Los Campesinos! -- WE ARE BEAUTIFUL, WE ARE DOOMED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Think Madison and Chicago. Should be a pretty good crowd.

I agree. The Explosions crowd at the Pabst was good as well. Quiet when necessary, but very into the show.

:hmm: I've never seen a show in Madison before. I imagine I'll get around to it eventually though.

IFS, you've won me over. I'm starting to dig We are beautiful, we are doomed.

Hardly surprised, but very glad. This is the natural reaction to the record. Honestly, I'm starting to have to split hairs, between the two records. I am in a continuous state of critical re-evaluation, so a "score" that I give a record, today, may be noticeably different, in another month or year. Because of that, I'm reticent to quantify my love for these records.

Still, the pull is strong, in the wake of so enjoying this weekend's gig. I think that I feel pretty confident about putting Holy On Now, Youngster... at 9.1, and We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed at 8.999999. I'm trying to factor in the post-show afterglow, here, so I could be under-compensating, if you know what I mean. For me, the problem I have in rating these two records so highly is that it sort of stiff-arms perspective. I rigorously critique (not criticize, mind you, but critique) art, and if I went with my heart and said, "Oh, yeah! Ballin'-ass albums! Easily in the 9.5 range!" then that means that they're probably BOTH among my top 20 records of all time.

At the moment, that feels right! Really, it does! But I know for a fact that "The End of the Asterisk" is a relatively weak track, to my ears, and no record that high above a 9.0 has a single weak track. Maybe a few less strong tracks, sure, but not any weak ones. Youngster... feels like it's going to stick with me for years to come (and is probably, then, closer to the mid-range 9s), at the very least, as I'm still listening to it several times a week, more than a year since the leak and almost two years since I first heard half of the songs on the mo'fucker. Beauty vs. Doom benefits from more explosive highs, rather than the measured intensity of the debut, and while I can't imagine it, right now, I all the same know that such records have, in the past, tapered off, for me. That's how it usually goes. I'm looking at you, All That You Can't Leave Behind. I'll be very curious to see how this all shakes down, in my brain.

I've repeatedly quoted from and linked to that PopMatters review of Youngster..., and I think that I'm willing to stand by it--If we're not talking about Hold On Now, Youngster... in 15 years, it'll only be because the band will have subsequently topped it. That sounds right. And it feels right, for me, when I say it to myself about the new album...but it really doesn't sound right, at all.

I think I may like the new title track and Documented Minor Emotional Breakdown #1 better than anything on Hold On Now, but yeah, there's a track or two that aren't great, so I have to give the edge to the first album.

How can they expect to build a West Coast following if they're only going to play Coachella this year?

This is fucked up.

They need to schedule some L.A./SF/SD shows forthwith.

It seems that an edited version of my review will appear on a blog, today. Not sure of exactly when, and it's nothing to get too jazzed up about, as I sort of know the people who run it. But still. It feels pretty decent. It's been a long time since I've gotten something published...although that sounds like a pretty liberal definition of the term. "Posted outside of a message board," we'll say. That works.

I'll set up a link, once things're finalized. And we'll read it together, for the first time. I really have no idea what it's going to look like. Something like that can probably only/largely benefit from being edited by someone other than me. I'm curious to see how it turns out. I used to be a copy editor, so I hope to keep myself in check, no matter how much I think that a given line or paragraph or, say, 1,000 extraneous words should've been included. That shit's a tough job.

It's not like it was some sort of diatribe railing against growing older. Read it.

I was being a smart ass, I just hadn't gotten around to reading all of the "longer" posts in this thread yet. I read all of your comments and REALLY relate.

I'm 31 and live in a place where if you're over 24 and still single, people assume there must be something severely wrong with you. Because everyone here gets married so early, I find myself relating with a lot of younger people as well, if not better, than a lot of married people my age. In regards to music, out side of things like The Jonas Brothers, I haven't found myself "not relating" to any sort of music as long as it's good. There admittedly are some shows that I won't go to by myself though, as I know I'll feel unbelievably out of place age wise if I'm not there with someone else. At least if you're with someone else, you can joke about being the chaperones the entire time.

