MERGED ----> Last.fm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Grooveshark. I'm happy with Grooveshark. I don't really see a reason to switch to Spotify. Until they pry Grooveshark out of my cold dead hands, at any rate.

Is this like the first big break down this site has had since like 2007 when it was down every five minutes?
those were some dark days. i paid out the ass to "help" them. at least back then it meant i had priority in the queue, but i can't remember if i lost some of my stuff, since there were times when i'd have hundreds of songs queued with the site being down for days.

Anyone try rdio.com yet?

How would you compare it to Spotify and last.fm?

Let's talk about the new last.fm beta.

http://www.last.fm/

I'll start: I fucking hate it.

First of all, hardly anything works at launch. I can't update my profile, I can't delete scrobbles, nothing. Now if this was a brand new, exclusive beta that hadn't been launched to the public, that would be OK. But it launched broken.

Secondly, the library is a pain in the ass to navigate. If you have a large library, it takes dozens of clicks to get to the artists with fewer plays, whereas before your artists were on one page in a long list. I wonder how all those extra clicks could benefit them...

Third, it's fuck ugly. I have adblock on and my page looks almost entirely empty. Take adblock off and it's swarming with adspace. The front page defaults to an amorphous blob of recommendations with tiny icons in the corner that tell you whether or not you're looking at an album, artist, gig (??!) or song. Absolutely hideous design and incompetent coding.

I'm sticking around because I don't want to throw 105k scrobbles in the garbage, but this is a disaster.

Last edited:
This is what the front page looks like with adblock off:

w68uhEr.png

Last edited:
I love the shitfit on RYM about this. My reaction in general is a shrug. I never look at the homepage - last.fm is like RYM or Interference in that way for me - so that could look like one gigantic arse and I'd never know. The site in general looks a bit worse than the previous version, but that wasn't particularly good to begin with, and I like all the new charts. They're fun. I agree with some of the navigational issues, and I hope the temporary unavailability of certain features only lasts for a short period, but I can't fathom all these people saying they want to delete their accounts. It's not as if the core functionality of the site has changed, and in fact with the new charts it has possibly been enhanced.

I didn't even know there was a change. I'm still connected to it but barely look at it because some of their functionality is shithouse - songs not scrobbling if you don't plug in your ipod every two weeks, the app for macbook constantly crashing, etc.

I'm just pissed because it's blatantly obvious how many of these design choices were made with their wallets in mind and not the user. It takes 58 clicks to get through my artist library now. That's 58 extra clicks that benefit them off the back of my wasted time. Meanwhile, the adspace is simply atrocious. This is Angelfire tier web design.

But no, I won't be deleting my account or anything like that.

I didn't even know there was a change. I'm still connected to it but barely look at it because some of their functionality is shithouse - songs not scrobbling if you don't plug in your ipod every two weeks, the app for macbook constantly crashing, etc.

If you wanted to complain about this, you would have to log in for a separate account on a different site. You can't post on the old forums anymore and the new forum is sequestered in some internet Siberia that sounds like a hookup site.

https://getsatisfaction.com/lastfm/

Last edited:
the app for macbook constantly crashing

I've literally never had this happen.

It takes 58 clicks to get through my artist library now. That's 58 extra clicks that benefit them off the back of my wasted time.

I agree with you, and there really needs to be the ability to jump to specific pages rather than relying on next/back, but how badly do you need to get to page 43 to view all the artists with names starting between G-K that you've listened to twice? The first few pages are by far of most interest.

Totally hate the Song Title - Artist in the recent plays. But that's small potatoes compared to the rest of the design.

Spotify scrobbles offline plays when you "reconnect". My Mac app crashes every now and then also, but everything updates fine.

I'm just pissed because it's blatantly obvious how many of these design choices were made with their wallets in mind and not the user. It takes 58 clicks to get through my artist library now. That's 58 extra clicks that benefit them off the back of my wasted time. Meanwhile, the adspace is simply atrocious. This is Angelfire tier web design.

But no, I won't be deleting my account or anything like that.

I know! It's fucking hideous and clunky looking. I hope once they iron everything out (when pigs fly) that it somewhat works. With any luck there will be a few more additions to this site https://userstyles.org/styles/browse?search_terms=Last+FM

I didn't even know there was a change. I'm still connected to it but barely look at it because some of their functionality is shithouse
Same here. I've actaully just noticed I haven't logged in on my scrobbling app since I have a new phone so I've missed nearly half a year of scrobbles. I look at my stats once in a while but that's it.

And yet they STILL won't let you change your username?! Fuck's sakes, lads.

I don't care too much about the frontpage, although it's really messy - I'd like to be able to pick if I want related artists, top tracks, etc. As someone who had a fucking explosion of data on his page, I hate the new system of only having the top ten tracks.

For what it's worth, I do actually go through the deep pages of my library a bit because sometimes a song'll get stuck in my head, I'll know who it's by but not what the song was. This might not be applicable to everyone?

Having "song name - artist name" instead of "artist name - song name" genuinely makes me a little mad. I see absolutely no system in which that'd make sense.

Last.fm is possibly the worst app I've ever seen. It always crashes whenever I plug my phone in. I don't even bother anymore.

I love the shitfit on RYM about this. My reaction in general is a shrug. I never look at the homepage - last.fm is like RYM or Interference in that way for me - so that could look like one gigantic arse and I'd never know. The site in general looks a bit worse than the previous version, but that wasn't particularly good to begin with, and I like all the new charts. They're fun. I agree with some of the navigational issues, and I hope the temporary unavailability of certain features only lasts for a short period, but I can't fathom all these people saying they want to delete their accounts. It's not as if the core functionality of the site has changed, and in fact with the new charts it has possibly been enhanced.

No, the core functionality was abandoned years ago :sigh:.

Losing Last.fm Radio and all of my Grooveshark playlists has done a real number on my daily desire to listen to music.

songs not scrobbling if you don't plug in your ipod every two weeks
fyi, that's not an error but a feature. i remember this from way back when last.fm would go down for days (sometimes weeks) at a time. once the songs queued (or if they're on your ipod, whatever) are more than two weeks old, they don't get scrobbled. it was incredibly frustrating because it meant i lost some scrobbles along the way. i know axver feels my pain when he had the same issues.

i don't think there's a ton of whitespace (i do use adblock) but that's just me. i do also only really use my profile and nothing else. i really only browse other stuff to occasionally add events to my profile if i'm attending a concert or maybe if i wanna look up a song. what bums me out is the sidebar thing on profiles being gone. i miss being able to add little pictures of bands and stuff.

i guess that it's kinda neat that my top scrobbled track is listed at the very top of my profile now, for anyone who wanted to know but was too lazy to scroll down. plus now there's a header pic which it seems to be taken from a photo of your #1 most listened to artist.

I really can't imagine using this site on a regular basis without adblock. It's an eyesore without it. With it, it's just bland looking. Not a huge deal.

My last fm scrobbler doesn't pick up my iPod scrobbles anymore. So, it used to be accurate. Now it's not. And this, last.fm is a little less relevant to me. I'm all about the scrobbles and data keeping.

Back
Top Bottom