M83

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What they should do is move up the release date. October 18 is a long way away.

I approve if they did such a thing, but I'm also bummed as the 18th is a few days from my b-day, so I was thinking of the album release as a whole as a birthday present. I've been lovin' this band for over 7 years, guyzez.

Teen Dream, that's what I'm thinking of. I always mix them and Surfer Blood up for some reason.

For me, it's not a matter of being chaste, it's a matter of not knowing how to torrent or where to find downloads (that won't infect my computer with viruses).

I guess since I purchase around 95% of my music, I have purposefully kept myself in the dark and not learned how to download or torrent.

on the "welcome to x number of years ago" front, i got saturdays=youth. yet another band i should have listened to mofo's rants about a long time ago.

(actually, i did sort of listen a long time ago, because i remember playing something on the radio and going hey mofo, is it em-eighty-three, or em-eight-three? i wanna get it right when i list off the songs i just played :nerd: )

Who the hell is leaking these things, anyway? Is it someone at the label? This seems really early even for promo copies to be making the rounds.

Anyway, I never really understood how reading discussion about an album before one hears it could really affect the overall impression, as songs cannot be described accurately. I feel as though there are no spoilers in music. That said, I can see that impressions both favorable and critical might color one's opinion before the first listen.

iron yuppie said:
That said, I can see that impressions both favorable and critical might color one's opinion before the first listen.

That's exactly it. Excessive praise or contempt is going to color your perception of an album whether you realize it or not.

The best way to avoid hype is to listen to an album the moment it leaks. Who's heard it at that point? What critical consensus is there? I don't think I've ever waited until the release date of an album without receiving some notion of the public's opinion. If you want to circumvent that, just download it and buy it later.

In retrospect, had I just downloaded the first leak of Teen Dream before the months and months of hype buried all objective reactions, it probably would have benefited my experience with the record. But hey, if you're not into that, I'll keep up the spoiler tags for the sake of courtesy. Just don't expect to avoid all reactions for 2 months. It's just not possible anymore.

The best way to avoid hype is to listen to an album the moment it leaks. Who's heard it at that point? What critical consensus is there? I don't think I've ever waited until the release date of an album without receiving some notion of the public's opinion. If you want to circumvent that, just download it and buy it later.

In retrospect, had I just downloaded the first leak of Teen Dream before the months and months of hype buried all objective reactions, it probably would have benefited my experience with the record.

While I agree that those of us who frequent review sites and music boards will not be able to escape opinions on a given album, I also think that hearing an album before any consensus is formed will not necessarily make one impervious to future opinions on the matter. Put less verbosely, the praise and/or criticism will influence our opinion of an album sooner or later.

I may be giving myself too much credit, but I think that I am able to shut out much of the hype surrounding albums. When I first heard Merriweather Post Pavilion, for example, I was determined not to like it on account of a senseless contrarianism. As I listened, though, I had to admit that the thing was pretty damn strong. The only consequence of the massive hype surrounding it for me was that I listened all the more attentively, which is always a positive thing, I think.

iron yuppie said:
The only consequence of the massive hype surrounding it for me was that I listened all the more attentively, which is always a positive thing, I think.

This is true for me as well. There are countless records that I've given the benefit of the doubt to because of a positive critical response, and I'm not ashamed to admit that. I've established a number of favorite records in this manner. I also approach some records more harshly because of this (Teen Dream). But, to me, the difference isn't radical enough to shut out opinions prior to listening.

But the hype did effect your opinion of the album, iYup, it just did so negatively. I had the same reaction and hated the album most of the year as a result, but finally came around to it once enough time had passed.

But the hype did effect your opinion of the album, iYup, it just did so negatively. I had the same reaction and hated the album most of the year as a result, but finally came around to it once enough time had passed.

Yeah, it did, but I managed to suppress that negativity enough to hear the album on its own merits (as much as possible), I think. It was a huge effort to do so, but it can be done.

iron yuppie said:
While I agree that those of us who frequent review sites and music boards will not be able to escape opinions on a given album, I also think that hearing an album before any consensus is formed will not necessarily make one impervious to future opinions on the matter. Put less verbosely, the praise and/or criticism will influence our opinion of an album sooner or later.

I may be giving myself too much credit, but I think that I am able to shut out much of the hype surrounding albums. When I first heard Merriweather Post Pavilion, for example, I was determined not to like it on account of a senseless contrarianism. As I listened, though, I had to admit that the thing was pretty damn strong. The only consequence of the massive hype surrounding it for me was that I listened all the more attentively, which is always a positive thing, I think.

senseless contrarianism is why i avoid pitchfork. because I naturally want to hate anything they like.

Finally got a chance to listen to listen to this in full the other day...such a good album. Bit of filler, as can be expected from a double album, but the highs definitely outnumber the lows. Intro, Midnight City, Reunion, Raconte-Moi Histoire, Claudia Lewis, OK Pal, and Steve McQueen are probably my personal faves.

Oh, and Disc One > Disc Two.

I think I had similar faves, and yay! Someone else who likes Raconte-Moi Histoire!!!

I think I had similar faves, and yay! Someone else who likes Raconte-Moi Histoire!!!
update-high-five.gif

I can't decide if I'll listen to it once now, or just wait until next week. Decisions, decisions.

Oh, absolutely buy it. If I had any disposable income whatsoever, I would. The poor Frenchman needs our help.

Back
Top Bottom