M83 - Page 14 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-22-2011, 11:07 AM   #196
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
purpleoscar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In right wing paranoia
Posts: 7,597
Local Time: 10:15 PM
I think this is the best M83 album. Splendor is amazing.
__________________

__________________
purpleoscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:59 PM   #197
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Danny Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Harvard Supermodel Activist of the Decade Runner-Up
Posts: 9,157
Local Time: 09:15 PM
Well, I bought it. I thought Spotify was going to save me money, but I seem to be buying more albums than ever.
__________________

__________________
Danny Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #198
Refugee
 
bollox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,315
Local Time: 05:15 AM
If you're a M83 fan, I would imagine you'd come to accept/expect a healthy dose of cheesiness and spoken-word stuff by this point. I rather like the Frog Song and even think it's kind of cute. And I hate children.

I believe I read that it's the bassist's daughter doing the vocals on that track (Justin Medel Johnson? formerly played with Beck & NIN)
__________________
bollox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #199
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie
Here is my problem with Raconte, for whatever it's worth. He is already dealing with a theme that has been worn into the ground in at least a million other works from all over the artistic spectrum: the innocence and imagination of childhood. It is already obvious from the album title and cover. Then he feels compelled absolutely to lay the hammer to the listener's head by actually bringing in a little girl to recount a ludicrously saccharine tale. That he needs to resort to such blatant efforts to make his point is indicative of someone who does not trust his own ability to convey his ideas through lyrics or soundscapes. I don't know if he has any kids, but if that happens to be his daughter speaking on the track, it just might elevate it to pinnacle of the maudlin.

But I suppose that you folks know me by now; I just really dislike things that are overly emotional or precious.
I actually am beginning to find the story kind of surreally creepy, even though still adorable, since my brain has now decided that she's talking about one of those frogs that gets you high as fuuuuck.
__________________
bono_212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #200
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212

I actually am beginning to find the story kind of surreally creepy, even though still adorable, since my brain has now decided that she's talking about one of those frogs that gets you high as fuuuuck.
Hahahahahaha this interpretation instantly makes its monologue superior to Graveyard Girl's.

Literal ear rape would have made it better than Graveyard Girl's.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #201
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron yuppie View Post
Here is my problem with Raconte, for whatever it's worth. He is already dealing with a theme that has been worn into the ground in at least a million other works from all over the artistic spectrum: the innocence and imagination of childhood. It is already obvious from the album title and cover. Then he feels compelled absolutely to lay the hammer to the listener's head by actually bringing in a little girl to recount a ludicrously saccharine tale. That he needs to resort to such blatant efforts to make his point is indicative of someone who does not trust his own ability to convey his ideas through lyrics or soundscapes. I don't know if he has any kids, but if that happens to be his daughter speaking on the track, it just might elevate it to pinnacle of the maudlin.

But I suppose that you folks know me by now; I just really dislike things that are overly emotional or precious.
Please remember that the dude is French, and English is faaaaaaar from being his first language. We're lucky this shit sorta makes sense now, and isn't some of the bizarre nonsense included on Before the Dawn Heals Us.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:29 PM   #202
Refugee
 
bollox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,315
Local Time: 05:15 AM
I quite liked the monologue on Graveyard Girl, tho having grown up in the 80s, I would be the target audience for the John Hughesian nostalgia he was trying to evoke.
__________________
bollox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #203
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 09:15 PM
I will read poetry to the stones. Perhaps one day I could be one of them.
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #204
Refugee
 
bollox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,315
Local Time: 05:15 AM
Works much better if you picture it being said by a young Ally Sheedy. Ah.
__________________
bollox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #205
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
iron yuppie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,448
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by u2popmofo View Post
Please remember that the dude is French, and English is faaaaaaar from being his first language. We're lucky this shit sorta makes sense now, and isn't some of the bizarre nonsense included on Before the Dawn Heals Us.
Thanks for reminding me of the existence of Car Chase Terror.

__________________
iron yuppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:51 PM   #206
Blue Meth Addict
 
u2popmofo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas
Posts: 36,961
Local Time: 11:15 PM
Haha. Yeah, that's the exact song I was thinking of. Maybe a cliche comparison, but I sorta always put as much stock in his "lyrics" as I do with My Bloody Valentine. They're there, but have nothing to do with why I like the songs / band.
__________________
u2popmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #207
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 65,816
Local Time: 09:15 PM
HOLY SHIT IT'S A LION GET IN THE CAR BUTTERFLY

i love you mommy
__________________


Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:42 PM   #208
Blue Crack Distributor
 
bono_212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 81,105
Local Time: 09:15 PM
Oh man, Car Chase Terror may be my favorite train wreck of a song ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox
Works much better if you picture it being said by a young Ally Sheedy. Ah.
I actually get what you're saying. Interesting perpective.
__________________
bono_212 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:55 PM   #209
Blue Crack Supplier
 
IWasBored's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 36,505
Local Time: 01:15 AM
i have no idea what you guys are talking about. what i've heard so far didn't have anything that vaguely resembled lyrics i could understand (or care to understand), but then again nothing really sounds too good on my car stereo. plus, i haven't heard the whole thing yet, since the drive from record store to home wasn't long enough to make it from start to finish of the entire thing. or perhaps i just put midnight city on repeat (almost, i listened 4 songs in, then went back to that one for the rest of the drive til i could hear it on non-crappy speakers).
__________________
IWasBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #210
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 10:15 PM
So I ordered this today when I ordered Tom Waits so I'd qualify for the free shipping. It didn't occur to me that I should read this thread first. I'll like it, right?
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
m83

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com