Michael Jackson to tour 'for the last time' in London

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShipOfFools

War Child
Michael Jackson Says London Concerts To Be 'Final Curtain Call'

March 05, 2009 02:31 PM ET

Andre Paine, London

Michael Jackson has confirmed his July residency at London's O2 arena during a press conference at the venue, describing it as the "final curtain call."

Hundreds of screaming fans turned up for the announcement, as well as members of the media, after promoters AEG Live posted a message on the 23,000-capacity venue's Web site inviting people to attend.

"Thank you all... this is it," said Jackson, who appeared an hour and a half late at 5.30pm. "I just wanted to say, these will be my final show performances in London. When I say this is it, it really means this is it. I'll be performing the songs my fans want to hear. This is it, this is really it, this is the final curtain call."

He added: "I'll see you in July and... I love you. I really do, you have to know that, from the bottom of my heart. This is it and see you in July."

The first date is July 8 and tickets go on sale March 13. Tickets are priced £50 ($70) to £75 ($106). Full details will be announced later.

Posters advertising 10 shows, also stating 'This is it,' appeared on the London Underground before the announcement.

The statement issued announcing the residency says that Jackson's O2 shows will be "history in the making as the King of Pop Michael Jackson performs in London for the last time."

Rob Hallett, president international touring, AEG Live, said in the statement: "We are delighted to facilitate the return of the King of Pop, long may he reign! Michael at the O2 this summer will surely be the highlight of the musical year.

"When Michael Jackson performs, the eyes of the world will be watching. Look out for an International flavor to the audience, as this will be his only concerts in the world this year."

Billboard.com had already revealed details of the residency and, earlier today, AEG president and CEO Tim Leiweke told the audience at the Billboard Music & Money Symposium that Jackson is likely to perform a total of 20 to 25 shows at the O2 Arena once further dates are added to the initial 10 shows.

"We spent two years working with Michael trying to get him comfortable with this," said Leiweke, during his keynote Q&A at the St. Regis Hotel in New York City. He added that the singer is "very focused."

Jackson has not released a studio album or played a full concert since 2001. His last major tour was the HIStory World Tour in 1996-1997.

Michael Jackson Says London Concerts To Be 'Final Curtain Call'

while i'm holding myself back from making a "little boy" joke, i do truly wonder if he's in any shape to actually put on a good performance.

while i'm holding myself back from making a "little boy" joke, i do truly wonder if he's in any shape to actually put on a good performance.

If he does, all the more power to him. If he doesn't, then sadly he'll go down (control yourself, cookie) as a complete and utter embarassment, moreso than he already is. :shrug:

Why don't you take the road less traveled and go with a "melting under the harsh kilowatts of the spotlight" joke?

I really think he's in no state to perform well. This isn't going to be pretty. Pun intended.

I wonder how many "fans" would pay money to go see Jackson live again whether it's his last show or not?

I wouldn't pay money to see him live again. But since I've never seen him live in the first place, I have to say I was thinking for a moment to try to catch a show. But then again, this is a U2 tour year, so July is out of the question for me.

I'd rather pay to see him dead.

Poor Mike.

I "almost" feel bad for the guy. He's got like 4 band aids holding his face together. :lol: But, Mikey likes the kids way too much for me to be able to wish him well. After 1993, nobody's parents should've been feeding their kids to Michael so he could have sleepover buddies. :angry:

After 1993, Michael has been The King of Slop to me.

If there is a worse role model for kids (out of people likely to be considered one), or a more cautionary story about the acquisition of wealth, I've never seen it.

The 750 million album's sold talk is laughable, where do these jokers get their figures from :lol:

I wonder what the number would be with ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS.

If there is a worse role model for kids (out of people likely to be considered one), or a more cautionary story about the acquisition of wealth, I've never seen it.

I genuinely think he doesn't fully understand what the problem is with him sharing a bed with a child.

I reckon doing it gracefully is impossible at this point.

If this was the 80's or early 90's i would be tempted but this is 2000's wacko jacko. Not my bag.

the thing was i saw him on a uk music award show and he tried to do a live version of thriller

and he could not hit any of the high notes, in fact he sang terribly

whats the point of keeping alive your music career if your key asset is amortized?

he stopped being relevant a long time ago, lets say a couple of decades ago

Back
Top Bottom