Metallica is back !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what I've heard so far I'm just a wee bit skeptical.

Well, I've had it for a few days and listened to the whole thing a lot, and also i'm sure not everyone's taste is the same.

For a band at this stage in their career to put out such a strong work is damn impressive, i hope U2 can do likewise, rather than follow up their St.Anger with, well, another one.

Yes, this album is coming out on a Friday. Why, I don't know. Metallica think they're special and different, I guess.

Isn't it only being sold at Walmart as well, or is that something else?

Holy Jesus! :up:

The setlist so far form Berlin:

01. That Was Just Your Life
02. The End Of The Line
03. The Thing That Should Not Be
04. Of Wolf And Man
05. One
06. Broken, Beat and Scarred
07. Cyanide
08. Frantic
09. Until It Sleeps
10. Wherever I May Roam
11. For Whom The Bell Tolls
12. The Day That Never Comes
13. Master Of Puppets
14. Blackened

Now THAT's some major setlist shakeup

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

The setlist so far form Berlin:

01. That Was Just Your Life
02. The End Of The Line
03. The Thing That Should Not Be
04. Of Wolf And Man
05. One
06. Broken, Beat and Scarred
07. Cyanide
08. Frantic
09. Until It Sleeps
10. Wherever I May Roam
11. For Whom The Bell Tolls
12. The Day That Never Comes
13. Master Of Puppets
14. Blackened

Now THAT's some major setlist shakeup

:applaud::applaud::applaud:

15. Blitzkrieg
16. Jump In The Fire

WTF???!!!!!!

Wow! This album really is good! But I have to turn the volume down a lot. Definitely a victim of the loudness wars.

Wow! This album really is good! But I have to turn the volume down a lot. Definitely a victim of the loudness wars.

It's better on my home system, sounds like shit on my PC-speakers and mp3 players

Clips like crazy, the general consensus on the Metallica boards is that the album is one of their best but a lot of people are up in arms over the crappy mastering

I'm loving this album more and more with every listen! Unforgiven III is as good as the previous 2! Listening to all 3 unforgivens back to back right now. :lol:

Those pics and video are really cool!

I've heard all the songs now.

Meh. :shrug:

Don't get me wrong - it's light years better than St. Anger, but there's something missing.

Pros:
The technical performances are fantastic - machine gun rhythms, riffs galore - all precise as can be
There are really cool moments in almost all the songs
Kirk hasn't forgotten how to rip out a killer solo
Return of some of the duel harmonizing guitars
Willingness to attempt some longer song structures, different breaks and unexpected direction changes.

Cons:
Lyrics. Ugh. :doh: Whiny, cliche, uninspired. Nothing even remotely close to Master of Puppets or ...And Justice For All, hell even the Black Album puts this to shame. To be honest I think this is the main reason I'm disappointed in the album. Well maybe it's a tie between this and:
James' vocal delivery. Combined with the lyrics, you could almost transplant his vocals from one song to another and not tell much of a difference. Too much of the same thing is overkill for me.
Not much in the way of variety musically.
The mastering is, to put it mildly, fucking awful.

Now I don't necessarily dislike it. It's just... mediocre. :shrug:

Agreed that the lyrics could be better. But it's metal. I'm not expecting poetry. That said, Puppets and Justice did have much better subject matter. But Kill em all didn't have great lyrics or anything. Lightning was better I guess.

I also agree that the production/mastering is pretty bad. I should not have to turn the volume down so much to enjoy it. Flashback to Vertigo and ABOY.

Mostly I'm loving the return of double bass pedal drums, the speed riffs, the solos, the complete absence of radio friendly track lengths etc. etc.

PS: Plus, the classic pointy logo is back! :rockon:

For a band to have been around that long and put out such a strong album at this late stage is amazing, and great to see. Kind of like Rush did last year. Now let's see if U2 can do likewise.

The typical reaction on the Metallica forums is "this is a fucking great album, but not quite as good as Puppets or Justice". I can live with that. If U2 can release an album that gets a "this is great, but not quite as good as JT or AB" I'll be happy.

I wish I could do certain things as well as I could 20 years ago too......

In the meantime: BOW DOWN!!!!!! :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:

For a band to have been around that long and put out such a strong album at this late stage is amazing, and great to see. Kind of like Rush did last year. Now let's see if U2 can do likewise.

If U2's record is on par with this one, I will be quite disappointed. To be fair, though, U2 hasn't put out a St. Anger (yet...) and generally doesn't have a huge portion of their fan base whining about why they haven't returned to their roots in such a long time.

I think one of the reasons the Metallica fans are going ga-ga over this one is because it has been sooooo long since Metallica put out an actual metal album that's listenable that they're willing to overlook a lot of things to bask in the speed and aggression once again. I don't think it'll stand the test of time very well, but I'll let the hardcore 'tallica fans have their honeymoon. :)

I wish I could do certain things as well as I could 20 years ago too......

I'm sure Metallica wishes the same.

Back
Top Bottom