last second, when I decided to put a Wayne Shorter track on there instead. Yeah, Headhunters is fabulous, as is a great deal of Herbie's catalogue.

i hope this thread stays around... i'm going to start listening to some jazz once DI is over.

i heard Part II B, i think it's called, through liamcool's last DI list, and loved it.

It's a masterpiece. Definitely a must for people who want to venture into funk outside of Parliament/Funkadelic/Old Gregg.

Can I just take this moment to say I never found Old Gregg even slightly funny? Very annoying cos all my friends saw it and started quoting it ad nauseam.

Can I just take this moment to say I never found Old Gregg even slightly funny? Very annoying cos all my friends saw it and started quoting it ad nauseam.

I'll deal with you the way I dealt with Curly Jefferson, friggin Cobbler.

Do you REAAAALLLLY wanna know?

realllllllly?

reallly reallllly?

what is that? i mean, is that from a tv show or something? cos i saw something very similar on tv once at like 4am, same guy, equally unfunny and similar in its jokes. i think it involved pissing all over everyone. and there was a song and dance number at the end i wish i could take back having ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom