M83

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As long as the vocals are low in the mix, I generally don't care what is being sung. I mean, yeah, on a practical basis, most shoegaze bands don't need to put a lot of effort into their lyrics because you can't understand what the hell is being said anyway. If it's a type of music where the vocals are an integral part of the mix, though, there is no excuse for terrible lyrics. "B-but their lyrics are ALWAYS terrible!" doesn't fly for me. I'd sooner just not listen to the band at all.

M83 tends to fall into the former camp; I can't understand what they're going about most of the time, and Ractone is just some kid talking, so I don't give a fuck. Good song.

I see your point, LM, but the lyrics in Raconte are not buried in the mix: they are front and center, the focal point of the song. Oh well. We're clearly at an impasse here. I just don't think that "he's French" is an adequate justification for the spoken-word bit. The French have been responsible for some of the finest poetry and literature in history, and most of it translates smoothly into English. Continental Europeans also tend to learn languages with much more ease than Americans, so I'm sure that he knew exactly what he was doing with the song.

Anyways, Midnight City and Splendor are awesome. Zola Jesus's part in Intro is a great touch as well.

I just can't see any point in trying to look deeply into what a French guy who's notoriously included incredibly bizarre nonsensical English lyrics in songs for years now has to say in his lyrics. I'm not even sure if he knew what he was trying to say, it is what it is. The bizarre and "off" ESL lyrics have been part of the charm, why the hell is anyone trying to look for deep meaning in this crap? M83 started as a "no lyrics" type of band, you can't suddenly expect amazing deep lyrics in songs about frog licking from that. It's like slighting My Bloody Valentine because the lyrics to Soon are shallow (MBV pun intended), the lyrics aren't even the point of the music.

Basically this.

I think you guys are trying to find a shit-ton of meaning in this record that wasn't meant to be there.

Just relax and enjoy it like you would an Air record, or a Charlotte Gainsbourg record penned entirely by Air :lol:

It is a gorgeous album, though.

Yeah! Yeah!

04-22 San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
04-23 San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore

04-25 Portland, OR - Roseland Theatre
04-26 Seattle, WA - The Neptune

04-27 Vancouver, British Columbia - Vogue Theatre
04-29 Salt Lake City, UT - In the Venue
04-30 Denver, CO - Ogden Theatre

05-01 Lawrence, KS - Granada Theater

05-02 St. Louis, MO - The Pageant

05-04 Chicago, IL - The Vic
05-05 Detroit, MI - The Majestic Theatre
05-06 Toronto, Ontario - Sound Academy

05-07 Buffalo, NY - Town Ballroom
05-09 Boston, MA - House of Blues
05-10 New York, NY - Terminal 5
05-11 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer
05-12 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
05-14 Atlanta, GA - Buckhead Theatre
05-15 Nashville, TN - Marathon Music Works
05-17 Houston, TX - House Of Blues

05-18 Austin, TX - Stubb's Waller Creek
05-19 Dallas, TX - Granada Theater

I nearly fainted from exhaustion after furiously pumping my first in the air on my drive to work when the radio announced M83 were coming here.

What to do, I just realized the show is on a Sunday here, so I'm hesitant to buy multiple tickets, as I'm unsure if my friends will be able to / want to go on a Sunday. Then again, I'm sure if I just buy one, friends will immediately ask why I didn't get more. No venue should be open on Sundays in Utah, you think they'd just tell any band wanting to play that day that at best they're going to get 1/5 the crowd they would on any other day.

You could always flip it for face value if need be. That's my plan. Although the show here is a Friday, so I should be able to find a OK Pal.

Yeah! Yeah!

04-22 San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore
04-23 San Francisco, CA - The Fillmore

04-25 Portland, OR - Roseland Theatre
04-26 Seattle, WA - The Neptune

04-27 Vancouver, British Columbia - Vogue Theatre
04-29 Salt Lake City, UT - In the Venue
04-30 Denver, CO - Ogden Theatre

05-01 Lawrence, KS - Granada Theater

05-02 St. Louis, MO - The Pageant

05-04 Chicago, IL - The Vic
05-05 Detroit, MI - The Majestic Theatre
05-06 Toronto, Ontario - Sound Academy

05-07 Buffalo, NY - Town Ballroom
05-09 Boston, MA - House of Blues
05-10 New York, NY - Terminal 5
05-11 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer
05-12 Washington, DC - 9:30 Club
05-14 Atlanta, GA - Buckhead Theatre
05-15 Nashville, TN - Marathon Music Works
05-17 Houston, TX - House Of Blues

05-18 Austin, TX - Stubb's Waller Creek
05-19 Dallas, TX - Granada Theater

Plenty of room in there for two Coachella dates, especially since they will be in San Fran the last date of the two Coachella weekends. :hyper: :pray:

Ohhh shit, but do I want to see them at the Granada Theater.. I miss that place so much. The Vic will just have to suffice.

Awesome, I was really bummed that I had missed them on the first go. Bruce and M83 in a three-week span? Of course.

Obviously I am WAAYYY behind the times here, but I didn't realize until Record Store Day that Hurry Up, We're Dreaming even had a bonus track. I downloaded the album from iTunes and it wasn't included.

I didn't find a copy of Mirror on RSD, but in searching for a copy online, I discovered you can download the track by entering this code:

Code:
13I1818O1881O8181I31

at this website:

M83 - mirror

:up:

I have to say, it took a film trailer to make me realise how fantastic Outro is as a song and not as a glorified... well, outro.

Obviously I am WAAYYY behind the times here, but I didn't realize until Record Store Day that Hurry Up, We're Dreaming even had a bonus track. I downloaded the album from iTunes and it wasn't included.

I didn't find a copy of Mirror on RSD, but in searching for a copy online, I discovered you can download the track by entering this code:

Code:
13I1818O1881O8181I31

at this website:

M83 - mirror

:up:

doglock1.jpg

Cheers :up: what's everyone think of the track?

doglock1.jpg

Ooooh, thank you. Digging this bonus track.

doglock1.jpg

Thanks for the code and link, DB.

:ohmy:

rifle-used-as-a-bugle-darwin-award.jpg

The band links to that site for the track from their official site, not exactly piracy when they supported it.

Also, welcome to 5 months ago.

Back
Top Bottom