Madonna appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Officials in London are repeatedly telling Madonna to finish her show at Hyde Park tomorrow before the (ridiculous, but understandable) 10:30 curfew, or they're gonna pull the plug like they did with Bruce Springsteen on Saturday. She has been starting every show on the tour at around 10 PM.

Madonna told the plug will be pulled if she over-runs gig

Madonna was today warned she will be cut off just like Bruce Springsteen if she over-runs a strict curfew when she plays Hyde Park.
The singer, 53, is set to perform before 50,000 fans tomorrow night in her first appearance in England for four years. But she has been told not to over-run the 10.30pm curfew after the plug was pulled on Springsteen as he duetted with Paul McCartney in front of a sell-out 80,000-crowd on Saturday.
John Probyn, chief operating officer of Live Nation, said: 'It won’t happen again. We’ve had lengthy conversations with Madonna’s people. They contacted us. We’ve worked out with them what time she needs to go on stage to finish on time. That’s all in hand.'
Asked whether the plug would be pulled on Madonna if she were to run over, Mr Probyn said: 'Yes. We’d have no choice. We are effectively breaking the law if we carry on. There’s not a lot we can do. She will finish on time.'
Westminster council today revealed it received one complaint about the noise from Springsteen’s gig on Saturday night, with a second yesterday.
The council, which has cut the maximum number of concerts in Hyde Park from 13 to nine from next year, said Springsteen had not breached its 75 decibel maximum. Last night Paul Simon also stayed within the sound limit, though many concert goers complained the music was not loud enough - a complaint of many who attended the Springsteen gig.
Police concerns about the need to evacuate the crowd via Hyde Park Corner were behind the decision to cut the sound before 10.40pm as Springsteen and McCartney sang Twist and Shout.
Springsteen said 'I’ve waited for this moment for 50 years' as he introduced the ex-Beatle to the crowd. Guitarist Steve Van Zandt tweeted afterwards: 'Is there just too much fun in the world? We would have been off by 11 if we’d done one more. On a Saturday night! Who were we disturbing?'
A Westminster spokeswoman said: 'These time limits are a compromise between the interests of the organisers on one hand and local residents on the other, and are put in place for a reason - to get people out safely and to minimise disruption for residents.'
Mark Field, Conservative MP for Cities of London and Westminster, said: 'It’s a matter of getting the right balance. There have been a number of occasions where these concerts have over-run and I think it’s right that the organisers decided to put their foot down and pull the plug.'

Madonna told the plug will be pulled on her just like Springsteen if she over-runs during Hyde Park gig - London - News - Evening Standard

The shows have been starting at 10:00? That's ridiculous.

/old

across in europe it's ranged from 10-10.20pm

I was in HP and she came on just in time to play the whole show.

a fun night out if you know MDNA and were in the gold circle. rather less so if you don't and for those half a mile away in GA where the sound was too quiet and couldn't see what was going on

/old

True. With a curfew like that in the UK, Madonna doesn't even need to start because the concert will be over for her and the audience in no time.

I still find the Springsteen/McCartney thing ridiculous, but if Madonna really decides to start at 10 despite all the warnings and after the Springsteen fiasco, I have to say that it's her own fault if she gets unplugged.

And what's the news about Madonna cancelling the Australian tour? I read it today. What's that all about?

No damn clue. After announcing back in February that the tour was officially going Down Under, I guess she decided to end the tour in Latin America and not extend it into 2013. That's another snub, I feel really bad for the Aussies. So much promising and now she's not going. They waited for her return since her first visit in 1993. Wonder what's the excuse this time. :shrug:

Madonna performed a very special, yet intimate (and extremely short) performance of the MDNA Tour at Paris' L'Olympia tonight - a 2,700 seat theater. The show was broadcasted on YouTube to millions globally. Fans paid ticket prices that ranged from €89.50 ($110 USD) up to €266.00 ($326 USD) - Madonna performed two 'sections' that are featured in her MDNA Tour, and also two songs that are not in the MDNA Tour setlist.

