MERGED-->Idlewild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Idlewild: The Remote Part

Wow. After listening to Red Hot Chilli Peppers' By The Way a million times, I thought it was going to be my favorite album of the year. Then I downloaded this (it isnt available in the US yet, but I'm buying it the day it is). Idlewild had become one of my favorite bands w/ 100 Broken Windows, and strenghtened that position when I bought Hope is Important later, but The Remote Part blows those 2 out of the water!!! What a solid album! What a beautiful album! What a rocking album!!!

EVERYONE, go buy this or if you're in the US download it or import it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Idlewild: The Remote Part

u2popmofo said:
Wow. After listening to Red Hot Chilli Peppers' By The Way a million times, I thought it was going to be my favorite album of the year. Then I downloaded this (it isnt available in the US yet, but I'm buying it the day it is). Idlewild had become one of my favorite bands w/ 100 Broken Windows, and strenghtened that position when I bought Hope is Important later, but The Remote Part blows those 2 out of the water!!! What a solid album! What a beautiful album! What a rocking album!!!

EVERYONE, go buy this or if you're in the US download it or import it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yes:

I'm buying it on Amazon UK because I can't wait for the US release. I have it downloaded, though, and I agree that it's fantastic. Especially the song "In Remote Part/Scottish Fiction." The Edwin Morgan poem is gorgeous.

The album won't be released in the States until 2003, probably January.

Also, they're opening for Coldplay in the UK and the rest of Europe in October and November. I wish they would open for them in the US too!!

(Two other bands that I've been introduced to through Idlewild, Ikara Colt and Seafood, are also good.)

Last edited:
I bought this album on the day it came out here, and I completely love it!!!! I'd never heard of Idlewild until I heard "You held the world in your arms" on the radio, but they are fast becoming one of my favourite bands now. I will have to buy their other albums soon I think.

pack yer bags

meeganie, i think you need to come to college with me next year to ensure that my roommate doesn't have bad taste in music (which she does). and it doesn't matter how old you are or anything, so long as you don't mind south dakota. :D

and yes, idlewild is an awesome band, i first heard them back when we had decent radio stations.

Re: pack yer bags

Lilly said:
meeganie, i think you need to come to college with me next year to ensure that my roommate doesn't have bad taste in music (which she does). and it doesn't matter how old you are or anything, so long as you don't mind south dakota. :D

:laugh: Actually, I'm still college-ish age (21). Never been to South Dakota, though. I'm kind of tired of my job, but at least it pays (unlike college -- I'll still be paying for mine for the rest of my life). But I'll tell you what, I'll forgo a salary if you can throw in a cute British guy (preferably a rock star). ;)

Edited because I thought I was older than I am. :huh:

Last edited:
Good to see some other people know Idlewild. I think I"m going to import the cd too, www.cdnow.com has a decent price. www.hmv.com is decent too but for some reason the cheaper version doesnt come out for a few weeks or something. Anyone else know of any good sites to import this cd from?

u2popmofo said:
Good to see some other people know Idlewild. I think I"m going to import the cd too, www.cdnow.com has a decent price. www.hmv.com is decent too but for some reason the cheaper version doesnt come out for a few weeks or something. Anyone else know of any good sites to import this cd from?

I like Amazon UK best. The shipping isn't bad, and they're usually VERY fast.

Meegannie, have any clue what it's going to come to in $ 's from Amazon UK? I went to that site last night too, but I couldnt find a price conversion anywhere. BTW, do you have Captain? That's the only Idlewild album/ep i dont have, wondering how it is. I"ve heard some of the songs from it, it's a little harder and more trash than their other stuff.

u2popmofo said:
Meegannie, have any clue what it's going to come to in $ 's from Amazon UK? I went to that site last night too, but I couldnt find a price conversion anywhere. BTW, do you have Captain? That's the only Idlewild album/ep i dont have, wondering how it is. I"ve heard some of the songs from it, it's a little harder and more trash than their other stuff.

I just looked on Amazon UK and then used Yahoo's price conversion thing, and it looks like it's around $18.26.

