madonna vs u2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

allbecauseofu2

Refugee
well not really vs each other. My gf had madonna on the other day . It occured to me that they had alot in common. From the 80's. been around 3 decades , had same amount of albums, same lead singer . But also had many ups and downs. Like how alot of people soured on thier last albums. (commericaly and criticaly). They also have thier apperent copy cat artists. (gaga and coldplay). They have been loved and hated. Sometimes at the same time. Both more or less have never been completely off the rader . (not seeing a madonna/u2 package tour at ampitheaters with 20 dollar lawn seats anytime soon). I should have respect for madonna lasting this long if im gonna respect u2 for the same thing. no? yes?

same lead singer? madonna's a solo artist, that makes no sense. nloth wasn't a strong seller compared to their past two albums (though i'd argue with the climate today it sold well, especially without a big hit) but it wasn't a flop with critics. even looking at mdna's reviews it hasn't been raked over the coals. its aggregate score isn't much lower than nloth's, though neither are considered to have mixed reviews.

using this criteria, you could compare any two artists who have managed to stay huge for decades.

well not really vs each other. My gf had madonna on the other day . It occured to me that they had alot in common. From the 80's. been around 3 decades , had same amount of albums, same lead singer . But also had many ups and downs. Like how alot of people soured on thier last albums. (commericaly and criticaly). They also have thier apperent copy cat artists. (gaga and coldplay). They have been loved and hated. Sometimes at the same time. Both more or less have never been completely off the rader . (not seeing a madonna/u2 package tour at ampitheaters with 20 dollar lawn seats anytime soon). I should have respect for madonna lasting this long if im gonna respect u2 for the same thing. no? yes?

picard-face-palm.gif

While I am a big fan of Madonna and a huge fan of U2, U2 still wins for me. They still continue to kick ass musically and touring-wise. Madonna's another touring powerhouse but her tickets are much more expensive and she has faced plenty of controversy and backlash recently. Her albums have gotten somewhat crappier over the years as well.

For me, U2 wins, even if they are in a whole different category.

too bad we can't get that package tour. i would love to see this site's set list partys if madonna played first.

well thanks to the power of dvd i can just pretend. having my gf watch 360 rose bowl and then sticky and sweet dvds.

How about Madonna vs Elton John instead? It's a fairer comparison since they're both solo artists and it could be a real knock-down drag-out battle since they seem to despise each other. Whose weave would come off first?

i saw it as more a battle of the 80s . But also u2 and madonna have been around for about the same time. Sure elton john is a good comparison as well. But he has over 10 years on her so you gotta do alot more adjusting for time (where madonna was in 1993 is like asking where elton was in 1979. ). u2 and madonnas debuts are only 3 years apart (80/83) And by the the end of the 80s both were superstars. So they kinda sync up better after that . They also happen to have the same amount of studio records. (12) . So who had the better 7th record? AB vs ray of light. And if anyone knows anything about ray of light , you should relize thats a great comparison. But i do wish i had thought of bonos guitar playing vs madonnas.

Back
Top Bottom