Madonna appreciation thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't tell you how much I love the Confessions Tour DVD.

I have to admit, it was the first thing played in my new stereo last year .... not anything by U2. And it sounded AMAZING.

Live to Tell = my favorite Madonna song.

I was always a sucker for the beginning of Material World, too.

Open Your Heart to Me is another favorite.

That's all I have to say for now.

corianderstem said:
I can't tell you how much I love the Confessions Tour DVD.

I have to admit, it was the first thing played in my new stereo last year .... not anything by U2. And it sounded AMAZING.

She really outdid herself on that tour. She puts on a damn good show. What were your favorite performances on it?

Live To Tell- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aksk6zbGyrw

Isaac- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExZzhAN-pQU

Forbidden Love- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_v1Mz9F10I

Drowned World/Substitute For Love-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISmOoVLhD7Y ( I thought she sounded and looked so amazing and vulnerable there. The simplicity is what made it so awesome)

I love every performance, but those are awesome.

My ultimate favorite from "Confessions", though... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9HhdB1QSoM&feature=related "Let It Will Be" isn't the best quality here, but she frickin' rocked that performance. I loved the rock quality in her voice there.:drool:

Last edited:
I think the only one I didn't like was Live To Tell. I didn't find the cross thing offensive or anything like that, but I found it silly and a was actually a little embarrassed for her.

corianderstem said:
I think the only one I didn't like was Live To Tell. I didn't find the cross thing offensive or anything like that, but I found it silly and a was actually a little embarrassed for her.

I liked it, but I really loved the way she incorporate the AIDS statistics and the chapter from Matthew at the end. It fit in beautifully with the song.

Yeah, that stuff was fine. It was the "hi, I'm singing from a giant disco ball cross" part that was bad.

Favorite Songs
Rain
Oh Father
This Used To Be My Playground
Take A Bow
Jump
Deeper And Deeper
Live To Tell
Frozen
...among others!

Favorite Music Videos
Vogue!!!!!
Express Yourself
Like A Prayer
You'll See
This Used To Be My Playground :drool:
Bedtime Story
Ray Of Light

corianderstem said:
Yeah, that stuff was fine. It was the "hi, I'm singing from a giant disco ball cross" part that was bad.

I agree, but I think she needed to be that provacative in order to draw people's attention to the magnitude of the issue. She really explained herself well in the sense that she said she was trying to communicate the message that we all need to "be" Jesus, in the sense of carrying for the poor, the sick, the hungry etc, Could she have gone about it in a slightly different way? I think so, but I appulad her for having the courage to take that risk, regardless.

Re: Re: Madonna appreciation thread!

Zootlesque said:
Favorite Songs
Rain
Oh Father
This Used To Be My Playground
Take A Bow
Jump
Deeper And Deeper
Live To Tell
Frozen
...among others!

Favorite Music Videos
Vogue!!!!!
Express Yourself
Like A Prayer
You'll See
This Used To Be My Playground :drool:
Bedtime Story
Ray Of Light

All of those are awesome, however this thread is worthless without videos.:wink:

Favorite Songs Top 10

1. Live To Tell
2. Swim
3. Drowned World/Substitute For Love
4. Oh Father
5. Rain
6. Nothing Fails
7. Promise To Try
8. Bad Girl
9. What It Feels Like For A Girl
10 . Spanish Eyes/Inside of Me

I thought she looked awesome during the Like a Prayer time. The dark hair looked great on her.

I prefer the Madonna version of Evita because I can sing along to the songs in the lower keys she used. :wink:

corianderstem said:
I thought she looked awesome during the Like a Prayer time. The dark hair looked great on her.

I agree. She looks great as a blonde, but the dark hair really suits her. See the post "American Life" period when she had it brown again for awhile. She looked awesome.

It's hard for me to rank the albums, but I think Like A Prayer one of the best pop albums of the 80's, holding up much better than Thriller (and lyrically far superior) and I think Ray of Light and Music are both as good as anything she's ever done. Erotica is very underrated, and I'm amazed at how undated most of Bedtime Stories still sounds. American Life, not so much.

