Madonna appreciation thread! - Page 18 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2009, 02:09 PM   #256
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:14 AM
The DVD is definitely essential; is there anyone who made that many great videos? And most of them still hold up.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:21 PM   #257
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
The DVD is definitely essential; is there anyone who made that many great videos? And most of them still hold up.
I'm not getting into an argument because I know you're not a fan, but I think Michael Jackson bests Madonna in the music video department, at least for some of the biggest ones. I'd actually rank them even in the music vid department, but "Thriller" and "Smooth Criminal" give him the edge in my book.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #258
Blue Crack Supplier

Well, he's definitely known as a video pioneer, but while some have stood the test of time and remain very impressive, some are rather over the top and more memorable than "good". The other thing is that Madonna has been more prolific in terms of making music, which is why I was trying to say she made the most great ones, not necessarily the best (though I personally believe they are).

I also think if you consider the multitude of social messages found in Madonna's videos, and the way they've been used express her various viewpoints and interests over the years, she's utilized the medium in more diverse and more interesting ways than any other artist, by far.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #259
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:14 AM
Madonna has so many great songs that this should have been a full blown box set with all the major hits and choice album cuts, and then a disc of rarities/outtakes (if there are any). Then add the DVD and some other nice extras, and you've got as good a career overview as possible.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #260
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:14 AM
Quote:
Well, he's definitely known as a video pioneer, but while some have stood the test of time and remain very impressive, some are rather over the top and more memorable than "good". The other thing is that Madonna has been more prolific in terms of making music, which is why I was trying to say she made the most great ones, not necessarily the best (though I personally believe they are).

I also think if you consider the multitude of social messages found in Madonna's videos, and the way they've been used express her various viewpoints and interests over the years, she's utilized the medium in more diverse and more interesting ways than any other artist, by far.
This is true. I think "Like A Prayer" was the first time she did that, using it to get a social message across that is, and I've never understood why it was so controversial at the time. I mean, I understand the arguments given for the controversy, but they were all based on a misunderstanding of the message anyway.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:50 PM   #261
Blue Crack Distributor

Agree with laz re: MJ vs Madonna videos.

I'll buy this Greatest Hits because:

a) I'm a sucker

b) I want the new songs

c) I think there are one or two songs on this comp that I don't have in my collection, so yay.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:10 PM   #262
Blue Crack Supplier

It should also be noted that the songs have all been remastered, which is another plus.

And people are already selling the 2CD set for around $10 on amazon. Not bad. That tracklisting is one of the more formidable list of singles I've ever seen. Is there anyone other than The Beatles who could boast more hits?
Old 10-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #263
Blue Crack Addict

Elvis is the only other one that comes to mind.
Old 10-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #264
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah, he had a lot, and there are some great ones, but overall it doesn't impress me very much compared to Madonna's diverse set.

Plus, you know, he didn't write ANY of it.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:05 PM   #265
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Well, since this is the Madonna "appreciation" thread, I'm gonna say that I really have liked Madonna's last several albums. I see no competition between Madonna and the other female pop acts like Christina and Shitney. Madonna, as always, is in a class by herself. Madonna is just being herself like she has always been for the last 25 years as a pop Megastar. She isn't looking to emulate Shitney, Christina or anyone else.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #266
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Yeah, he had a lot, and there are some great ones, but overall it doesn't impress me very much compared to Madonna's diverse set.

Plus, you know, he didn't write ANY of it.
Doesn't impress me as much either; just noting that fact, which is undeniable.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:11 PM   #267
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPryck2U View Post
Shitney
So clever.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:36 PM   #268
Blue Crack Supplier

I read that as "Shirley", and wasn't sure if it was in reference to Temple or Manson.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:01 PM   #269
Blue Crack Distributor

madonna lives a block away from me now.

seriously.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #270
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:14 PM
Quote:

I agree. I think that a good example of that is the "Express Yourself" video. With a few updates, this Fincher's masterpiece could easily be released on the music channels today and would still blow away most of today's pop music videos.

Another example of that is the "Erotica" and "Justify My Love" videos. Controversial? Sure. But, what's the difference between the sex-overture in those videos and the sex-exploitation of today's pop music videos? On Madonna's case there was a very strong artistic concept, currencies and scenario behind it, which doesn't these days. These two videos would still be shocking and banned if released today.

I think that what makes the difference between MJ's and Madonna's videos is that MJ's videos are memorable mostly because of certain images, certain moves/choreographies (sometimes some messages, yeah, but not what firstly stays in the mind). In Madonna's case, her videos are memorable because of the messages that were almost always pretty strong (then, controversial) and because of certain imagetics/personnas she's been creating and undressing.

Tags
madonna