I don't have Captain, but I've downloaded all of the songs from it. It is a LOT more screamy than even Hope Is Important, and I think the band has pretty much disowned it. ;)

Have you heard the acoustic version of "Self-Healer"? It's very, very good.

meegannie, speaking of great acoustic versions of Idlewild songs, try go get Actually It's Darkness, if you dont already have it. I think I almost like the acoustic version better. Also, If you go to Rollingstone.com they have an acoustic version of Little Discourage on video there. You probably know about all these things. Anyways, I'm really liking Tell Me 10 Words and In Remote Part/Scottish Fiction off of Remote part the last couple days.

Here's a follow up on The Remote Part prices. HMV.com is selling a limited edition of it for under $20 right now. It's about $18 I think. I'm not sure how this is different than the normal version, and if it's a limited edition why it's cheaper than the normal version they're selling by about $10, but regardless, it's cheap!!

One of my favorite groups. I just listened to 3 of their albums today! I need to get some of their bsides, I dont have any!

Try to find the acoustic version of "Self-Healer."

They should be doing a US tour in March/April or so. I want them to play in DC in April. :up: :hyper:

Will do my fellow Idlewild loving comrade in arms. I dont know what that meant. Yeah, I'm pumped for the US tour. Please, please, please come to Utah!!!

I like them a lot - I need to get their latest though I have slacked on that. Megan if they come to DC and you go, let me know I would defintely be interested in checking that show out.

DiGi said:
I like them a lot - I need to get their latest though I have slacked on that. Megan if they come to DC and you go, let me know I would defintely be interested in checking that show out.

Definitely. :up:

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

DiGi - I'm definitely interested. Have you gotten tickets yet?

Here are the rest of the dates for the North America tour:

MARCH 2003
(US Tour)

5th: Boston MA, Paradise
6th: New York, Irving Plaza
7th: Philadelphia PA, Theatre Of Living Arts
8th: Baltimore MD, Fletcher's
10th: Atlanta GA, Echo Lounge
11th: New Orleans, House Of Blues
14th: Austin TX, SXSW
16th: Dallas, Trees (tickets on sale 8th February)
20th: Champaign IL, Highdive
21st: Chicago IL, Double Door
25th: Denver, Bluebird Theater
28th: Seattle, Graceland (tickets on sale 15th February)

MAY 2003
(US - supporting Pearl Jam)

28th: Missoula MT, Adams Fieldhouse
30th: Vancouver BC, GM Place

JUNE 2003
(US - supporting Pearl Jam)

1st: San Fransisco CA, Shoreline Amphitheater
2nd: Los Angeles CA, Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
5th: San Diego CA, San Diego Sports Arena
6th: Las Vegas NV, Mandalay Bay Events Center
7th: Phoenix AZ, Cricket Pavilion
9th: Dallas TX, Smirnoff Music Center
10th: Little Rock AR, Alltel Arena
12th: Kansas City MO, Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
13th: Council Bluff IA, Mid-America Center
15th: Fargo ND, Fargo Dome
16th: St. Paul MN, Xcell Arena
18th: Chicago IL, United Center
19th: Cincinnati OH, Riverbend Music Center

Thye are coming here tonight

Yeh I saw them with Stereophonics....I think!!! Last year..

they were REALLY GOOD!!! :hyper:

Hmm, Maybe I'll need to make a Vegas road trip. It's sad that I want to see Idlewild a lot more than I do Pearl Jam though. Few years ago that would have been very different.

I saw them supporting Coldplay last year and they were excellent

Also, they played Queen's uni students' union last night, and when I was playing snooker I was able to listen to their soundcheck :D
(didnt go to the gig mind...)

yah, i saw them last year in England at V2002. They were pretty good. Not precisely "my style" (but then again, i was waiting for them to get off the stage so Doves could get on it :drool: ) but definitely worth seeing.

I think live they tend to be a bit too noisy (I realise this makes me sound like I'm 63) but still excellent and I think their recorded stuff is just a little more accessible

cloudimani said:
I saw them supporting Coldplay last year and they were excellent

Also, they played Queen's uni students' union last night, and when I was playing snooker I was able to listen to their soundcheck :D
(didnt go to the gig mind...)

Mani ill be there from September :hyper:

Student......me........:lol:

Back
Top Bottom