Low - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Just the Bang and the Clatter
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2005, 08:58 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:58 PM
Low

I searched back through 20 pages of threads and couldn't find a suitable Low thread, so here we go.

I just needed to say that I am finally, officially converted to being a fan of this band. mofo bought me their Christmas album last year, which I quite enjoyed. Other than that, I'd only heard a few songs here and there, including "Monkey" live via mofo's cell phone. A week or two ago, though, I heard "Laser Beam" on my LAUNCH station and thought it was just so beautiful. I had always liked Low, I just needed that one song to make me fall in love with their music. And now I have.

I expect mofo will be the only one to join me in this thread, but Low are a worthy band and deserve a little appreciation...and a thread of their own.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:00 PM   #2
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:58 AM
never heard their music, but i will look into it and get back to you...

Old 05-22-2005, 09:01 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:58 PM
oh, i thought you were talking about the R.E.M. song, lol.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
Blue Meth Addict

SO FREAKING GOOD

Let me give you a quick description of Low and their music (from allmusic):

Formed in Duluth, Minnesota in 1994, Low was perhaps the slowest of the so-called "slowcore" bands — delicate, austere, and hypnotic, the trio's music rarely rose above a whisper, divining its dramatic tension in the unsettling open spaces created by the absence of sound.

Low is 3 people, husband/wife duo Alan Sparhawk (guitar/vocals) and Mimi Parker (drums/vocals) and bassist Zak Sally. They're pretty much the leaders/best/biggest of the slowcore genre, but their music could also be described as lo-fi/sadcore/indie rock/dreampop. They recently moved to Sub Pop Records and released their most recent album with production from indie producer god Dave Fridmann, which is an incredible departure from their former slowcore albums (yet still amazing).

Their album 'Things We Lost in the Fire' is pretty much universally considered their best, and I would agree that it should be the first of their albums to check out. Their most recent is absolutely amazing, but you can only get the real impact of it if you've heard their previous works.

For further information, here's their website: http://www.chairkickers.com/

To see a concert review I wrote in March, go here: http://forum.interference.com/journa...&entryid=26188
Old 05-22-2005, 11:12 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

i have 'the great destroyer' which i really enjoy, but i haven't heard anything else by them. i will have to check out 'things we lost in the fire'.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:03 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:28 PM
Christ, have they been around so long? I've only just heard "Monkey" (on a late night video show here) and just thought it's amazing. Will investigate further.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:42 PM   #7
War Child

I own three Low albums, but it's been some time since I listened to them. They're kind of winter music for me. At times, I've been devastated by their work. Perhaps I'll go back and hear them all over again some summer evening.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:04 PM   #8
Blue Meth Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by barlowdog
I own three Low albums, but it's been some time since I listened to them. They're kind of winter music for me. At times, I've been devastated by their work. Perhaps I'll go back and hear them all over again some summer evening.
You really need to check out the new one, it's such a cool and well done departure for them. It was awesome to see how those songs translated live too.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:41 PM   #9
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

You really need to check out the new one, it's such a cool and well done departure for them. It was awesome to see how those songs translated live too.
Will do. I enjoy departures when they're done properly (ex; Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby).
Old 05-24-2005, 02:06 PM   #10
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:58 PM

HearlandGirl and U2PopMofo I wish you guys lived around me so I wouldn't have to talk to myself about good music.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:40 PM   #11
Blue Meth Addict

I agree, Rooster. That's why I love this section of Interference, there are a good number of people who you can talk about most anyone with.

Where are you, by the way? Utah here.

PS - You need to make a Dismemberment Plan thread. I've been meaning to for the last year, but never have (feared I would just be talking to myself)
Old 05-24-2005, 07:41 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by barlowdog
Barlowdog...a neighbor! I live on the "East Shore"

Anyway....LOW

I have seen them a handful of times and my cousin is actually pretty close friends with them (he toured with them a handful of times).

I was elated when I arrived in NYC to see Radioheade and saw them on the bill too. Stupid Radiohead fans BOO'd them.

I am a big fan (nevermind the fact that I am a fan of just about any band out of Minnesota).
Old 05-24-2005, 07:45 PM   #13
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo
I agree, Rooster. That's why I love this section of Interference, there are a good number of people who you can talk about most anyone with.

Where are you, by the way? Utah here.

PS - You need to make a Dismemberment Plan thread. I've been meaning to for the last year, but never have (feared I would just be talking to myself)

New Jersey here. I will make a Plan thread, once I get some time. Instead of one person it will now be two posting in it.
Old 05-24-2005, 08:25 PM   #14
War Child

[QUOTE]Originally posted by zoney!
[B]

Barlowdog...a neighbor! I live on the "East Shore"

Cool!! Did you see either of the recent U2 shows in Philly? Do you frequent any of the bars or clubs on second st? We should get together some time if you're up for it. Email me at lofi99@comcast.net
Old 05-24-2005, 08:27 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by TheRooster

HearlandGirl and U2PopMofo I wish you guys lived around me so I wouldn't have to talk to myself about good music.
I'm sincerely flattered.

No worries, Rooster. You can always talk to us on here!

Tags
low