M83 - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 PM   #181
The Male

Local Time: 11:17 AM
I don't believe so.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:33 AM   #182
45:33

Local Time: 06:17 AM
I haven't even finished disc one yet (playing it on youtube, I don't have enough money to buy it atm, fucking bummed) and I can't even contain myself to wait to the end. Incredible shit. Mofo is right in that's it worth buying for Midnight City alone but there hasn't been a bad track so far.

Don't know why people other than Ashley are complaining about Raconte Historie. Bit of a crappy start but the rest of it is pure bliss. It reminds me of the crescendo in So Here We Are by Bloc Party.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:53 AM   #183
Vocal parasite

I'm not so taken with the album as some of you. It's a solid 3.5/5, but most of what sticks out in my mind are the negative qualities, not the positives ... there is certainly nothing half as memorable as Kim & Jessie, and since I've always found M83 to be a "songs" rather than an "albums" band, the thing's definitely longer than it has any right to be.

But that's trifling compared to the fact that Raconte-Moi Une Histoire is one of the worst songs I've ever heard. Close to Brokencyde bad, and I'm not sure I'm being hyperbolic.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Axver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:56 AM   #184

I don't get the hate for that at all, I was expecting a trainwreck... and the start is kinda crap, and the girl talking is incongruous (though it's really not dissimilar to I Can Be a Frog on Embryonic by the Flaming Lips), but the rest of the song is outstanding!

I've loved every song so far. It's all a little similar and the only song I can recall so far is Midnight City, but that will change over time. Thrilling stuff.

Also should add this is the first M83 album I have heard. Would appear to suggest that people who say "wtf listen to X first" are kinda making it out to be a big deal when it's not.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:00 AM   #185
Blue Crack Distributor

Cobbler, I'm pretty sure the album is on grooveshark. No one should ever youtube an album ever

As for Ax's problems with the begatives sticking out in his head, I'm being completely honest when I say that I didn't find one negative thing to say about the album when it was over.

Cobbler, go listen to S=Y now.

Ii think Histoire is one of the most sonically beautiful, most adorable songs I've ever heard, but I'm repeating myself now so...bye!
Old 10-22-2011, 02:10 AM   #186
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobl04 View Post
I don't get the hate for that at all, I was expecting a trainwreck... and the start is kinda crap, and the girl talking is incongruous (though it's really not dissimilar to I Can Be a Frog on Embryonic by the Flaming Lips), but the rest of the song is outstanding!

I've loved every song so far. It's all a little similar and the only song I can recall so far is Midnight City, but that will change over time. Thrilling stuff.

Also should add this is the first M83 album I have heard. Would appear to suggest that people who say "wtf listen to X first" are kinda making it out to be a big deal when it's not.
I just think that on every M83 album, he's trying to outdo himself for terrible spoken word samples. At least this time the whole track blows and I can just delete it, unlike last time where Graveyard Girl is a great song ... until the graveyard girl talks.

And I don't think it matters where you start as long as you're enjoying it. Honestly sometimes it seems to me preferable to work up to the best/classic/"usual" albums, rather than starting there and possibly experiencing diminishing returns with subsequent albums.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #187
Blue Crack Distributor

Seriously? I can understand not liking the little girl, but you don't like the rest of the song?
Old 10-22-2011, 02:15 AM   #188
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
Seriously? I can understand not liking the little girl, but you don't like the rest of the song?
She craps on over the whole thing, doesn't she? Or am I remembering incorrectly? I've only listened to it all the way through once.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-22-2011, 02:16 AM   #189
Blue Crack Distributor

Incorrect sir, if I'm remembering correctly, and I just listened to the song today.
Old 10-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #190

Song goes for four minutes, she stops at 2:10
Old 10-22-2011, 02:24 AM   #191
Vocal parasite

Man, that's way more of her than I'm ever willing to stomach for whatever comes after.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-22-2011, 04:27 AM   #192
The Male

Raconte is adorable, harmless fluff, one of the more imaginative "interludes." I'm fine with it.

Now.
LemonMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #193

But the last two minutes!!! If it made me recall So Here We Are then it's awesome in my books.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #194
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:17 PM
I agree he sometimes goes overboard with spoken word, and I still can't stand it in Graveyard Girl, but at least with Raconte you are getting a different interpretation of it with a little girl's voice that's full of honesty, openness, and innocence, and most importantly, doesn't feel forced. Plus the music is excellent.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:17 PM
Here is my problem with Raconte, for whatever it's worth. He is already dealing with a theme that has been worn into the ground in at least a million other works from all over the artistic spectrum: the innocence and imagination of childhood. It is already obvious from the album title and cover. Then he feels compelled absolutely to lay the hammer to the listener's head by actually bringing in a little girl to recount a ludicrously saccharine tale. That he needs to resort to such blatant efforts to make his point is indicative of someone who does not trust his own ability to convey his ideas through lyrics or soundscapes. I don't know if he has any kids, but if that happens to be his daughter speaking on the track, it just might elevate it to pinnacle of the maudlin.

But I suppose that you folks know me by now; I just really dislike things that are overly emotional or precious.

Tags
m83