M83

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2popmofo

Blue Meth Addict
Ok, I was hesitant to check them out because of how much Pitchfork liked them (Pitchforks reviews tend to be hit and miss for me). I finally decided maybe I should check them out because I'd seen a few people here liked them too (Basstrap, etc).

I'm not even halfway through the album yet and I already know this is probably the next thing I'm going to buy. I'm very impressed :up:

I know nothing about them, please teach me.

I liked "Run Into Flowers" instantly and have listened to it heaps over the past few weeks. The rest of the tracks will take a bit more getting used to, at least for me.

Jack In The Box said:
Ok, recommend me songs to download...

Hmm, hard to say. I've only listened to the album all the way through twice. The Basstrapper would be much more qualified than I to make such a judgement.

It also seems like the type of album whose music makes a bigger impact in 'album' form to me (because it is an 'electronic' album whose music predominantly features keyboards and is void of what you would normally refer to as 'lyrics').

I'll direct you to some album reviews though:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&uid=UIDCASS70311061519492201&sql=A8fy67ul030jk

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/m/m83/dead-cities-red-seas-and-lost-ghosts.shtml

my faves are

Unrecorded
Run Into Flowers

But they are all very very good

the tone is so warm...very fulfilling experience

Well, I picked the disc up today finally. (I like how I said it would be the next thing I buy 7 months ago....)

Not sure how many of you know, but the US release came out about a month ago. It included a bonus disc that looks like your average bonus at first sight (5 songs, 2 videos). Upon putting the bonus disc in tonight, I realized it contained about 43 mins of music!!! I really dig all the stuff on the bonus disc too, particularly 'Tsubasa' and 'God of Thunder'.

Here's the bonus disc track listing:

1. Tsubasa
2. God of Thunder
3. In Church (Cyann & Ben Version)
4. Gone (Live)
5. Dead Cities, Red Seas, & Lost Ghosts

Run Into Flowers (video)
America (video)

Anyways, very glad I finally got this. I havent heard any of the songs from the album in a long time (deleted them knowing I'd buy it sooner or later), so it's really hitting the spot. :up:

Ok, question - they are coming through here soon, and I'm wondering what they're like live. Has anyone seen them?

There's a live version of 'Gone' on the bonus disc of the US release of Dead Cities. It's really great. I imagine the show would be just as good.

Ulrich Schnauss is opening for M83 on tour, I honestly like his most recent album more than M83's most recent. Really a fantastic billing, I wish they were coming closer. I'd totally go if I was you!

have we figured out if it's m-eight-three or m-eightythree yet?

IWasBored said:
have we figured out if it's m-eight-three or m-eightythree yet?

:lol:
3 years later and I just had this discussion with Cujo this week. I still don't know, I say it as M-eight-three.

Their new album, Saturdays = Youth, is out this coming Tuesday (April 15, a present for tax day!), and I'm extremely excited for it. M83 can almost do no wrong for me, I even liked Digital Shades (vol. 1) quite a bit. Yet again, Saturdays = Youth is supposed to have a sound in a different direction than they've done before, but still be M83. The two singles from it have been absolutely killer. Give them both a listen:

Couleurs (stream)

Graveyard Girl (music video)

61iteYXdRoL._SS500_.jpg

^ beautiful is too little for that record, is beyond that

it's funny, in my previous replies on this thread I did't know a thing about M83, now is one of my favorite bands/projects

Im really enjoying the new album
Saturdays = Youth

Some beautiful songs here
Cool album title too.

Another good recommendation by the folks at B & C

I really like Skin of the Night

Also Kim & Jessie & Couleurs are great

Very haunting, atmospheric, beautiful songs.

The whole album is getting better with each listen.
Seems like a very cohesive album

Good choices, my friend. :up:

A couple that haven't been mentioned that I also really enjoy are 'We Own the Sky' and 'Dark Moves Of Love'.

Oh, and I would say the same of both Before the Dawn Heals Us and Dead Cities, Red Seas, and Lost Ghosts, neither of which (having first been purchased when they were first released) I've been able to listen to from front to back in one sitting more than maybe three or four times each. Definitely a song band, for me. Saw them live for a few bucks in Chicago, immediately before/just as that first record blew up, and it was...all right. Not too subtle or varied, but the strong songs remained strong, so it was certainly worth $8, or whatever.

OK, so what's the over/under on Kim & Jessie becoming a surprise hit when it's released as a single next month? That's a damn fine song, and the catchiest thing on the new record.

OK, so what's the over/under on Kim & Jessie becoming a surprise hit when it's released as a single next month? That's a damn fine song, and the catchiest thing on the new record.

It really is a great song. I get that little guitar part in my head all the time. To my ears, it's one of the best songs this year, and best albums this year. :up:

PS - I take back the fart knocker comment.

:wink:

PS - I take back the fart knocker comment.

:wink:

You meant well. Just wanted to get me moving in the right direction. :D

I'm extremely excited about this record, definitely. I hear a Kevin Shields influence in parts, but it's tempered with some very catchy melodies and very retro instrumentation. Great stuff.

Your assessment seems spot on. He's admitted to a love of MBV and shoegaze and dream-pop in general for quite some time.....which probably explains my M83 love. :wink:

It is an 80's-tastic album to be sure, and another gem from Anthony Gonzalez, the brains behing M83 (pron. m - eightythree btw)

Trust me, I have to know these things..

Pitchfork TV has just put up a nice live performance video of 'Kim & Jesse' (still easily one of my favorite songs of the year from what is also easily one of my favorite albums of the year!) on their Live In Juan's Basement series. I LOVE his guitar tone in this performance, the "solo" parts at the end sound beautiful.

http://pitchfork.tv/juans-basement/m83-part-1-of-2

He's admitted to a love of MBV and shoegaze and dream-pop in general for quite some time.....which probably explains my M83 love. :wink:

If you watch part 2 of the segment above, Anthony says he had never even listened to MBV until people kept making comparisons after the debut! Surprising stuff.

As a side note, I think this is my first time actually seeing what he looks like. Nothing like I had imagined.

Back
Top Bottom