Metallica is back ! - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #181
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,002
Local Time: 04:40 PM
$100 and $75 tickets?!

They may be trying to emulate 1980's Metallica, but it's nice to see they're the same corporate whores/capitalist pigs they've been for the last 15+ years.
__________________

__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #182
Refugee
 
got_edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Dating a retarded person
Posts: 2,338
Local Time: 08:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Have a cookie.
__________________

__________________
got_edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #183
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
$100 and $75 tickets?!

They may be trying to emulate 1980's Metallica, but it's nice to see they're the same corporate whores/capitalist pigs they've been for the last 15+ years.

$80 ticket got me 8th row off to the side, which will be a great seat as they're playing in the round. The same kind of ticket that was $150 last time around for U2 and will probably be over $200 this time around.

Also got me a free copy of the album and a free download of the show.

U2 makes Metallica look like Ralph Nader
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #184
Blue Crack Distributor
 
Lila64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: ♥Set List Lane♥
Posts: 52,710
Local Time: 05:40 PM
Metallica have always been corporate whores, but at least you get a CD & a download of the show

My friend worked in a recording studio in NoCal several years ago when Metallica were recording there. He's got some stories! And Lars is a money grubbing
__________________
Lila64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #185
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
U2DMfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: It's Inside A Black Hole
Posts: 6,637
Local Time: 06:40 PM
Someone (maybe Lars) described this album as the long lost segue between Justice and the Black Album. I can see that in the two songs I've heard. Like taking the balls out of Justice and taking the great grooves and tempo changes and streamlining them into something that high school football players like to jam to. In fact that was the situation as I saw it in 1991. Although, I'm hoping this album has more of an edge than the Black Turd, and I'll give enough credit where it's due, I like both songs better than ANYTHING on that album already.

I've heard Cyanide live and the new single, whatever it's called.
Underwhelmed by the new single. Cyanide sounded a little more promising but it's hard to tell. The single 'sounds' good, it's just too straightforward all things considered.
Owes way too much to their other work. Which wouldn't be a bad thing if this were 1990 instead of 2008.

That said, I am hopeful there will be a few songs on the album that kick major ass, because I think they've got the right mindset creatively. Execution might be the problem.
__________________
U2DMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:06 PM   #186
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
Someone (maybe Lars) described this album as the long lost segue between Justice and the Black Album. I can see that in the two songs I've heard. Like taking the balls out of Justice and taking the great grooves and tempo changes and streamlining them into something that high school football players like to jam to. In fact that was the situation as I saw it in 1991. Although, I'm hoping this album has more of an edge than the Black Turd, and I'll give enough credit where it's due, I like both songs better than ANYTHING on that album already.

I've heard Cyanide live and the new single, whatever it's called.
Underwhelmed by the new single. Cyanide sounded a little more promising but it's hard to tell. The single 'sounds' good, it's just too straightforward all things considered.
Owes way too much to their other work. Which wouldn't be a bad thing if this were 1990 instead of 2008.

That said, I am hopeful there will be a few songs on the album that kick major ass, because I think they've got the right mindset creatively. Execution might be the problem.
My main disappointment so far is the sound quality, sounds like it's recorded too loud, lots of clipping, sounds like shit - See Accelerate, Magic, Vapor Trails, the CD version of Icky Thump (Download the Hoffman Vinyl rip version and see the difference)
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #187
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 05:40 PM
Listened to the new album last night.

the good - It's their most Metal since Justice, the album kicks ass.
the bad - Sound is utter shite, the Loudness Wars claim another victim. Lars has no game left, he's done.

I hope a Vinyl-mixed version comes out a la Icky Thump.
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #188
Blue Crack Addict
 
Aardvark747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Obscured By Clouds...
Posts: 22,359
Local Time: 12:40 AM
Just downloading the album now...
__________________
Aardvark747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:49 PM   #189
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,237
Local Time: 06:40 PM
$100 for GA tix?


Hellllllllllll no.
__________________
Diemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #190
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,002
Local Time: 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
$80 ticket got me 8th row off to the side, which will be a great seat as they're playing in the round. The same kind of ticket that was $150 last time around for U2 and will probably be over $200 this time around.

Also got me a free copy of the album and a free download of the show.

U2 makes Metallica look like Ralph Nader
At least U2 had a very large percentage of $50 seats, and those also happened to be the best "seats" in the house.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:55 PM   #191
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
At least U2 had a very large percentage of $50 seats, and those also happened to be the best "seats" in the house.
That's subjective.

Much bigger proportion of seats were >$100
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #192
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
$100 for GA tix?


Hellllllllllll no.
About 75-80 for fanclub members though

A fanclub that actually gives their fans something and and a system that doesn't hand over tix to scalpers, imagine that.....

Stage is in the round so even furthest away GA "seat" is a lot closer than typical worst case GA
__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:00 PM   #193
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 06:40 PM
Also, a large number of venues/bands have realized that even though they offer GA tickets at a "low" price, those same seats usually end up being scooped up and sold by scalpers for considerably greater prices than actual "seats". As that essentially makes the purpose of offering GA at a lower price pointless, that pricing model is becoming a thing of the past.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:42 PM   #194
Blue Crack Supplier
 
lazarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 38,002
Local Time: 04:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by toscano View Post
That's subjective.

Much bigger proportion of seats were >$100
I didn't say that the majority of the seats were $50. But the entire GA floor was that pricing, which is a lot of people. And if you were willing to wait in line, you'd get a better seat than anyone off the floor.
__________________
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #195
Refugee
 
toscano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 2,032
Local Time: 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
I didn't say that the majority of the seats were $50. But the entire GA floor was that pricing, which is a lot of people. And if you were willing to wait in line, you'd get a better seat than anyone off the floor.

Not necessarily.

If you didn't get in the heart/ellipse, you would be alot further back than alot of floor people, I could practically touch the Edge at one show and I was on the floor, because I was at the side and the stage came close to the seats.

"if you were willing to wait in line" - Well, that's not free either. There's a price to pay there that in November in many places is a lot costlier than money. Even here in SoCal I wouldn't dream of waiting in line all day anymore. So pay one way or pay another. You're still paying.

U2 will sell a lot more $150-200 tickets per show (i'm betting next time will be 200-250) than they would $50 (and next time I'm betting $80), they're much more of a corporate whore than Metallica is.

At least Metallica fan club member actually got GA or good seats in their presale, along with the other bonuses (free CD, free download of the show, etc). The big gotcha is that they can't scalp the tickets as it's a "pick up at will call and be escorted into the arena" deal.

I got mine through local radio station presale, 8th row off the floor ! I paid more than double for that type of seat on the elevation tour (probably triple next time) and was a LOT further away because Metallica is using an in-the-round stage. oh and I also got the free CD and show download with the pre-sale.

Some bands DO actually seem to give a shit......
__________________

__________________
toscano is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
metallica

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com