Midlake - 'The Courage of Others', February 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Onion just gave the album an A, in case anyone is interested. I've rarely seen them grant that designation.

Never heard of these guys before, so I gave a listen to a bunch of tracks, old and new. Their music is lovely and melancholic but I find their singer kinda uninspiring. He doesn't sound bad or anything, just rather average IMO.

Interesting, this is one of the few bands where I'd say the singer is one of the main reasons I like the band. Generally I don't even notice the vocals.

I like this album...my favorites would be Winter Dies, Rulers Ruling All Things, and The Courage of Others.

btw this is the first time I've heard Midlake. I'll have to go back and listen to The Trials of Van Occupanther that everyone seems to rave about. Are there any others I should check out?

btw this is the first time I've heard Midlake. I'll have to go back and listen to The Trials of Van Occupanther that everyone seems to rave about. Are there any others I should check out?

Sorry, UiU, not sure how I missed this. Their first album, Bamnan and Silvercork, has a few fantastic songs, but the rest is somewhat forgettable to me. There are some people out there who swear by it and their first EP, Milkmaid Grand Army, and say they're still the band's best work though. So I guess you could always end up loving both of those. I think they're ok, but greatly prefer Van Occupanther and Courage of Others.

Sorry, UiU, not sure how I missed this. Their first album, Bamnan and Silvercork, has a few fantastic songs, but the rest is somewhat forgettable to me. There are some people out there who swear by it and their first EP, Milkmaid Grand Army, and say they're still the band's best work though. So I guess you could always end up loving both of those. I think they're ok, but greatly prefer Van Occupanther and Courage of Others.

Thanks man, I will add them to my list...

Really love Roscoe, Head Home, In This Camp...Good Stuff!

Going to the show tomorrow, UiU? It's only $10. I haven't been to The State Room before, but it's a 21 and over venue, and apparently has GA theater style seating, table seating, and a standing GA section up front. Sounds like a cool place.

They were great live the last time I saw them, I'm really looking forward to the show.

hmmm...didnt even know they were playing here...probly wont go though, i doubt i could drag any of my friends to it... and i'm not one to go to shows by myself

I need to find friends (besides internet friends) that like the same music i do dammit!

Forgot to comment on it last week, but this was a great show. The new songs sounded phenomenal in a live setting, I forgot how much more they actually "rock" live. It was in a new venue, which is quite nice. We were standing right up against the stage, so the view was fantastic. I was on a post-concert high for the band for a few days, where I didn't want to listen to anything other than Midlake. Good times.

From Facebook:

hello everyone! we are days from finishing our forthcoming record and can't wait to share the album and everything with you in the near future. more info soon. til then, much love and thanks for your support and patience!

:up:

I hope the next one sounds like Van Occupanther. Courage of Others was OK but a little bit too Jethro Tull for my tastes.

They posted this picture on Facebook today, assuming it's related to the album artwork.

936940_10151647411920960_1552372363_n.jpg

Quick Friday update. I will try to do a more thorough edit next week if time allows.

May 20
Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
The National - Trouble Will Find Me

May 27
Alice In Chains - The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here
Animal Collective - Monkey Been To Burn Town EP
The Polyphonic Spree - Yes, It's True

June 3
Camera Obscura - Desire Lines
Disclosure - Settle
Eleanor Friedberger - Personal Record
iamamiwhoami - Bounty
Queens Of The Stone Age - Like Clockwork

June 10
Beady Eye - BE
Black Sabbath - 13
Boards Of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest
Jimmy Eat World - Damage
The Lonely Island - The Wack Album

June 17
Sigur Rós - Kveikur

June 24
Bell X1 - Chop Chop
Deap Vally - SISTRIONIX
Transplants - In A Warzone

July 1

July 8
New Order - Live at Bestival 2012

July 15

July 22

July 29

August 5
Medicine - To The Happy Few

August 12

August 19
Travis - Where You stand

August 26
Franz Ferdinand - Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action

September 30
Justin Timberlake - The 20/20 Experience Pt. 2

TBA
65daysofstatic (August)
AFI (September)
Arcade Fire (Late 2013)
Architecture In Helsinki
Common (September)
Dismemberment Plan
Earl Sweatshirt - Doris
Editors
The Horrors (September)
Jesus And Mary Chain
Lil Boosie - Louisiana State Penitentiary Inmate #560699
Lady Ga Ga - ARTPOP
Midlake
Neil Finn (October)
Pearl Jam
Sebadoh
Shearwater
U2 (Fall)
The Weeknd - Kiss Land
Wu-Tang Clan - A Better Tomorrow (July)

I don't need to be reminded that a new Travis album is coming out in two different threads.

I quite liked the last album, despite the general negative opinion associated with it.

I did too. Still vastly prefer Van Occupanther, but that's not saying much since it's one of my favorite albums of the last 10 years.

I failed to mention the update they posted to their website this weekend:

Midlake

hello friends. many days have passed since we saw you last. it’s been a couple years since we released any music, and it’s been months since we last performed live. the time passed has brought progression, changes, hope and joy. we are pleased to announce that our new album entitled Antiphon will be released this Fall. we are beyond excited to share this new record with everyone. since the departure of tim smith from midlake in November of last year, we’ve worked days and nights in the studio to write and record this album. we’ve pushed ourselves and challenged ourselves and feel that Antiphon represents an ultimate genesis both musically and spiritually.

We have so many great announcements and plans developing but more than anything, we are excited to perform these new songs along with our past favorites live for you. We look forward to seeing some of you in August and if we miss you then, we will see you in the months following. There are several tour dates brewing stateside and overseas so please check in frequently on this page as the updates will be coming often. onward!

Back
Top Bottom