M83 - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:06 PM
This is also available to watch on Hulu if you missed it ...

Hulu - Late Night with Conan O'Brien: Tue, Jan 27, 2009 - Watch the full episode now.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #62
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
When you say "downloaded", I hope you mean iTunes. M83 deserve everyone's money.
I didn't realize you were such a champion for paying for music. You need to stop keeing your feelings on this such a secret.

CHAINSAW 4 LYFE

Old 01-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #63
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 12:06 PM
I figure if everyone else can be so callous about the fact they're stealing, I can be the one person saying, "Hey, that's actually pretty lame". With groups I have a massive love for who I know need all the record sales they can get, it does seem to annoy me even more.

CURBSTOMP 187
Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #64
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:06 PM
For those of you who enjoy Graveyard Girl but can't stand the chick talking in the middle of it, look for the Speechless Edit. Because in that version, she's no longer there...

Old 02-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #65
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post
For those of you who enjoy Graveyard Girl but can't stand the chick talking in the middle of it, look for the Speechless Edit. Because in that version, she's no longer there...

Haha, it probably is pretty lame now that you mention it, but I don't mind it as it reminds me of 'Car Chase Terror!'
Old 02-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanan View Post

That is wonderful, wonderful news. Really, I am so happy to hear this. Does this song exist in a physical form, or is it fan-made?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:19 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

I can't figure out if it's official or not. I see it on some blogs, but I can't find any other information about it.

It certainly sounds official. I wonder if it was a promo or something.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:01 PM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Phanan, I'm really sorry for asking this, as I know that Google is my friend, but I have not been able to turn up anything having to do with this song (apart from its being mentioned on a few lists of awesome songs or some playlists, here and there). Can you perhaps take my hand and guide me in the right direction? Like, I'm at a total loss, for a change. Suggestions welcome.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Go here:

Elastic Hrtr™ The noises reasonable people make. » Blog Archive » That Inescapable Year-End List (2008 Edition)

Which is one of those best lists, and M83 is #3, and there is a link for the song there.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Thank you so much. I know that it's not as though you've saved my life, or something, but I just want you to know that I think that was a cool move, on your part. I just couldn't scrounge up anything! So weird. Like, I could only even find a handful of pages which made mention of the blasted song...! Weird stuff. Really, then, thanks. If you ever need any help with anything, just PM me. I owe you one, from here on out!
Old 03-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #71
The Male

So, it's been a couple of years since I last posted in this thread, and I have definitely grown more familiar M83's discography since. I've heard Dead Cities etc, Before The Dawn Heals Us and Saturdays = Youth, the latter two multiple times, while I'm still growing acquainted with Dead Cities. I've gotta say, for better or worse (in spite of the growing dominance of the synth), there is absolutely no band around quite like them. No band with credibility would fill their songs with such pretentious, spacey poetry and bloated arrangements, yet they get away with it because of their baffling scope and the sheer joy their music brings to listeners. Their enthusiasm is truly palpable.

That said, here comes an unpopular opinion: I don't think they've made their masterpiece, or have even come close. The first half of Saturdays = Youth is terrific, but it begins to repeat itself and the songs become less memorable. BTDHU is laughably over the top, and there are only a handful of classics in there, yet the whole record is such a fun listening experience. One of my favorite night records, and probably my favorite by the band. Dead Cities rocks the fuck out and holds up for its (unfortunately bloated) duration, but it's just not as charming as its follow-ups. If M83 were to have released something like this, it would probably be one of my all-time favorite records:

Holy Shit = We Finally Released A Great Album
1. You, Appearing
2. Kim & Jessie
3. Don't Save Us From The Flames
4. Unrecorded
5. 0078h
6. Couleurs
7. Skin Of The Night
8. Safe
9. I Guess I'm Floating
10. Graveyard Girl
11. Run Into Flowers
12. Cyborg
13. Teen Angst

Regardless of their inconsistency, I love their sound enough that I want to keep trying. The debut and Digital Shades are the only ones I still need to hear...are they worthwhile? They haven't received the best reviews, but I'll voluntarily listen to worse new records this year just to look informed.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:20 AM   #72
Blue Meth Addict

I'm admittedly a big fanboy for these guys (well, "him" now, I guess), but I still wouldn't exactly recommend either the self-titled or Digital Shades album. They're both decent for what they are, and are still enjoyable listens as an uberfan, but there's not much on there that's necessary or great. I can see where you're coming from as to the consistency of the albums, and I'd agree about Saturdays and Before the Dawn, but I still love them so much that I can't really fault either too much. I don't think Dead Cities has aged wonderfully, but I still think it's their best overall album.

You didn't include Gone or America in your list of songs. Were they left out because they didn't fit with the others, or are you not a big fan of their of those? They're both pretty high on my list of songs by M83. The live version of Gone on the bonus disc of the US release of Dead Cities is fantastic. * seems like it'd fit in your group of songs there.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:02 AM   #73
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:06 PM
I really enjoyed Saturdays = Youth, its high time I get more into M83.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:37 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:06 AM
I have Before The Dawn Heals Us and Saturdays = Youth (and I love both), but I've never heard Dead Cities.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:10 AM   #75
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
Holy Shit = We Finally Released A Great Album
1. You, Appearing
2. Kim & Jessie
3. Don't Save Us From The Flames
4. Unrecorded
5. 0078h
6. Couleurs
7. Skin Of The Night
8. Safe
9. I Guess I'm Floating
10. Graveyard Girl
11. Run Into Flowers
12. Cyborg
13. Teen Angst
I would be adding Farewell/Goodbye to that list definitely.

Tags
m83