Standout songs that come to mind (chron. order):

Into the Groove
Dress You Up
Dear Jessie
Live to Tell
Promise to Try
Cherish
Keep it Together
Oh Father
Erotica
Rain
Where Life Begins
Survival
Secret
Human Nature
Substitute For Love
Ray of Light
The Power of Goodbye
Little Star
I Deserve It
Nobody's Perfect
Don't Tell Me
What It Feels Like For A Girl
Gone
Hollywood
Nothing Fails
X-Static Process
Hung Up
Push
Get Together
Jump

I really like American Life, even with that craptastic rap bit in the middle. The rest of the song is awesome enough to overcome that part.

lazarus said:
It's hard for me to rank the albums, but I think Like A Prayer one of the best pop albums of the 80's, and I think Ray of Light and Music are both as good as anything she's ever done. Erotica is very underrated, and I'm amazed at how undated most of Bedtime Stories still sounds.

Standout songs that come to mind (chron. order):

Into the Groove
Dress You Up
Dear Jessie
Live to Tell
Promise to Try
Cherish
Keep it Together
Oh Father
Erotica
Rain
Where Life Begins
Survival
Secret
Human Nature
Substitute For Love
Ray of Light
The Power of Goodbye
Little Star
I Deserve It
Nobody's Perfect
Don't Tell Me
What It Feels Like For A Girl
Gone
Hollywood
Nothing Fails
X-Static Process
Hung Up
Push
Get Together
Jump

I agree with everything you just said. "Ray of Light" is a masterpiece. It's my favorite. She was at the top of her game as a lyricist, and a vocalist. "American Life" is my second favorite album. It's criminally underrated and misunderstood. "Like A Prayer" was her "Joshua Tree" in the sense that it took her to a higher level and is what made her a legend. "Bedtime Stories" and "Erotica" are both underrated as well. "Music" and "COADF" are great also. "True Blue" was a great throwback to old-school pop, and "Madonna" was a fantastic dance/pop debut. I love a lot of the songs on "Like A Virgin", but overall it's her weakest album.

I have to admit, I don't care for Bedtime Stories or Erotica. They just do nothing for me, other than a couple of standout songs on each. I do quite like American Prayer, though.

I recently finally picked up copies of her first three albums, just for the sake of being a completist. :wink: I'd forgotten about a lot of those non-singles, and some of them are pretty good.

I remember practically wearing out her 1st LP when it came out I played it so much. Some of my favorite songs when they were released... Borderline, Lucky Star, Into the Groove, Live to Tell. Crazy for You & Love Don't Live Here Anymore = :drool:

corianderstem said:
I really like American Life, even with that craptastic rap bit in the middle. The rest of the song is awesome enough to overcome that part.

I think a lot of people don't realize what she was trying to do with the rap bit. I remember hearing her say in an interview around the time the song/album came out that the rap was actually supposed to sound ridiculous because she was satirizing the hip-hop culture that brags about all of their material posessions as though they're all that matters in life. It wasn't meant to be taken as a serious attempt. I remember her saying she wasn't one to talk considering she had a song called "Material Girl", but apparently she's not a big fan of that song anymore. The only reason she performed it over "Dress You Up" on the Re-Invention tour was because she had an easier time learning the guitar part for it. It's a shame because I'd love to hear "Dress You Up" now. I hope she adds it to the setlist on the next tour.

She can defend the rap part and say the ridiculousness was intentional until she's blue in the face, but it doesn't erase its ridiculousness. (I think it's fairly obvious that she's not trying to get respect as an actual rapper.)

I still love it, though. And the rap makes it all the more fun to sing at karaoke. :wink:

bonocomet said:
I remember practically wearing out her 1st LP when it came out I played it so much. Some of my favorite songs when they were released... Borderline, Lucky Star, Into the Groove, Live to Tell. Crazy for You & Love Don't Live Here Anymore = :drool:

That must've been awesome. I would've loved to have been around during the mid-80s Madonna craze, but, alas, I was not born until '88'.:sigh:

corianderstem said:
I have to admit, I don't care for Bedtime Stories or Erotica. They just do nothing for me, other than a couple of standout songs on each.

Prude.

MadonnaSex.jpg
madonnasex.jpg

I was 11 when Like a Virgin came out, and I bought the 45. I remember my mom saying something like, "I don't know that I like you listening to that song."

I rolled my eyes and said, :tsk: "Moooom, I don't listen to it for the lyrics."

Which was mostly true. :wink:

(Thank god she never really listened to those Prince records I had. :uhoh: )

Laz, would it help if I said I found Madonna totally hot (although lately she could stand to have a little more body fat)????

Bedtime Stories bores me.

Back
Top Bottom