As NSW mentioned, I too think it's an odd phenomenon that so many people can't move on past the music they liked in high school. I've said this before, but I really do think that while everyone says they like music, not everyone truly likes music. Your average person who proclaims they "love music" probably doesn't listen to much more than the radio in their car or their iPod at the gym. It goes without saying, but that's drastically different than most everyone on a forum like this, who spend nearly every day pouring over news about their favorite bands, delving into the lyrics and meanings of their favorite songs, trying to compare and contrast the production or sounds of the instruments, etc., etc.

Sometimes it honestly makes me feel embarrassed. When I tell people I work with or am friends with that I'm going to a concert, I almost never mention who is playing, as I know I'll get the blank stare or even worse, some sort of, "You listen to weird stuff" comment. Especially where I live, sometimes I feel like what fuels me and gets me through life is probably considered, "lame" or "unimportant" to the vast majority of people I know. Sometimes it's difficult to not think that maybe there is something inherently childish or silly about my biggest passion in life. Then I realize that if it wasn't for music, I'd either be the most depressed person on Earth, or completely wacko.

Sometimes it honestly makes me feel embarrassed. When I tell people I work with or am friends with that I'm going to a concert, I almost never mention who is playing, as I know I'll get the blank stare or even worse, some sort of, "You listen to weird stuff" comment. Especially where I live, sometimes I feel like what fuels me and gets me through life is probably considered, "lame" or "unimportant" to the vast majority of people I know. Sometimes it's difficult to not think that maybe there is something inherently childish or silly about my biggest passion in life. Then I realize that if it wasn't for music, I'd either be the most depressed person on Earth, or completely wacko.

That's pretty much my life. Even to people my age (19 :uhoh: ), a lot of the artists I see don't ring a bell. You're right about everyone "liking" music, but not everyone loving music too. A lot of people I know cannot fathom why I'm spending my college education on becoming a professor in popular music and culture, but to me, it's what I love, and I can't imagine NOT doing it. Oh, and I have a sticker on one of my notebooks right now that says, "music keeps me sane." It's so true...I don't know what my life would be like if I didn't have music.

u2pm--Tres great post. For realz. As for the avatar, I suppose that you've gotta do what you've gotta do. To each, his/her own.

If anybody's interested, here's the final version of my review. A spectacularly lenient edit, I say. Like...even I probably would've trimmed more than this. I approve of his decisions. You kids read the straight-up first draft, written in one sitting. This is his version of the second draft, written yesterday, in fits and starts. See what you think. Any input is welcome, as far as the writing is concerned.

Even more input is welcome, regarding Los Campesinos!. NSW, you're coming to Milwaukee, or else. It's either that or Minneapolis. I'll probably be in both places, so pick your poison: Laverne and Shirley, or The Hold Steady.

obviate media ? Blog Archive ? Believing Again: Los Campensinos! at Logan Square Auditorium

My only "complaint" is that the videos aren't embedded...and that's just cuz I love the videos, so much!

Well done, and I still relish the little bitter paragraph of hate in the middle of your love-fest. Perfect, and so fitting for Los Camp.

u2pm--Tres great post. For realz. As for the avatar, I suppose that you've gotta do what you've gotta do. To each, his/her own.

If anybody's interested, here's the final version of my review. A spectacularly lenient edit, I say. Like...even I probably would've trimmed more than this. I approve of his decisions. You kids read the straight-up first draft, written in one sitting. This is his version of the second draft, written yesterday, in fits and starts. See what you think. Any input is welcome, as far as the writing is concerned.

Even more input is welcome, regarding Los Campesinos!. NSW, you're coming to Milwaukee, or else. It's either that or Minneapolis. I'll probably be in both places, so pick your poison: Laverne and Shirley, or The Hold Steady.

obviate media � Blog Archive � Believing Again: Los Campensinos! at Logan Square Auditorium

My only "complaint" is that the videos aren't embedded...and that's just cuz I love the videos, so much!

Bravo!

