MERGED ----> Last.fm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm, on the plus side, it's not as ugly as it was initially. They've got little triangles now instead of that +/- monstrosity. Still, it all looks rather cluttered (which is JUST what last.fm needs.)

By the way, is anyone else upset that they got rid of the light grey shading beside each play count in your charts? It's just white now and only goes grey when you move your cursor over each artist. Just TOO MUCH WHITE. It was fine when it just affected the recently played tracks, but now it's just too much. My retinas fry every time I look at my profile.

Are they only doing that for the weekly charts?....I guess its not as bad as it could have been , but it doesnt seem right.

Oh and I agree, its wayyy to White!....

I like this new feature. It's nice and informative, and I'm glad that for once, a change has focused on the statistics rather than frills such as the radio or the visual appearance. I don't get the fuss here. :shrug:

Oh, I really like the idea behind the feature, I just loathe the presentation. They utilised an identical idea with Last.fm's overall charts a while ago. It was colour-coded, had good placement, and wasn't so much of a visual distraction. If it had have been something like that, I wouldn't mind so much. Now I see they've changed the presentation of the overall charts, so I can't even post a screenshot to compare.

GibsonGirl said:
Oh, I really like the idea behind the feature, I just loathe the presentation. They utilised an identical idea with Last.fm's overall charts a while ago. It was colour-coded, had good placement, and wasn't so much of a visual distraction. If it had have been something like that, I wouldn't mind so much. Now I see they've changed the presentation of the overall charts, so I can't even post a screenshot to compare.

I remember the presentation you mean. I agree, that would have been better, but this presentation doesn't bother me. As far as I'm concerned, the site's look has been ugly ever since that big change earlier this year anyway, and this does nothing to either improve or tarnish it. I'm just glad this new feature is there. Though the arrows do make me think of "two to the power of twenty" ...

stupidlastfmlm0.jpg

:grumpy:

Not to mention all the problems yesterday.

They're offering me tea now. :mad:

We're sorry, but our database servers are currently :blahblah:

Second time today.

you know, they should at least do what lj does and when there's downtime, actually give us something back. they may say the downtime is scheduled, but a website this big shouldn't be having scheduled downtime. and even so, then it would/should be posted days ahead.

it's not like i can't live without scrobbling my music, hell i've been at work all day anyway, but it's the fact that i'm paying for a service and it's not being provided to me. if it's this much of a hassle to have this large of a clientele, then they should close registration until they can get their shit together or something.

Well I posted this in Vorsprung but didn't recieve an answer so I'll ask here as well. I d/led Iscrobbler to use with my iPod when I'm offline. When I plug the iPod in and hit update ipod it keeps telling me there's nothing in the recently played folder, when there is. Can anyone lend a hint on what I need to do?

It looks like they're making changes due to this:

Warner Music announces Last.fm content deal

LONDON (Reuters) - Warner Music Group on Tuesday said it had signed a deal to allow its entire catalog to be played on fast-growing music social network service Last.fm, an innovative site that links music fans to new and old hits.
ADVERTISEMENT

With more than 15 million active users per month, Last.fm has earned glowing praise for its system which recommends songs by tracking a listener's music-playing habits and automatically linking them to fans with similar tastes.

The deal with Warner, the world's fourth-largest music company, is the first with one of the major labels and the network's co-founder Martin Stiksel said they were in talks with the other three major labels and content holders.

Warner, home to Madonna and Red Hot Chili Peppers, said the deal underscored its commitment to offering consumers unique ways to experience its music.

Stephen Bryan, who looks at business development for Warner Music Group, told Reuters that Last.fm reflected a broader trend that showed the power of community driven services.

"This will help us harness that power for consumers," he said.

Last.fm was launched in 2002 but exploded in popularity in 2005 when it developed a new method for connecting people with music and artists with listeners.

Music fans who sign up at http://www.last.fm can agree to link their digital media player, such as Apple Inc.'s iTunes for example, to Last.fm's site, which then monitors the choice of music.

With this information, it can then recommend new or old songs, artists or local concerts, drawing from the choices of other fans who have similar tastes.

The network also provides a free, advertising-supported online radio streaming service which will play music from the hundreds of independent labels it has deals with, and from this week, Warner.

"The big guys are starting to realize that these community tools aren't just for people to use to amuse themselves," said Mike McGuire, a Silicon Valley-based music industry analyst with Gartner Inc. "These sites can help drive transactions."

STAMP OF APPROVAL

"It is very difficult to keep up to date with all the new music that is coming out," Stiksel told Reuters in an interview. "Being confronted with too much choice can actually be daunting and you go back to listening to the same old stuff.

"What we wanted to do was make music discovery very simple. This is the first major content deal we have done and this is the official stamp of approval." Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The group said the service had also been popular with independent labels and artists who use it to target new fans.

"The only thing you have to do is listen," said Stefan Glaenzer, chairman of the London-based company.

"The music industry can only ever promote the last four or five things," he told Reuters. "This helps them find audiences for their very new music."

Last.fm said the deal would allow Warner's music to be offered over its service in the U.S. and Europe and would roll out in full over the next week.

Last.fm's biggest markets are the United States, Britain, Japan, Germany, Poland, Brazil, Turkey and Finland, where 8 percent of Finnish Internet users are Last.fm users.

(Additional reporting by Eric Auchard in London)

I'm seeing little play buttons next most of the tracks :hmm:

Last edited:
I like the play buttons, they are handy, it also tells you if an artist has a full track up from streaming which is cool to know

Right, someone get all those bloody play buttons off my profile this instant.

Do you guys ever use their radio or playback services? Mostly I just listen to my own stuff and want to see my statistics, so the new changes don't do much for me. The artists they recommend for me are usually such crap, I rarely check them out. And they've been hawking the same 10 free tracks to me for months now. :|

You all complain too much, the play buttons are useful on other people's pages to hear songs you don't know, a bit pointless on your page but whatever.

Back
Top Bottom