MERGED-->Idlewild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would be really happy if you tell me this album is good stuff

I've been delaying my impressions and response, as this has kinda been another album like Warnings/Promises where it's taken a while for it all to sink in. Plus, I knew when I finally started writing about it, it was going to be a mini-novel. :wink: Everything still hasn't sunken in yet, and I think this one will take longer to sink in than any previous Idlewild album for me, but there are my early thoughts.

This is hands down their poppiest, least-edgy record to date. It's pretty ironic that they wait until they're off a label and distributing the album themselves to release something that so accessible and mainstreamish. I'm not sure if their original intent was to actually go "post-electric" as the album and song imply, as it seems like everything may have originally be written on acoustic guitars. Don't get me wrong, most everything still has electric guitars, and it's still rock and roll, it's just not the type of rock and roll you expect to hear from Idlewild. This is one of the first times where I think the comparisons they used to get to REM actually seems to stick, as the song blueprints kinda do remind me of them (but still don't really sound like that either). It's hard to explain, but you'll know what I mean when you hear it. Looking at most people who've gotten this early release's impressions, seemed like everyone was a bit shocked or didn't know what to think at first, and then it sunk in. I personally haven't been able to get 3 or 4 of the tracks out of my head for the last few days!

It's the first Idlewild album since Hope Is Important where the first track isn't either my favorite track on the album, or one of the absolute best songs on the album. The second and third tracks seem to make up for that though, as they're both my present favorites and two of the catchiest pop songs the band has written.

There are a few tracks that sorta have the same general vibe as Roddy's solo album, which I think is a good thing. The title track is pretty damn cool. There's another poppy song that honestly sounds like nothing the band has ever done, it was sorta messed with my head the first time I heard it. Oddly, the "most Idlewild-ish sounding" tracks on the album are some of my least favorite tracks at this point.

In the tradition of The Bronze Medal, In Remote Part, and Finished It Remains, the album's closing track is absolutely stunning. It builds and builds, and you expect it to finally explode like In Remote Part or Finished It Remains, but it surprises you instead. It's extremely satisfying, fitting in regards to the album title, and a beautiful song.

To finally get back to Digi's simple question as to whether or not it's good stuff... Of course it is, it's Idlewild.

I've been delaying my impressions and response, as this has kinda been another album like Warnings/Promises where it's taken a while for it all to sink in. Plus, I knew when I finally started writing about it, it was going to be a mini-novel. :wink: Everything still hasn't sunken in yet, and I think this one will take longer to sink in than any previous Idlewild album for me, but there are my early thoughts.

This is hands down their poppiest, least-edgy record to date. It's pretty ironic that they wait until they're off a label and distributing the album themselves to release something that so accessible and mainstreamish. I'm not sure if their original intent was to actually go "post-electric" as the album and song imply, as it seems like everything may have originally be written on acoustic guitars. Don't get me wrong, most everything still has electric guitars, and it's still rock and roll, it's just not the type of rock and roll you expect to hear from Idlewild. This is one of the first times where I think the comparisons they used to get to REM actually seems to stick, as the song blueprints kinda do remind me of them (but still don't really sound like that either). It's hard to explain, but you'll know what I mean when you hear it. Looking at most people who've gotten this early release's impressions, seemed like everyone was a bit shocked or didn't know what to think at first, and then it sunk in. I personally haven't been able to get 3 or 4 of the tracks out of my head for the last few days!

It's the first Idlewild album since Hope Is Important where the first track isn't either my favorite track on the album, or one of the absolute best songs on the album. The second and third tracks seem to make up for that though, as they're both my present favorites and two of the catchiest pop songs the band has written.

There are a few tracks that sorta have the same general vibe as Roddy's solo album, which I think is a good thing. The title track is pretty damn cool. There's another poppy song that honestly sounds like nothing the band has ever done, it was sorta messed with my head the first time I heard it. Oddly, the "most Idlewild-ish sounding" tracks on the album are some of my least favorite tracks at this point.

In the tradition of The Bronze Medal, In Remote Part, and Finished It Remains, the album's closing track is absolutely stunning. It builds and builds, and you expect it to finally explode like In Remote Part or Finished It Remains, but it surprises you instead. It's extremely satisfying, fitting in regards to the album title, and a beautiful song.

To finally get back to Digi's simple question as to whether or not it's good stuff... Of course it is, it's Idlewild.

this is interesting. your reviews are always good, which leaves me very interested to hear this album. thanks for the detailed response.

finally got an email saying this is being released. its on amazon.co.uk on oct. 5 for 8.88 pounds. on amazon.com for nearly $43 in November.

of course i am going to get it from the uk. after having it for a few months what is your feeling?

The Remote Part is 20 years old today.

Getting old is weird.

Last edited:
I'm rarely on Twitter, but I did cross paths with your tweet about this. Need to go back and listen to their entire catalog.

Been listening to The Remote Part. Oh my god - those guitars! All of it sounds so good. :heart:

:up:

You've still got excellent taste, which is no freaking surprise.

Had a lot of fun looking through some of these 20 year old threads recently and seeing so many still familiar names. I hope everyone is still doing great.

Once or twice I've gone back through the Sigur Rós thread and read all the posts from its heyday. So many good memories. I hope everyone is doing well too.

Listening to Idlewild prompted me to go back and listen to People in Planes. I don't think their two major records have aged as well for me (compared to Idlewild), but I enjoyed them. I was into some noisy rock music back then.

This thread always makes me think that way back then I wanted to check this band out since people I liked were listening to them and then I never did...

I think it would still be worthwhile for you to check them out, if you have the time. Start with The Remote Part, and if you like that, work your way back to 100 Broken Windows or forward to Warnings/Promises. Their music still sounds fresh to me, as long as you're in the mood for their type of rock.

When I think about it, this band was super important to me back in the day. I don't know if I shared this story anywhere, but I had asked my husband at the time to listen to In Remote Part/Scottish Fiction. He said he didn't understand why I loved it so much, and in that moment, I knew our relationship wasn't long for this world.

Back
Top Bottom