Turn Up The Radio
Open Your Heart
Masterpiece
--Justify My Love Interlude--
Vogue
Candy Shop / Erotica (mashup)
Human Nature
Beautiful Killer / Die Another Day (mashup)**
J T'aime, Moi Non Plus**

** - Not in the MDNA Tour setlist
In my opinion, the fans were snubbed. It's really difficult to transfer a full show of the MDNA Tour from large indoor and outdoor venues to a 2,700 seat theater, completely understandable, but the fans in attendance expected it. Madonna was having a blast, though. The show only lasted 50 minutes - a pocket show, mini-show, whatever you call it. Fans stayed booing, yelling and insulting her after the show abruptly ended. Basically, in my opinion, too short. She continues to lose many followers, it seems. But at times, who cares about what Twitter says. :shrug:

The mashup of Die Another Day & Beautiful Killer:
Madonna Beautiful Killer Die Another Day (Olympia, Paris) - YouTube
J T'aime, Moi Non Plus (cover of a famous French song):
Madonna - Je T'aime, Moi Non Plus(Live in Paris Olympia) HQ - YouTube

In my opinion, the fans were snubbed. It's really difficult to transfer a full show of the MDNA Tour from large indoor and outdoor venues to a 2,700 seat theater, completely understandable, but the fans in attendance expected it. Madonna was having a blast, though. The show only lasted 50 minutes - a pocket show, mini-show, whatever you call it. Fans stayed booing, yelling and insulting her after the show abruptly ended. Basically, in my opinion, too short. She continues to lose many followers, it seems. But at times, who cares about what Twitter says. :shrug:

Went to this show. Slightly mixed feelings on it - what she did was quite outstanding and the best atmosphere ever for a Madonna show (the place was rammed with the die-hards). The floor was physically shaking during Turn Up The Radio & BK. Had she gone on and done (say) the last section from the MDNA tour it would probably have been untouchable as the best Madonna show I'll ever go to.

As for the booing, there was a slightly political element to that as there clearly were a few people in there to protest after her Stade de France show (which Madonna's PR has clearly latched on to post gig). That said, it was definitely triggered IMO by the brevity of the set and while nobody expected a full 2 hours, it would not have hurt her to have done 70-75 minutes. Was a really uncomfortable exit from the venue.

cdparky said:
Went to this show. Slightly mixed feelings on it - what she did was quite outstanding and the best atmosphere ever for a Madonna show (the place was rammed with the die-hards). The floor was physically shaking during Turn Up The Radio & BK. Had she gone on and done (say) the last section from the MDNA tour it would probably have been untouchable as the best Madonna show I'll ever go to.

As for the booing, there was a slightly political element to that as there clearly were a few people in there to protest after her Stade de France show (which Madonna's PR has clearly latched on to post gig). That said, it was definitely triggered IMO by the brevity of the set and while nobody expected a full 2 hours, it would not have hurt her to have done 70-75 minutes. Was a really uncomfortable exit from the venue.

I agree that the atmosphere in the Olympia looked amazingly energetic, loads of die-hards. Also agree that she could have done other sections of the show, or a different setlist.

Madonna posted a statement that there were a few 'thugs' in the crowd, later what seem to have been Marine Le Pen supporters who yelled insults and threw bottles. And yes, more than an hour would have been better. Especially for those ticket prices. All she had to do was add Express Yourself, Like A Prayer and Celebration, and it would have been a hell of a club show!

/old

I can't believe I'd forgotten that I'd already known this! Ha.

Saw her last night. She came on at 10:30, which meant that I was fading halfway through the show. I'm still trying to formulate feelings about it. My initial reaction was that I was a little underwhelmed or disappointed, but that's in part colored by my not liking the new album that much, and being so friggin' tired by halfway through the show.

But, still - I'm thrilled to have finally seen her.

And wow, that opening section was really violent.

Yeah, at least I was forewarned, and a lot of other people seemed to know. But there were a lot of people who thought she was late. One coworker said "the venue's site and the ticket said 8:00!"

I know she goes to concerts - she should know by now never to trust that start time on the ticket.

Danny Boy - she flashed her fishnet and thong covered ass.

Seems like that 10:00-10:30 start time is the official start time for her shows. I'm very jealous that you got to see her! What was your favorite part of the show (unless you don't remember because you were fading out?) :wink:

I had read that it was her first show in Seattle in 25 years. Now that's a very long time.

Yeah, she commented about it being the 30th anniversary of a Seattle show. I didn't catch that it had been her ONLY Seattle show. I know she's hit Vancouver BC on the last few tours.

Highlight was probably Like a Prayer (at least she got us up and dancing at the end of the show before setting us free to start the slog home), followed by Give Me All Your Luvin', because that drumline suspended in mid-air was freaking awesome.

corianderstem said:
Yeah, she commented about it being the 30th anniversary of a Seattle show. I didn't catch that it had been her ONLY Seattle show. I know she's hit Vancouver BC on the last few tours.