Milwaukee is the likely choice. At least it's a short drive. No way I go to Minny. Well, I might, if it were a weekend and if the Twins were home. :hmm:

I haven't thought about music's impact on my life in nearly the way NSW or Scumbo has, so I don't have the personal messages they do. All I really have to say is that without yous guys and this whole Interference jaunt, I'd be seriously pathetic when it comes to my knowledge of music. I still am pathetic, but in a way that, while I'm pathetic in this context, I'm a fucking expert compared to my family and friends. So, that's getting somewhere. Sure, I don't have nearly as many albums as I'd like (and let alone how few of them I own legitimately on CD), but I'd be so much farther behind without this place.

My friends vary greatly in their musical expertise. None of my close friends have particularly good tastes in music, but some of my friends at school are pretty good, specifically some of the guys I'm trying to start a band with. It's always fun for me to talk about music I enjoy, because I generally feel so left out of the conversations about rap, or the dances in which everyone recognizes the songs playing and comments on them or sings along, and I cannot. Most of my age group has different tastes than I do. Very few criticize what I listen to, but, still, it's kind of alienating to not relate to their tastes. I can think of very few people I could talk to about any of the music I enjoy. Which makes the few times I can do so all that much more refreshing.

Bravo!

Milwaukee is the likely choice. At least it's a short drive. No way I go to Minny. Well, I might, if it were a weekend and if the Twins were home. :hmm:

The show (on a Saturday) in Minny is two days before the Twins home opener (on a Monday).

I haven't thought about music's impact on my life in nearly the way NSW or Scumbo has, so I don't have the personal messages they do. All I really have to say is that without yous guys and this whole Interference jaunt, I'd be seriously pathetic when it comes to my knowledge of music. I still am pathetic, but in a way that, while I'm pathetic in this context, I'm a fucking expert compared to my family and friends. So, that's getting somewhere. Sure, I don't have nearly as many albums as I'd like (and let alone how few of them I own legitimately on CD), but I'd be so much farther behind without this place.

My friends vary greatly in their musical expertise. None of my close friends have particularly good tastes in music, but some of my friends at school are pretty good, specifically some of the guys I'm trying to start a band with. It's always fun for me to talk about music I enjoy, because I generally feel so left out of the conversations about rap, or the dances in which everyone recognizes the songs playing and comments on them or sings along, and I cannot. Most of my age group has different tastes than I do. Very few criticize what I listen to, but, still, it's kind of alienating to not relate to their tastes. I can think of very few people I could talk to about any of the music I enjoy. Which makes the few times I can do so all that much more refreshing.

Nice.

To be fair, I'd put Laz, IYS and Scumbo one notch above me on the love of music scale. I adore music, I think that's obvious, but I think this trio adores it even more than I do. I don't even know how you quantify such a thing, but I believe it to be true. Still, my life without music would be a lesser thing, that's for sure.

Nice.

To be fair, I'd put Laz, IYS and Scumbo one notch above me on the love of music scale. I adore music, I think that's obvious, but I think this trio adores it even more than I do. I don't even know how you quantify such a thing, but I believe it to be true. Still, my life without music would be a lesser thing, that's for sure.

In the same way Lifeson is better than Edge, it's quantifiable. Factual, even.

In the same way Lifeson is better than Edge, it's quantifiable. Factual, even.

Alex Lifeson? Are you ripping on Rush for no reason? Is this from some thread I missed? WTF? Don't make me defend Rush, please, cos that's often a battle I fight solo and I'm not in the mood for that. KNIFE CRIME.

Alex Lifeson? Are you ripping on Rush for no reason? Is this from some thread I missed? WTF? Don't make me defend Rush, please, cos that's often a battle I fight solo and I'm not in the mood for that. KNIFE CRIME.

I'm guessing if I made you choose between Rush and Devin Harris, you'd just sit in a corner and cry.

Not everyone's cup of tea. Understood.

The HISTORIAN needs to dig that thread up for you.

I haven't listened to this album since it first came out, but I remember really enjoying it. I need some glee right now, so this seems like the suitable choice.

The HISTORIAN needs to dig that thread up for you.

I haven't listened to this album since it first came out, but I remember really enjoying it. I need some glee right now, so this seems like the suitable choice.

Wait, is NSW being serious?

Back
Top Bottom