Highlight was probably Like a Prayer (at least she got us up and dancing at the end of the show before setting us free to start the slog home), followed by Give Me All Your Luvin', because that drumline suspended in mid-air was freaking awesome.

While I've seen videos only, Like A Prayer seems to be the main highlight of every show. The crowd just goes insane, and she just has a great time performing it. That Like A Prayer + Celebration combo ends the show on a high note, for sure, though Celebration is a hardly known track to many. And yes, the drumline in the air looks amazing. The stage itself is one hell of a production, being suited for indoor venues.

I'm gonna have to find a ticket and book a trip to the States or Latin America before the tour ends. :wink:

Oh, NICE.

One of my friends in the LA area got picked for the Golden Triangle at last night's show, so he drove up there. He's been one of the biggest Madonna fans I've ever known. Happy for him. :)

I can empathize, but it's such a big part of the show I can't see it being remotely realistic to completely rework the first set for one city.

The MDNA Tour is over. Madonna gave her 88th and last performance last night in Cordoba, Argentina. The last two shows of this tour have been some of the weirdest, with weather and equipment taking a toll on the show.

- During the penultimate show in Santiago, Chile - the first section of the show (the violent section) was not performed due to the torrential rain. When the rain stopped, she started the show with 'Express Yourself' and 'Give Me All Your Luvin' at 11:30 PM.

Madonna en Chile 2012 - Express Yourself ( Born This Way) & Give Me All Your Lovin´ - YouTube

- During the last show in Cordoba, Argentina - the generators used failed, causing a power outage in the stadium for about 45-50 minutes (it was during 'Open Your Heart')

I think this will be Madonna's last big tour - with all of the controversies and stuff (especially her late starts), I don't see her going back on the road soon. I hope to be wrong, though.

more weirdness- during the soundcheck at Chile she had a go at someone in the audience smoking, the following show she sat on stage and had a smoke...and the power went out- unfortnately it was the road crews fault so imagine they incurred her wrath afterwards

I'm a fan and I think she's behaved badly at times- especially with the late starts and then cutting the show at Chile (I don't see how the rest of the show was do-able in the rain but the first segment wasn't??)- then there was the Paris club gig fiasco...empty seats at the Miami shows that were filmed (due to late start)

I was at the show in Edinburgh and she knew at the soundcheck about the curfew- rather than coming on 15 minutes earlier she cut 2 or 3 songs from the show...

unfortunately she sold herself to Evil Nation and the deal includes 4 tours- thus far she's at least 2 of them- no-one is sure whether S&S2 counts as a tour or not-

so Madonna has to tour once or twice more between now and 2017- I agree I don't see her doing another 88 show tour in one year again

more weirdness- during the soundcheck at Chile she had a go at someone in the audience smoking, the following show she sat on stage and had a smoke...and the power went out- unfortnately it was the road crews fault so imagine they incurred her wrath afterwards

I'm a fan and I think she's behaved badly at times- especially with the late starts and then cutting the show at Chile (I don't see how the rest of the show was do-able in the rain but the first segment wasn't??)- then there was the Paris club gig fiasco...empty seats at the Miami shows that were filmed (due to late start)

I was at the show in Edinburgh and she knew at the soundcheck about the curfew- rather than coming on 15 minutes earlier she cut 2 or 3 songs from the show...

unfortunately she sold herself to Evil Nation and the deal includes 4 tours- thus far she's at least 2 of them- no-one is sure whether S&S2 counts as a tour or not-

so Madonna has to tour once or twice more between now and 2017- I agree I don't see her doing another 88 show tour in one year again

Yeah, she was a bad girl throughout most of the MDNA Tour. I'm predicting her next tour will be like Drowned World - arenas only, limited markets, no South America and a return visit to Australia, and hopefully shows starting before 10:00-11:30. If the show started earlier, many more fans would have appreciated the show more instead of backlashing her. MDNA is a great show, not as amazing as DWT, Confessions, Blond Ambition, etc.

I think this will be Madonna's last big tour - with all of the controversies and stuff (especially her late starts), I don't see her going back on the road soon. I hope to be wrong, though.

She's got 2 more tours on the Live Nation contract before the end of 2017, so she will be back out on the road in either 2014, or if not then 2015 at the latest.

As for the late starts, I'd love to know where this has come from. Pre S&S she was always on time - taking "on time" as starting at a time where she can hit the curfew for the venue, pretty standard practise for everyone on tour (this time out in London & Zurich where the plug would have been pulled for any over-run she actually managed to start on time).

Back
Top Bottom